• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage Computer Festival-Berlin and a Few Other Fans(tm), Part One

jackrubin

Veteran Member
I was able to attend the Berlin edition of Vintage Computer Festival earlier this month. I flew out of Chicago to Munich where I reconnected with Hans Franke, organizer of VCF-Europa and godfather of VCF-Berlin. Hans took me to the Munich Computer Museum where a major exhibit space is being prepared. Reinhard Heuberger (active here as PDP11GY) wasn't there, but his "Special Edition" PDP 11/23 was -

attachment.php

From Munich, Hans and I drove north to Berlin. In spite of it's reputation for fast travel, the Autobahn was often choked with traffice and we had to stop completely three times to wait while accidents were cleared from the highway. We arrived in Berlin late Friday night, did a little setup work and then retired to the bar across the street to enjoy the warm autumn weather and cold German beer.

Next day was the show - unfortunately my German wasn't good enough to enjoy the talks and seminars but there was still plenty to see and many people able and willing to describe their work in fluent English. Most of my photos from the show are here: http://tinyurl.com/vcfb-2015, but I've included a few snaps below of people familiar from the forums, most of whom I had never met before.

Here are Hans Franke (on the left) and Oscar Vermeulen, Mr. PiDP-8 -

attachment.php

And here I am (gray beard) with Philipp Hachtmann (not gray beard):

attachment.php

I am not interested in arm wrestling with Philipp.

Joerg Hoppe took the picture above. Here he is (foreground) with his very impressive collection of (mostly) DEC front panels running in full blinken-light glory off SIMH on captive Beagle Bone controllers. Angelo (behind him) is a student of Indo-European languages with a penchant for programming. He's written a PDP-10 Forth that was running on Joerg's simulator.

attachment.php

Joerg's VCF-Berlin photos can be seen at ftp://jhoppe.ddns.net/vcfb2105/index.html.

After a few days in Berlin, I flew to Stockholm and then grabbed a train to Uppsala. I spent several hours with Pontus Pihlgren, first at the Update Computer Club (sponsored by Uppsala University), then visiting his private collection and finally traveling down to the Dalby Datormuseum near Stockholm.

attachment.php

Pontus Pihlgren _almost_ getting the Update PDP-12 to boot. It worked the last time it was used. :>)

[I'm limited to five photos per post, so Part Two follows]

Attachments

• Reinhard_11-23.jpg
    Reinhard_11-23.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Hans&Oscar.jpg
    Hans&Oscar.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Jack&Hachti.jpg
    Jack&Hachti.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Pontus.jpg
    Pontus.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Joerg_Angelo_VCFBerlin.jpg
    Joerg_Angelo_VCFBerlin.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
VCF-Berlin, Part Two -

The Dalby Datormuseum was started by Rune Andersson, a former Ericcson computer engineer, when he brought home a surplus PDP-9 to his farm in Aspo, outside of Stockholm. Today, the collection is largely maintained by his son Mattis Lind, but Rune is still active.

attachment.php

Mattis booting CAPS-11 from DECassette on his PDP 11/04. His restored TU-60 cassette drive is sitting on top of the 11/04 to his left. In addition to the PDP-9 and the 11/04, the collection includes several interesting HP machines, vintage radio and teletype equipment, a (straight) PDP-8 and one-and-a-half PDP-12 machines. The "half" PDP12 is de-racked and lacks the front panel but is otherwise complete.

The next day, I took the train south from Stockholm to Lund. I met Anders Sandahl after breakfast and spent another great day with him, looking at his collection, including _his_ PDP-9, drinking a lot of coffee and talking about projects, past, present and future.

attachment.php

Finally, it was time to take the train from Lund to Copenhagen and catch my flight back home.

Two weeks of good times, cool computers, and great companionship!

Thanks, everyone! I hope to see you all at VCF-Midwest next Fall!

Jack

Attachments

• Mattis.jpg
    Mattis.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Anders.jpg
    Anders.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Jack,

Thank you for posting this travel log. It's great to put faces with the names, and see their equipment too!

Lou
I agree with Lou. Thanks for putting faces with many of the names I know. Great pics. Wish I had been there.

Hi Jack.

It was great having you over, you are more than welcome back. Then I'll make sure to have the 12 running.

I'll add a picture on my own. It's Mattis and Jack in front of Mattis straight-8 and behind Jack is a Norsk Data Nord-10. (And I'm in the reflection in the window :))
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20151009_183133.jpg
    IMG_20151009_183133.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1
Jack,
I also want to thank you for posting the photos from your trip. As Lou said it is great to be able to connect the names of folks we know through their posts and projects with faces. It sounds like you had a wonderful trip!

