• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Floppy reliability. Is it just me?

this is word for word exactly my thoughts on the PM/AM thing. I can never remember what it means even though I've read the explanation many times.
You have got to realize that it is exactly the same way around for Americans when they see 24 hour time. Every time I see a time of "17:00" on something I almost have to break out a freaking calculator to figure out what that means. Although military might use it, there are NO public facing usages of 24-hour time in the US. Only 12-hour time is used on TV, radio, newspapers, signs, or anything like that. A good chunk of people here don't even know that 24-hour time even exists.

Things like 12-hour time, english units, m/d/yy are taught to people here at the earliest ages and sometimes literally beaten in to them. For example, all school assignments may be required to be dated in the format m/d/yy, and doing anything even slightly different will result in an instant "F".

The point is, this is all deeply, deeply, deeply, ingrained. And is not going anywhere any time soon.

The MMDDYYYY usage follows English-language usage. When we write a date in a letter or other document, it's always January 23, 2096 or some such. There are some who will write 23 January 2096, but those are mostly military folks. I know that's not the case in other languages.

The 12-hour clock is ancient, spanning many cultures. You live with it. I wish that we'd get rid of "Daylight Savings Time", however--there exists no good reason for it, other than to disrupt people's sleep patterns.

I don't think the word "capacitor" came into common technical usage until the 1960s. You'd still talk about capacitance, but the device was a condenser. It's sort of akin to declaring an Imperial-system ruler an "incher" or a "footer" or, in the case of a longer one, a "yarder". (I suppose the metric system equivalence would be a "meterer".) The "condenser" thing goes back to the early days of electricity, specifically, electrostatics. A condenser took the static charge and "condensed" it into a form that could be stored in a tinfoil-lined glass Leyden jar.

I suspect that the "capacitor" thing was done to bring some sort of uniformity to "resistor, inductor, capacitor".

On the other hand, "Hertz" was a step backward in naming. "Cycle" precisely reconciled the measurement of frequency to geometry. "Hertz" says nothing.

In a similar vein, the use of "siemens" as the SI unit for the "mho" makes absolutely no sense at all. Not only does "mho" have a very clear notation as the reciprocal of the ohm, but the Siemens unit used to mean a resistance (about 0.95 ohms)--so it could be argued that Werner von Siemens himself contributed the confusion of the value of an ohm. "Mho" goes back to Lord Kelvin, who already has a unit named after him.

Last edited:
You have got to realize that it is exactly the same way around for Americans when they see 24 hour time.
I know quite a few Americans and many of them seem to be ok with 24 hour time.

Every time I see a time of "17:00" on something I almost have to break out a freaking calculator to figure out what that means.
You mean it's that difficult for you to subtract 12 from the hours from 13 to 24? That's pitiful! :)

BTW we too have to cope with dual system in Europe. Pipers are still using 3/4inch (example) pipes and cars have horse power. TV screens are measured in inches as well. And as Krille pointed out whole Europe is using word kondensator. But that it is I believe :) Those are the last remnants of the past.

I didn't know capacitors used to be called condensers in english.....

The Capacitor / Condenser thing goes way back, I most notably remember the Points/Condenser ignition system from my younger days. Good ole days :)

If we could just get rid of that 12-hour time format then I would be quite relaxed with the rest - I am unable to wrap my head around the pm/am thingy, and even when I get it I can never remember (for more than five secs) what 12am *really* means. Or 12pm? See, I can't even remember which one of those even exists. After all, artificial light was invented a *very* long time ago and the 24 hour day was introduced then - before that apparently (yes really) only the hours with light were counted.

I'll gladly swich to 24-hour time once they figure out whether midnight is supposed to be 24:00 or 0:00. :p

Here in New Zealand we shifted from British Imperial units to metric around the late 1960s. Around the same time we also simplified our currency from British "pounds, shillings and pence" to "dollars and cents". It was done quite quickly.

Hence at school I learnt all those clumsy conversions (how many feet in a yard, yards in a mile, pounds in a stone etc.) but by the time I went University in the late 1970s that was all gone.

Thank goodness for that! The metric system is just so much simpler!

Tez

I wish that we'd get rid of "Daylight Savings Time", however--there exists no good reason for it, other than to disrupt people's sleep patterns.

Chuck, I'm running for President in 2020. Eliminating the DST is on my list, after I fix the VA and make it so veterans don't have to pay federal income tax ever again. That's the least we should do, if we can pay them or heal them.

Boatload of metric in the US military. Units of mass, distance, and volume are commonly communicated in the metric manner.

