• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

HP 1000 F-series.

BTW, I ***MAY*** have the opportunity to buy an 7009A probably in working order, but no firm warranty given.
WITHOUT any "accessory" : No cable, no disk pack, only the related Power Supply
The vendor is hard in deal, and I expect a bottom line of 400 / 450 Euros ( 450 / 500 $ )
Basically, I think it's a TOO expensive deal.
and I probably will not go for it.
Any opinion on this proposed deal VERY WELCOME.
( I am located near Paris, France )

You mean 7900A, right? I think it is a lot of money. But it depends on what other options there is. If you have a HP21MX with a HPIB card then it should be possible to use HPdrive. Have not tested myself yet. With the HP21MX I have there were a 7900A and a lot of cartridges. If you buy it I can probably offer you a pair of cartridges at a reasonable price.

I have a 7900. Without the interface card that I am still looking for... I would sure buy one of your cartridges if one were available.
Marc

Thanks, Mattislind,
That a kind offer.
In about two weeks, I will take a almost three hours drive ( one way !! ) to look at this 7900A.
** IF ** I can get a decent price .... I will buy it and then, be back to you.
BTW, Let me know if you "cross again" ;-) any HP 1000, HP 21MX vintage computer or any related I/O device or even cards.
I would REALLY LOVE having one in a WORKING state .... such good memories ....

Finally, I got it for "around" $ 225, this afternoon. ( along with a couple of unrelated small parts )
With its power supply, but without any interconnect cable, neither power nor data.
In a "so-so" shape ..... neither bad, neither good .... we will see ....

BTW, does someone on this list has a 21xx or 21 MX in a working state ?? with some type of Hard Disk attached ??
@ Mattislind : Have you plans to restore ( and display ?? ) your recent brought in HP computer in a working state ??
( It would be a very interesting show, but Stocklom is a bit far from where I live ( close to Paris ), but who knowns, one day.... ?? )

@ Mattislind : Have you plans to restore ( and display ?? ) your recent brought in HP computer in a working state ??
Yes. I do have plans. But then there is reality. It is not always that they make a perfect match... But the HP21MX, one M and one F are systems I'd like to start to tinker with. I have a GPIB board in one of them and a starter is to use hpdrive and run the RTE-IV system. The drives are a for a later stage.

Finally, I got it for "around" $ 225, this afternoon. ( along with a couple of unrelated small parts )
With its power supply, but without any interconnect cable, neither power nor data.
In a "so-so" shape ..... neither bad, neither good .... we will see ....

BTW, does someone on this list has a 21xx or 21 MX in a working state ?? with some type of Hard Disk attached ??
( It would be a very interesting show, but Stocklom is a bit far from where I live ( close to Paris ), but who knowns, one day.... ?? )
I do have a 21MX (a 2112 to be exact) and a 7900 drive (with cables!), but I am still missing the disk interface card. And a tape reader and two tape punches and a 7970 mag tape and an ASR 33 TTY with interface cards for each. I have not started to restore any of it yet, they are in the cue. Getting that amount of stuff to work will take a looong while...
Jay West has many HP 1000's that work with disks attached.
Marc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NJoXFdUBSeQ#t=237

That board. Well I'll be damned! I fished an identical board but with a brown PCB and unmasked gold traces out of a goldbug's card bin years ago. I still got it but I mounted it inside a picture frame because I could never figure out what HP device it came out of.
Now I know. :)

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/hp/1000/1000_MEF_EngrRef/92851-90001_Mar81_6.pdf

Page D-1, 5060-8400 4K ROM Base Set Assembly

Hey Guys, you lost me ...
It's easy, as I am not so fluent in English ;-)

I KNOW the board Gslick refer to
But , I do not understand NeXT comment, as ( at least for me ) there is no such thing (board ) in the video.
( Unless you speak of different versions of the board mentioned at 4 mn in the video. Is that right ?? )
What I have missed ??

Hey Guys, you lost me ...
It's easy, as I am not so fluent in English ;-)

But , I do not understand NeXT comment, as ( at least for me ) there is no such thing (board ) in the video.
( Unless you speak of different versions of the board mentioned at 4 mn in the video. Is that right ?? )
What I have missed ??

Sorry, this board:

CGS_1049.jpg

Yours is green but otherwise they are identical.

OK, got it now !!
Two questions :
- One knows the HP part number ? I would like to check something on the shematics.
and /or
- someone can confirm that the I.C. ( TOP right corner ) **IS** the PROM boot loader I.C. ?

Thanks

gslick's PDF link shows the card on page 24. Part 5060-8400 "4K ROM Base-Set Assembly"
Parts list is on the next page and the schematic on the page after that.

If this has the DRAM in it and you didn't get the battery pack,
it will need a resistor on the connector that would have gone
to the battery pack to let it think there is a battery pack.
I'd have taken everything they had. Even if I'd have needed to
rent a truck.
Dwight
Hello All !
I think I am going to confront this issue pretty soon ...
Does someone tell me what resistor value , on which connector and which pins ?? Many Thanks !!
And/Or where can I found schematics of the "battery pack" interconnect ?

Last edited:
Back