• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The MikeS Ban

This got MikeS banned from VCF? You seriously have to be kidding? Or am I missing something...?

No. It was a few years of buildup going back to 2011.

After a few years one gets constant of the tired sniping. Especially after there have been quite a few incidents and interventions.

I have a right to not be repeated harassed here. The others he has done it to have just simply moved on.

Last edited:
I had been wondering where MikeS was for quite some time now. So this thread got him banned? Mike B, in this he did nothing wrong, he did not troll you, and I can tell you, as a moderator on another forum myself (and having moderated several other forums before), what you just did would get *you* banned on the forum I'm currently moderating (not by me, but by the site owners).

And yes I have been reading VCF long enough not to buy into that buildup thing.

-Tor

Thanks to all of the Monday morning quarterbacks ...

The site owner (Erik) has been involved and aware the entire time. This has been an ongoing problem and the repeated warnings, banning, and unbanning cycle got quite old.

You are free to contact Erik for his insight. But please, do not pretend to judge with incomplete data.

We get it... you don't like the guy, and he had been getting under your skin for quite a while. But is that really a bannable offense? If you had been getting complaints about him from other users, maybe so. But provoking the confrontation by calling him a troll sure does seem like a cheap shot.

Are you reading the same thread? MikeS implying that I'm just repeating things that have already been pointed out (when clearly I was not) is not provocative? What exactly was there to gain from the nitpicking?

This is *exactly* the pattern - nitpick on something small and get it to escalate. We've become very adept at spotting the pattern. Go look at his previous threads.

Given the prior history I have gone far out of my way not to comment or reply to any posts made by MikeS to avoid things being misinterpreted and escalating. MikeS does not extend me the same courtesy. I'm tired of being nitpicked and harassed. So yes, he got banned again.

And once again, none of this happens in a vacuum. He's done this to other people - nobody seems to care or recognize their lost contributions to this forum because they just didn't come back.

Please people, stop with the second guessing:

• You don't have the whole story.
  • I'm not doing this alone. The site owner has been involved in all of the previous incidents.

I'll specifically alert Erik to this thread if he has not seen it. If he thinks I'm being overly sensitive then the ban will be lifted.

I'll specifically alert Erik to this thread if he has not seen it. If he thinks I'm being overly sensitive then the ban will be lifted.

It's not a matter of you being overly sensitive. It's the fact that you provoked Mike by calling him a troll, and then banned him when he responded.

So, the post where MikeS implies I replied without adding anything to the thread is not a provocation in any way? It doesn't fit the pattern of nitpicking and escalating?

You are being very selective in your reading.

Let's wait for Erik to weigh in. Closing for now, as we are going in circles.

I have to say that I think it's great that folks are rallying to the banner of a comrade. It shows how close-knit the family here really is.

In this case, however, there are historical and behind-the-scenes elements to the story that do factor in. They alter the context of what was seen in this thread.

MikeS has had these incidents with other forum members before and he has been asked to stop before. Eventually the incorrigible recidivism takes its toll.

I am sorry if you disagree with our decision, but it stands.

BTW, I pulled the above from an otherwise useful thread. That one should no longer contain discussions about MikeS.

This one may be used to have that discussion but it has to remain civil for the thread to remain open. Please.

Cheers!

Thanks for keeping the thread open as I have been virtually absent from VCF for longer spells each time as this style of persistent or persuasive communication stands out to me more often. This is the nature of brief posts on an internet forum, something we live with. In fact, before this ban, I've had more content contributions to a fledgling vintage PC forum where it doesn't exist at this time.
This is a close-knit forum, as Erik said. It's a community where someone may rub you differently than how they rub their pals. In real life this happens. In emails this happens. It's how you may read into the content of someone you are cynical about. At the most, MikeS may have given a ribbing, but it was not harassment, MB.

MB, in a PM with me on DEC 31st, you shared that MikeS picks open wounds and you just short circuited the process to ban him. It was hook-line-&-sinker.
There was no water under bridge for MikeS. You were looking for this day. Calling him a troll and escalating the conversation did seem like a cheap shot, per vwestlife.
If we all had a button and a low level of tolerance or temperament, to ban people from earth.. there would eventually be one lonely guy left.
This post is totally non-aggressive, it's perspective of that precise moment on VCF, not bad blood you may have in the past or outside of VCF.. the moment you were looking for once he returned over 6 months earlier.