Temperature isn't commonly measured in metric units, though.

Time is obviously 24 hour, because it's faster and less likely to cause confusion. Most of these numbers are easy enough to understand, but temperature can be confusing because of the way each unit works.

The bugger of it all, however, is length. Metric users insist on using millimeters and centimeters for medium-length measurements. Civilian US has the foot. The metric system has an equivalent, but it's not used. Calculation is easy, but if they just used the darn unit to begin with, stuff would be faster.

The bugger of it all, however, is length. Metric users insist on using millimeters and centimeters for medium-length measurements. Civilian US has the foot. The metric system has an equivalent, but it's not used. Calculation is easy, but if they just used the darn unit to begin with, stuff would be faster.

The biggest advantage of measuring length in feet is that an average-sized adult male can get a pretty good estimate just by putting one foot in front of the other while walking.

Easier to take a long step to estimate yard/meters. We use both metric and imperial measurements at work and its easy enough to go from one to the other.

I completely agree with Chuck(G) about DST - it's an idea which makes no sense in a modern world. Except that for many areas the "summer time" is what should have been used all year. What happens in Norway when we go from DST to winter time is that it gets dark in the afternoon an hour earlier (high latitude: short days). Exactly when that is not what you need. While in the spring nothing is gained.

I suspect many timezones reflect an older world where people got up at an earlier time (by the clock) to work in the fields or something. Not the 08:00 - 16:00 world of e.g. today's Norway. With that in mind Norway would be better off with "DST" year around: Afternoons brighter for longer in the winter. As it is, DST does nothing for the summer - it is bright all the time anyway.

Japan doesn't use DST, it's UTC+9 year around. But +10 (all year) would actually be a more natural time zone, in my opinion. Again it probably reflects a time when most people worked on the fields very early in the morning. As it is, sunrise is early and it gets dark very early in the afternoon from November or so. "Wasted" daylight, in a sense.
But at least there's no one-hour sudden change to sleep patterns twice a year.

And yes in Norway and many other countries in Europe at the same longitude (or more east) many people argue for "keeping DST" all year. But it's not going to happen, because governments always argue that we have to follow the other countries in Europe (never mind the same discussion going on in the "other" countries), and never accepting it for serious discussion.

I'll have to agree about Hertz vs. cycles too.. it's nice and all to use a name for a unit where it has no other natural reference (e.g. Ampere, Volt), but cycles is different. When I started in electronics it was Hertz, obviously, but you could still hear the echo of the cycles of the past for some years yet. 'mho' I'm either too young to have heard about, or it's just that the unit which it represents (as with Siemens) is not something you'll see much outside the field, unlike 'cycles' which you could see on any old radio.

Fun topics all around so far :p

3.5" disks inhaled upon the proverbial equine of short stature from the day they were introduced. The increase in capacity was offset by goofy "doors" that usually broke with the spring for them scratching up the media, that stupid metal connector that invariable got magnetized ruining track 0, even when they don't mechanically fail the handful of working media has a life span measured in weeks, and that's assuming more than half a box of disks worked new -- and that was twenty years ago when the tech was in it's "prime".

Today, new drives if you can find them are less reliable than pulls from the dump that sat outside in the snow for a week, format support for anything other than 1.44 meg is nonexistent in many OS (yes windblows, I'm looking at you) and nobody has actually manufactured new media in so long, the "reject rate" in my experience has surpassed 75%. For every pack of ten I open regardless of the source, I'm lucky if more than half of them work at all, much less finding one where there isn't at least one track that isn't totally banjaxed. making writing .img files with rawrite an exercise in futility.

... meanwhile I still have original 5.25" in formats ranging from 135k TRS-80 to 1.2meg PC that work today as well as they did thirty years ago! The only time I've had 5.25" disks go bad is when something stupid happens like coworkers covering their system in refrigerator magnets or some dipshit stapling them to a report. (actual incidents from 20+ years ago). Very first box of 3.5" disks I ever had half of them wouldn't format to full capacity and two of them wouldn't even format.

It was NEVER a good technology, sure as hell wasn't reliable, and I'm thankful every day that I'm not stuck HAVING to use them just because the industry suddenly got a raging chodo for slapping them into every blasted system out there... and curse every time I have to deal with something like a PS/2 and drag out the external 5.25" just so I have a WORKING floppy drive. To be fair optical wasn't exactly a real improvement in reliability given the microwave art I have decorating one wall and my set of drink 'coasters' in the living room... sad when flash with it's write limit is a more reliable technology; even sadder when even ZIP was better EVEN taking "click of death" into account!