Mark

Jack, it was really nice to meet. I am looking forward visiting you in Chicago. It won't happen next year. But maybe the year after.

If anyone else feel like to make a visit, please drop a line so we can arrange something! Hopefully we have made it a little bit more orderly by then. (And maybe the CAPS/BASIC demo works better if I have been able to find the proper 9-7/8 inch wide paper)

Jack,

Thanks for posting the trip report. It's always nice to see a glimpse of what's happening at the various Vintage Computer gatherings that can't be attended in person.

regards,
Mike Willegal

I met Philipp in Hannover 1.5 years ago. Got to meet Klemens and Christian at the University of Stuttgart and see their toys too. As you said, it is nice to meet the people that you meet through this forum.

Mark,

We're just 200 miles apart and still haven't met! We'll need to take care of that sometime soon.

Jack

Jack,
You are so right! I get up to Chicago around once a month or so as our corporate headquarters are down town. I'll send you an email the next time I know I'll be up your way.

Years ago (early to mid-1980s) I used to attend some of the local DECUS meetings in Chicago. The local DECUS group was known as the Chicago Area Real Time Society and there were folks that ran PDP-11s and VAXes to collect laboratory data at places like FERMI lab and Argonne. The highlight was trading blank reels of tape for the latest RSX SIG tapes to take home and see what cool software people had submitted. It is amazing now that all those SIG tapes can fit on a microSD card.

Best Regards,
Mark

After a few days in Berlin, I flew to Stockholm and then grabbed a train to Uppsala. I spent several hours with Pontus Pihlgren, first at the Update Computer Club (sponsored by Uppsala University), ...

attachment.php

Pontus Pihlgren _almost_ getting the Update PDP-12 to boot. It worked the last time it was used. :>)
That seems to be becoming the standard pilgrimage for many of us. I had the opportunity to do the same thing early last year (2014), and at that time Pontus was able to get the PDP-12 working, it was very impressive! Very appreciative of the time Pontus gave us to provide a tour of the Club's collection and a tour of Uppsala.

I also had the chance to tick-off a bucket-list item of visiting the PDP-11/70 they had there too.

Hi All;

Matlock, "" Years ago (early to mid-1980s) I used to attend some of the local DECUS meetings in Chicago. The local DECUS group was known as the Chicago Area Real Time Society and there were folks that ran PDP-11s and VAXes to collect laboratory data at places like FERMI lab and Argonne. The highlight was trading blank reels of tape for the latest RSX SIG tapes to take home and see what cool software people had submitted. It is amazing now that all those SIG tapes can fit on a microSD card. ""

IS that information available today or has Most of the DECUS information been lost ??

THANK YOU Marty

Marty,
The particular set of RSX DECUS Sig tapes that I was trading for in those days is available online at:

ftp://ftp.trailing-edge.com/pub/rsxsig/tom/
and
ftp://ftp.trailing-edge.com/pub/rsxsig/don/

There is also a semi-official site at

http://www.decuslib.com/

however it seems like that decuslib site is more complete for VAX/VMS but is missing a lot of PDP-11 DECUS software. Tim Shoppa was a curator for DECUS
software and he provides a very complete listing of what existed is at:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/academic/computer-science/history/pdp-11/decus/index.html

however I have not found anyplace where a complete collection exists of the software that is listed in the above link. There were many packages
such as 11SP572 (see 110572 in above link) that do not appear to be online. One finds them here and there but only a few.

Now that I have my MINC-23 running RT-11 or RSX11M I would love to find MINC software packages (such as 11SP572 ) to work with the MINC
A/D, D/A, Clock, and Digital Out cards.

Also, if there are any MINC users out there, I will soon be attempting to replicate the blank front panels with a silicone molding technique to make rigid plastic replicas on
which I plan to mount a SCSI2SD card drive. I've adapted the microSD slot through a cable to a SD card slot which will be accessable from the front panel blank along which
a drive activity LED. (One can never have enough blinking lights on there later PDP-11s). (Also, sorry for the topic drift)

Mark

Hi All;

Matlock, I am Sad and Glad, Sad that more of them were not preserved, But Glad as to what was/is preserved..
Thank You for the Links..

THANK YOU Marty

Hey, nice to see this posted here, Jack.
I thought I'd add my photos (https://picasaweb.google.com/103698294498431095372/VCFB2015) and link to my PDP-6/10 stuff (you already mentioned the forth): http://aap.pdp10.org/
Since I'm working on a PDP-6 emulator it would be cool if I had software for it. MACRO-6, DDT and stuff like that would be very nice.

Have you tried contacting Bruce Baumgart http://www.saildart.org/ about what might exist for the 6 in the private portions of the SAILDART archive?

No, not yet. I don't know so many people and who might have what. But thanks for the hint.

Back