Like I said, I don't frequent here like I used to, but that may increase over time. I emailed MikeS last night. He asked me to pass this on to his buddies.
MikeS said:
I was sent a link to this thread and thought perhaps I might be allowed to respond:

Yes, admittedly over the years I have been drawn into some exchanges (especially with Mike B) that I would have been wise to stay out of or at least cut short. About a year ago Erik asked me to try to avoid those conversations and in particular to not aggravate Mike, and I thought I'd done that; if not, I'd appreciate a link to an example.

As to the post at issue here, believe it or not it was only intended to thank Mike for explicitly replying to my question, but I thought it only fair to also acknowledge Krille's replying earlier with more or less the same answer.

I'll admit to reacting badly to Mike's insulting accusation that I was trolling, but I hardly think that that was an example of "incorrigible recidivism"...

In any case, I don't mind at all being banned. I appreciate the friends I've made here and want to warmly thank the folks who supported me, both on and off list; it meant a lot.

So long, and thanks for all the fish ;-) I look forward to seeing some of you elsewhere.

I too have been following this for a time, just haven't said anything about it. mbrutman is right, if this has been going on for quite sometime, off and on, repetitively, then yes, the ban was called for and well within rights of both mbrutman and erik. And yes, i did read that thread and MikeS did come off as kind of rude, and something like that should have been taken to PM at the very least. Normally i would side with the common folk, and a warning would suffice, but i don't know more than what is said in this thread, and agree with the site administration.

Just my 2 pennies of thought.

How many people (outside of scammers and the usual spammers) have been banned from here? People with a decent post count (100+)?

3 other members with 100+ posts have had permanent bans from what I've found. Reporting on this is a little troublesome, but Erik or MB may still chime-in to report any missing perma bans with over 100posts.
Links to details are below.

Code:
Chris2005 - 572 posts
December 25th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Offending dialogue has been removed.

frozenfire75i - 599 posts
April 12th, 2009, 08:12 PM
[url]http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?15127-IBM-5150-51-52-53-Design-Specs&p=97747#post97747[/url]

AppleIIfan - 395 posts
February 7th, 2012, 04:52 PM
[url]http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?29187-AppleIIfan-s-M100-amp-DVI-only-600&p=210978&highlight=banned#post210978[/url]

Last edited:
Well I remember the last one of those three you listed - and that ban I for one support 100%.

The issue I have with this current ban (and it's the only ban of those I've been aware of that I've had an issue with) is simply that it was based on one non-offensive post - apparently because of previous history a "hair trigger" threshold was set - and even that principle I'm not against. But the post in question could only be used that way when one is willing to read sarcasm and attacks into everything. Give me a 100 year history and I would still not interpret that particular post that way. The reply post, from the moderator though - not good. That's the one that should never have been posted.

-Tor

I have not followed the thread, and do not know MikeS or mbbrutman, so I do not want to comment on this particular epsiode.
But a few days ago, a friend of mine happened to write this blog, which I think is very appropriate here. Perhaps we can take a few pointers from it:
http://shifterofbits.com/the-delicate-art-of-forum-moderation/
The sentiment that I liked most was this one:
And if threads blow up anyway – we’re just people after all – let it play out! The contributors were trying to get a point through and interrupting a conversation will not change that wish.

3 other members with 100+ posts have had permanent bans from what I've found. Reporting on this is a little troublesome, but Erik or MB may still chime-in to report any missing perma bans with over 100posts.
Links to details are below.

Code:
Chris2005 - 572 posts
December 25th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Offending dialogue has been removed.

frozenfire75i - 599 posts
April 12th, 2009, 08:12 PM
[url]http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?15127-IBM-5150-51-52-53-Design-Specs&p=97747#post97747[/url]

AppleIIfan - 395 posts
February 7th, 2012, 04:52 PM
[url]http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?29187-AppleIIfan-s-M100-amp-DVI-only-600&p=210978&highlight=banned#post210978[/url]

As a side note, at least one of those is currently a regular member here again. Maybe behaving better than before?

This isn't my site--so what I say has no more weight than a feather.

However, I recognize that people do have bad days and some are just naturally abrasive. We are all human, after all--until the machines take over, that is. Then we'll have no excuses.

I do think that some allowances should be made and some leeway afforded for bad behavior.

... We are all human, after all--until the machines take over, that is...
Are you talking about...

attachment.php

the Krell Machines?

Attachments

• tumblr_lxibvbix231r9xwoho1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_lxibvbix231r9xwoho1_1280.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1
Back