• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

on my 8088 i got MS Network Client 3.0 & TCPIP to work

luvit

Experienced Member
i had the flu.. so i did something fun.
Microsoft Network Client 3.0 with TCPIP complained about not having an 80286.. i worked around that.
Then once i got around the 286 complaints, net.exe would hang.. i worked around that, too.
Then I made client 3.0 & tcpip bootable from floppies on my IBM 5150. -- i made a video.

Here is what I did link

Very nice! No time to look at it now but I will later. I've generally used the mTCP FTP server to transfer files to my 8088 through the network. My CF HDD is mounted on the front of the system so I just plug it into a USB reader if I need to do large amounts of data.

Heather

Very interesting.
In the IBM 5160 I recently bought, I found a Micom Interlan NI5010 card, and software was apparently installed on the HDD.
It looks like it's an early ethernet card. Sadly it only has a 15-pin d-sub and BNC connector, no RJ45. So getting it hooked up will take some effort. I have a PCI NE2000 card with BNC on it I think... would have to figure out how to set up a BNC network between two PCs :)
Then I have to figure out how to get the Interlan card working :)

If it has a 15-pin D-Sub its trivial to connect to a modern network. All you need is one of these:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cisco-ET...846?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f0b17b66 It is much harder connecting coax to a modern network as you require a switch that has both a coax port and twisted pair; not to mention all the issues you get with using coax.

A trick for new players is that some of the older combo network cards (10Base-T coax and AUI connectors) is that there is a jumper block that switches between outputs. I thought one of my WD8003E's was blown as a seemingly identical one worked with the transceiver but the other did not. Turns out the older card had a block of 8 jumpers which needed to be changed whereas the newer one auto selected.

Nice. Cheers for sharing.
Thanks. :)

Very nice! No time to look at it now but I will later. I've generally used the mTCP FTP server to transfer files to my 8088 through the network. My CF HDD is mounted on the front of the system so I just plug it into a USB reader if I need to do large amounts of data.

Heather
yeah, mtcp is awesome.. i'm using the network drive as a hard drive on my 5150.. so I need the drive letter.
I'm going to run mtcp on my XT, i bet.

Nice work. How much space does a Network Client 3.0 installation take?

I got TCP/IP working on my 8088's using lanman (http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcf...modern(ish)-network&highlight=3pcedev+lanman). The only downside is it takes about 5MB as I recall.
MS Network Client 3.0 only installs 1.5MB of files. I whittled it down to 197K ON Drive A: & the other floppy has 714K -- that's under 912K

Very interesting.
In the IBM 5160 I recently bought, I found a Micom Interlan NI5010 card, and software was apparently installed on the HDD.
It looks like it's an early ethernet card. Sadly it only has a 15-pin d-sub and BNC connector, no RJ45. So getting it hooked up will take some effort. I have a PCI NE2000 card with BNC on it I think... would have to figure out how to set up a BNC network between two PCs :)
Then I have to figure out how to get the Interlan card working :)
I use a tranceiver on that AUI port. They are universal. I only paid like $8
41JM7SAZGRL.jpg

If it has a 15-pin D-Sub its trivial to connect to a modern network. All you need is one of these:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cisco-ET...846?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f0b17b66 It is much harder connecting coax to a modern network as you require a switch that has both a coax port and twisted pair; not to mention all the issues you get with using coax.

I have seen BNC-to-RJ45 converters as well though: http://www.l-com.com/ethernet-converters-media-converter-10base-t-rj45-to-10base-2-thinnet-coax-bnc
But I suppose the AUI stuff is cheaper and more reliable.
My initial thought was to just connect two PCs via BNC, I only need file transfer. If need be, I could make a bridge out of the 'new' PC with a second network card with RJ45.

Cant beat those CentreCOM transceivers. I have about 5 of them which I collected for free over the years. They were all the rage when coax went the way of the dinosaurs; then as the old computers died they started to pile up.

It's not terribly hard to set up Thinnet really. Some Ts, terminators and suitable length/s of Thinnet cable for the hardware side, with maybe a hub with a bnc to hook into twisted pair ethernet segment. The software side is no different than using J45 nics.

A while back I had a home bnc network with a Linux box, a Wfw/Dos box sharing a ppp internet connection through a Win98 box. Worked a treat. Just made use of what was given to me. That reminds me, I still have a 15mtr length of coax under the house I must retrieve sometime.

Recently used thinnet to access the internet using Arachne on my 286 for giggles.

As mentioned above tranceivers are a good way to go if you want it all twisted pair and just connect it all via a 10/100 switch.

The old hubs and switches have cost no more than about $10 each at thrift stores.

Last edited:
Cant beat those CentreCOM transceivers. I have about 5 of them which I collected for free over the years. They were all the rage when coax went the way of the dinosaurs; then as the old computers died they started to pile up.

CentreCOM stuff is the bomb. They're tough and nowadays very cheap. At my old place of employment, my Apple Network Server 500 was connected to a CentreCOM 10Mbit hub, and the hub came home with the server. That hub is still in service. I estimate it's about 20 years old.

My Solbourne S3000 and Network General sniffer both have CentreCOM transceivers. I have a whole box of the things. They breed like hamsters.

i had the flu.. so i did something fun.
Microsoft Network Client 3.0 with TCPIP complained about not having an 80286.. i worked around that.
Then once i got around the 286 complaints, net.exe would hang.. i worked around that, too.
Then I made client 3.0 & tcpip bootable from floppies on my IBM 5150. -- i made a video.

Here is what I did link

This link no longer works. :( I'd like to be able to do this.

i added mTCP to the boot sequence prior to the MS Network Client 3.0.. mTCP updates the clock in my 8088 via NTP.
there will eventually be a video of the 8088 with mTCP & MS Network Client 3.0 added in the link

I am having a heck of a time getting up here. I have a WD8003W but kept my net settings the same. Problem is that the network card is new to the computer and I have no idea how to figure out The 280, D800 and IRQ settings that do not conflict. I disabled everything onboard the motherboard. I have the manuals for the machine, but can't find the open port settings guide or anything. Arg.

It is much harder connecting coax to a modern network as you require a switch that has both a coax port and twisted pair;
No, you don't. You can use any PC with two network cards installed as a bridge between two physically different networks. It's not complicated at all.

Anyone ever try using a NIC with both 10Base2 and 10BaseT interfaces as a bridge?

Is such a thing even possible? On every card that I'm aware of you choose your transceiver by DIP switches or when you initialize the card. Flipping back and forth between the two different media types would be difficult.

Back