• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Which modern keyboard feels most like retro clicky keyboards?

TRS-Ian

Veteran Member
The keyboard in my modern windoze 7 box has worn out, again, its a cheap microsoft and like most modern keyboards, feels dead to type on.

Who makes a keyboard which feels like clicky keyboards of old?

Asus Strix and some Corsair K series have proper mechanical keyswitches... or so their advertising says.

What do you use?

Ian.

Thanks guys, I should also point out that I have two IBM Model Ms, and while I love them, I use the Window key a lot, as well as the multi media controls...

I'm going to try out a Das Keyboard 3 which uses the Cherry Blue mechanical key switches..

The Das looks like it's a step up from the Asus Strix and Corsair, but if I don't like it I'll definitely look into a Unicomp.

Cheers,

Ian.

I've got one of the fancy Corsair K70 gaming keyboards, and it does indeed have Cherry MX Red keyswitches with a decent clicky sound and feel. At the $200 price tag though it had better have a good feel to it...

There are actually quite a few of the gaming keyboards going back to the actual Cherry keyswitches nowdays, so there's probably some cheaper options out there that lack the frivolous extras like per key backlighting and whatnot. A quick look at my local retailers website shows me various brands and models with brown, red, blue and black cherry keyswitches, though I note that the blacks have a comment regarding that they don't provide tactile/audible feedback despite having the heaviest key weight.

Myself, I'm quite happy with the look and feel (and sound) of this keyboard. At the price of most of these gaming keyboards though I'd be tempted to try and find them on display to give a quick try before buying anyways.

Last edited:
Of all the modern mechanical keyboards I have used, I would have to say my daskeyboard with blue switches behaves the most like the classics. Perhaps a bit snappier than them, but still very close in feel. They are not cheap by any means, but you do get a quality keyboard that will last a very long time. Make sure you get blue or green switches if you want the click in your keys.

I have also used similar mechanical keyboards from Corsair and Filco. But, for the weight and sturdiness, the daskeyboard would be my choice.

http://www.daskeyboard.com/

What does one use the "Windows" key for, anyway? :)

The Cherry-equipped models or the Unicomps (you can get those with the "Windows" key are probably your best bet if you're looking for new.

What does one use the "Windows" key for, anyway? :)

There are quite a few handy shortcuts in Windows with that key... such as Windows+E to open a new explorer window, or Windows+D to minimize all windows to show the desktop (and Windows+D again to restore the windows).

In Windows 8 there are a number of new shortcuts, mostly in combination with the new start screen.
So especially with Win8+, I wouldn't want to be without it :)

In Windows 8 there are a number of new shortcuts, mostly in combination with the new start screen.
You do realize that is actually a major design flaw with their toy metro user interface. WordPerfect 4.2 also uses all kinds of keyboard commands, but I am very happy to be without that.

So far as I'm concerned when it comes to keyboards it's always preferable to have too many keys instead of too few.
Somewhere I have or had a keyboard with crap like "Internet Shopping Keys". I think we can do without those.

So far as I'm concerned when it comes to keyboards it's always preferable to have too many keys instead of too few.

Hmmm, so you use the 122-key Model M?
1397000.jpg

I've always wondered why the Apple fanboyz don't obsess over the number of keys on their keyboards.

The windows key doesn't bother me. You know what really bothers me on modern-day keyboards? Changing the configuration/size of the Ins/Del/Home/End/PgUp/PgDown keys.

There are quite a few handy shortcuts in Windows with that key... such as Windows+E to open a new explorer window, or Windows+D to minimize all windows to show the desktop (and Windows+D again to restore the windows).

1) One Explorer window is enough for me and it's always open from boot.

2) The show desktop button is already on the taskbar and it's easier.

3) I don't use WIN 8 and don't want to use it so I guess I'm OK. :)

4) I still prefer a Model M over anything else.

Somewhere I have or had a keyboard with crap like "Internet Shopping Keys". I think we can do without those.

I dunno, you can actually have fun with some of that crap. For instance, once in the midst of a fit of boredom I hacked together a keymap that let me use a button and the volume knob on one of those "multimedia" keyboards as a reasonably effective paddle controller for the 2600 emulator Stella.

Hmmm, so you use the 122-key Model M?

I'd totally use one if I had one. ;) (Well, I'd at least test drive it. Unfortunately my wrists are blown badly enough that realistically my daily driver needs to be an ergo split keyboard.) It has to be better than the USB Sun Type-6 keyboard I used for a day before barely restraining myself from tossing it through a window.

(Those things are *bad* even for SUN keyboards. I never cracked it open to verify but I'm pretty sure the keyswitches are made out of partially chewed Hubba-Bubba and misery.)

I've always wondered why the Apple fanboyz don't obsess over the number of keys on their keyboards.

I guess they bought into their Fearless Leader's mantra that "less" automatically equals "easier to use", a position I've found in equal parts perplexing and infuriating myself.

Does anyone know if there is a keyboard, or type of Cherry switches, that feel the most like buckling spring but are much quieter? When we moved from individual offices (with closed doors) to open cubes as part of an expansion, I had to give up my trusty IBM Model M13, as the noise was bothering people in a 20-foot radius. I'd love to use something that had some sort of tactile feedback, but without the noise... right now, I am "coping" with a crap rubber-dome keyboard.

If they were not so danged expensive, I'd spring for an Avant Stellar version of the Northgate OmniKey 104. I miss my OmniKey, I used that poor ol' keyboard to death. Are they still making the Avant Stellar keyboards or are those gone now?

I had a Unicomp I got from a junk-pile, I liked it, still wish I Could bump into another IBM Model "M" though instead as I prefer PS/2 to USB for my keyboards.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post

I dunno, you can actually have fun with some of that crap. For instance, once in the midst of a fit of boredom I hacked together a keymap that let me use a button and the volume knob on one of those "multimedia" keyboards as a reasonably effective paddle controller for the 2600 emulator Stella.

Okay, I never knew you could do that! I always hated those keyboards (cheesier than the fake photos in dollar store picture frames!) Probably could remap for Indy 500 as well as some of the HP Keyboards with that knob have the ability to go round and round infinity like the Indy 500 controllers.

Does anyone know if there is a keyboard, or type of Cherry switches, that feel the most like buckling spring but are much quieter? When we moved from individual offices (with closed doors) to open cubes as part of an expansion, I had to give up my trusty IBM Model M13, as the noise was bothering people in a 20-foot radius. I'd love to use something that had some sort of tactile feedback, but without the noise... right now, I am "coping" with a crap rubber-dome keyboard.

Cherry MX Brown switches might be good for what you are looking for.
If you have Microcenter or Frys nearby you should try it out in person.
Good luck!

Back in the 286/386 days, Chicony had a keyboard with a buckling-spring feel, but not nearly as loud as the Model M. One of my favorite keyboards from that time was an NCR with 30 "F" keys (10 down the side like an XT keyboard and 20 across the top). I used it so much that I wore a visible groove in the spacebar. That had a good feel and used the old "black" Cherry switches.

I wonder if you could simply take a Model M and some sound-deadening foam with holes in it for the keys and reduce the sound to a faint clicking. I'm sure that some of the noise is being radiated from the keyboard housing.

Back