Plow asunder 3.5" -- whoever engineered that crap deserves a massive pimp-slap with a wet trout. Admittedly, I say the same thing about SATA connectors.

In many ways it's what I'd classify as false ruggedization, a close cousin to false simplicty. False simplicity is where something is so simplified it makes the job it was designed to do harder; false ruggedization is the other end of the spectrum where you over-engineer to the point there's just so much more to go wrong it breaks every time a breeze wafts in the window!

Kind of what the programming mantra I had drilled into my head by a nun with a ruler, "The less code you use the less there is to break", was meant to address. Something lost on todays coding dipshits who dive for massive "frameworks" to do everything for them, usually making them write more code to make the framework do what they want than if they'd simply written it without the framework in the first blasted place!

As to daylight savings, it's idiotic nonsense, who the **** wants it to still be sunny and hot at ten o'clock at night in the summer?!? Honestly in my experience it's not just that the summer numbers would make more sense in winter, the winter numbers would make more sense in summer! I don't see why anyone would want it pitch black out at 4:30 in the afternoon in -9F weather any more than broiling hot in the middle of the night; hence why I think it should be fall forwards and spring back -- which is usually why even the saying to "help" remember is gibberish since I usually when I fall it's forwards flat on my face, and typically if I were to spring, it's back in horror.

Hz vs. Cycles? I was always taught that if you say cycles you don't have time involved, if you say hz you have a timer interval. You say "20 cycles" the question becomes "over how long", you say "20 cycles at 2 hz" then it means something. They're two different but related things.

Then of course there's metric -- and for all of you out there who are fans of said idiocy, do the world a favor and sierra tango foxtrot uniform! It is the MOST arbitrary numbering system I could imagine since there is no legitimate math supporting it! It is entirely based on the mouth-breathing halfwit practice of counting on one's fingers in a most inefficient manner -- the pinnacle of "Ooh I cans haz then fingarz!!!"

Even the ancient Sumerian made more sense, they used base 60. 2*2*3*5, so that at every step you can divide by 2, 3, 4 or 5 without resorting to fractions. There's a reason we still use that on clocks and for navigation.

In that way, inches, feet, yards and chains make SENSE since you can at least divide a foot by 2, 3 or 4 without resorting to fractions or decimal places. Mixing a 5 and maybe a 7 in would be nice, but oh no3z, th4t mite envulves actchewal maths... Which with Joe Sixpack and Susie Sunshine making Teen Talk "Math is hard" Barbie look like Alan freaking Turing, GOOD LUCK THERE!

If metric is so superior, why aren't headings and angles measured in 100 "degrees" to a circle? If metric is so superior, why has most everyone except the Chinese and Koreans switched back to feet and miles for altitude and speed, INCLUDING THE RUSSIANS SWITCHING AWAY FROM METRIC IN 2011! If metric is so superior why haven't we switched to ten decons a day where each decon is broken into 100 centons? Or are people that afraid of Cylons?!? :p

See why Celcius pisses me off; joe forbid you call it degrees, then have 180 of them between freezing and boiling... but sure, that decision was "arbitrary", certainly SO MUCH more arbitrary than "I have ten fingers" as a basis for an entire numbering system regardless of how needlessly complicated it makes things... RIGHT... What's a cubit?

From a purely mathematical standpoint, decimal is just plain stupid, that we've accomplished anything meaningful with it is more a testament to human determination and persistence than it is the usefulness of it as a numbering system. I've often wondered if it was given to the West by the Arabic culture in the same way C and Unix was unleashed upon the world.

But there's a LOT of stuff people do or think saves time or is more efficient I just shake my head at in either utter and complete disbelief, or outright disgust to the point of nausea.

See HTML/CSS frameworks, JS frameworks, PHP frameworks, trying to time a single iteration of operations with interrupts disabled instead of how many iterations can be done over a fixed period of time interrupts enabled (so you have some clue what the BIU invalidation impact is)... Oh this is easier, and that is easier, and some other damned thing is easier...

montoya.jpg

Seriously folks, what's in this kool aid you're all sipping and who did you get it from?

Last edited:
I remember the early 5.25" drives and disks were considerably less reliable than the 8" drives and disks I had access to at that time. 3.5" drives were very reliable with all the floppy drive only computers like the Mac. I think 3.5" HD suffered from two problems: thinner disk material wears out faster and the hastily thrown together standard codified the initial HD design IBM used in 1987 preventing any improvements that mass usage might show. The 5.25" standards all followed more than 5 years of production instead of about 1 year for 3.5" standards.

