• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows Free Licenses ?

inakito

Experienced Member
Hi everybody.

Do you know of any version of Windows NT whose license may be used freely ?
I mean, from Windows NT3.5 to Windows XP .

Actually, are there *any* Microsoft OS (included DOS and W3.x, W95/98) that can be obtained freely?.

inakito.

As far as I know, at least versions 1.1 and 2.0 of MS-DOS are public domain, since the sources have been released to the public: http://www.computerhistory.org/press/ms-source-code.html

Aside from that, I know with Windows 8.1, there was a 'Bing' version of the OS, which was free-of-charge to the OEMs. The only requirement was that the default search engine was configured to Bing (the user could still change it).
I'm not sure if there is a Windows 10 equivalent of this. What I do know is that I had a laptop with Windows 8.1 Bing, and I got the free upgrade to Windows 10.

The Microsoft Research License that DOS 1 and 2 were released under is not public domain. It was geared to largely allow publication of magazine articles. Copying the source to enhance a competing OS is however not permitted; basically, can't make money or distribute anything built on the released code.

It is for an NGO located in Cameroon. It is aimed at allowing native people to learn computing.
Our first choice was Linux, but they need to learn Windows as well, for obvious reasons.
We have provided them with computers (and Linux). Now we are looking for a way for them to learn Windows without too much expense.
You can know more about this NGO on our facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/ingenieriasinfronteras

Well, they need hardware as well. Where do you get the hardware from? In most cases, the hardware comes with an OEM license of Windows anyway (which are still valid if you get them second-hand, since they're tied to the hardware, not to a person). OEM licenses are much cheaper than buying the OS separately, because the OEMs have bulk deals with Microsoft, and no support contract with MS etc. As I said, in the case of the Bing version, the OS was free. I got an entire laptop with the latest version of Windows for 249 euros (that is Chromebook price range).

Last edited:
Yes, we got a bunch of Dell machines with Windows licenses included, but most computers we get are from private donations, which do not have any software at all.
We do not buy computers (OEM or not). We accept donations , and send the computers to our people in Cameroon. Usually the computers we receive have not attached licenses.

The closest thing you'll get to "free" Windows and still be legal is ReactOS:

https://www.reactos.org/

It's not perfect, but it can at least get people familiar with the Windows UI.

You can also run a good number of Windows applications on Linux using WINE.

So a few years back I called MS to ask them about a "free" copy of MS-DOS 6.22, spoke to quite a few different people, but long story short they protect their intellectual property and copywright interests on all of their software no matter how old. So no, there is no free version of NT you can simply download and use.

This discovery led to a rather frustrating conversation with them, and I then asked them if I could purchase a copy of MS Dos from them so it would be legal and above board, to which they said they do not sell it anymore and this was simply not possible. So yeah, it's a rock and a hard place type situation.

Well, yes and no. For example, creating a Windows XP recovery disk involves producing an MS-DOS boot disk. Besides, there are alternative versions of DOS that work equally well (e.g. DR-DOS, FreeDOS, etc.)

I thought everyone by this point had a sheet of OEM COA stickers they peeled off old desktops and laptops.

Collecting CoA stickers is actually pretty difficult, especially on laptops. From Windows 95 to somewhere in the middle of the XP lifecycle, Microsoft used those rectangular stickers with the ink embedded in the paper and sometimes with a plastic film over them. These stickers hold up best over time but they're a royal pain to remove because the adhesive starts to compromise the integrity of the paper. If you accidentally rip into the paper from the bottom, you easily start destroying the key letters.

But bad adhesive is really the only issue on desktops. On laptops you have to deal with wear since the sticker is on the bottom of the unit. It's an all too common problem for the plastic to break and gloss to wear through and eventually destroy the key making recovery impossible. It gets worse though because on newer CoA keys from mid Windows XP and beyond, Microsoft went to cheap paper with the keys printed on with like a laser printer or something. These stickers wear very easily and won't last a year on a laptop if you don't like cellotape over it to protect it.

Collecting CoA stickers is actually pretty difficult, especially on laptops. From Windows 95 to somewhere in the middle of the XP lifecycle, Microsoft used those rectangular stickers with the ink embedded in the paper and sometimes with a plastic film over them. These stickers hold up best over time but they're a royal pain to remove because the adhesive starts to compromise the integrity of the paper. If you accidentally rip into the paper from the bottom, you easily start destroying the key letters.

But bad adhesive is really the only issue on desktops. On laptops you have to deal with wear since the sticker is on the bottom of the unit. It's an all too common problem for the plastic to break and gloss to wear through and eventually destroy the key making recovery impossible. It gets worse though because on newer CoA keys from mid Windows XP and beyond, Microsoft went to cheap paper with the keys printed on with like a laser printer or something. These stickers wear very easily and won't last a year on a laptop if you don't like cellotape over it to protect it.

A significant number of those CoA keys would be keys that cannot be legally transferred from one machine to another anyway as I understand it.

There are several types of CoA keys with different licenses.

The two most common are Retail and OEM CoAs.

Retail obviously comes with a box you buy at a store and you can use these on as many machines as you want as long as it's only on one machine at any given time. OEM is for use only on "newly built PCs" which is pretty ambiguous. It doesn't specify that the PC must use brand new parts you just bought, you can cobble together a machine from old parts and you have a "new" PC. Or you can get an old PC from a second hand store, in which case it's "new" to you. So in both cases you can use the keys on pretty much any PC as long as it's one to a PC.

Other less common CoAs are Red, VLK and Windows for legacy PCs.

Having all of these different variations of CoAs is a royal pain as a computer repair shop. Unlike Vista and onward where you can have one DVD for all versions, you must have one CD for every CoA type. So for let's say Windows XP Home, you'd need 5 different versions of installation media.

Back