Fun topics all around so far :p

3.5" disks inhaled upon the proverbial equine of short stature from the day they were introduced. The increase in capacity was offset by goofy "doors" that usually broke with the spring for them scratching up the media, that stupid metal connector that invariable got magnetized ruining track 0, even when they don't mechanically fail the handful of working media has a life span measured in weeks, and that's assuming more than half a box of disks worked new -- and that was twenty years ago when the tech was in it's "prime".

Blame the standards committees. The original 3.5" floppies spun at 600 RPM, not 300--and were presented as the answer to "shirt pocket media". The 600 rpm version (I wonder why there isn't a unit corresponding to someone's last name for that unit? Or maybe there is and I've not been paying attention) has a lot going for it, including compensation for the lower linear velocity of the medium (recall that the energy induced in the head is proportional to the square of the linear velocity of the medium). Anyone who's tried to fool with a Weltech (sp?) 1.2M drive for use on a standard PC or XT surely has run up against this. I don't live inside of a MRI machine, so I've never noticed any difference between storage of 3.5" disks that have a plastic slider and those that have a metal one. The 3.25" disks weren't any better; basically the same problem--low media velocity and really terrible protection of the medium. But people wanted a portable medium that would fit in a shirt pocket and they got what they deserved.

I do 40-year old 8" floppy retrieval quite a lot and have no problems with it.

Today, new drives if you can find them are less reliable than pulls from the dump that sat outside in the snow for a week, format support for anything other than 1.44 meg is nonexistent in many OS (yes windblows, I'm looking at you) and nobody has actually manufactured new media in so long, the "reject rate" in my experience has surpassed 75%. For every pack of ten I open regardless of the source, I'm lucky if more than half of them work at all, much less finding one where there isn't at least one track that isn't totally banjaxed.

One thing that changed around 1992 was that floppy manufacturing moved to China. What also didn't help is that the supporting industry for floppy media, VHS cassettes, fell into decline.

Plow asunder 3.5" -- whoever engineered that crap deserves a massive pimp-slap with a wet trout. Admittedly, I say the same thing about SATA connectors.

I say the same thing about USB connectors, "modular" (e.g. xBaseT) connectors and a host of others.

Hz vs. Cycles? I was always taught that if you say cycles you don't have time involved, if you say hz you have a timer interval. You say "20 cycles" the question becomes "over how long", you say "20 cycles at 2 hz" then it means something. They're two different but related things.

"cycles" was shorthand for "cycles per second" and in that understanding is perfectly logical as "cycle" itself is dimensionless, so Hertz must be the reciprocal of a second. So, theoretically, we have Hz-m for velocity and Hz[sup]2[/sup]m for acceleration. The point is that "Hz" hides the dimensionality of a quantity--and in a silly way.

Then of course there's metric -- and for all of you out there who are fans of said idiocy, do the world a favor and sierra tango foxtrot uniform! It is the MOST arbitrary numbering system I could imagine since there is no legitimate math supporting it! It is entirely based on the mouth-breathing halfwit practice of counting on one's fingers in a most inefficient manner -- the pinnacle of "Ooh I cans haz then fingarz!!!"

Well, I think it's noteworthy that in binary fractional notation, it's impossible to exactly represent 1/10. Oops...

See why Celcius pisses me off; joe forbid you call it degrees, then have 180 of them between freezing and boiling... but sure, that decision was "arbitrary", certainly SO MUCH more arbitrary than "I have ten fingers" as a basis for an entire numbering system regardless of how needlessly complicated it makes things...

From a physical unit standpoint, Celsius (note the spelling) makes a lot of sense. 0 is freezing, 100 is boiling for water at 1 atmosphere. It's the best, I think, of several competing scales (Reamur, Rømer, Newton, Delisle, Fahrenheit). How would you like to have water boil at 0? That's the Delisle scale.

That's one of the reasons that I keep yammering on about decimal computers. Very common in times past, but not so much now--most young'uns don't even realize that decimal computers were once the dominant system.

I propose that we cut everyone's thumbs off and revert to base 8 for our number system. :)

How would you like to have water boil at 0? That's the Delisle scale.

Celsius originally used a reversed scale as well, with water boiling at 0 degrees and freezing at 100 degrees.

I propose that we cut everyone's thumbs off and revert to base 8 for our number system. :)

CompuServe used octal for their user ID numbering system. I was 76362,2023. No 8's or 9's to be found anywhere. :)

Back