• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TRS-80 Model I System Time Capsule

pski

Staff member
Yesterday I picked up a real gem...a time capsule, if you will. I obtained a complete original TRS-80 Model I system from 1978. This includes an early Model I, Expansion Interface, disk drives and even the first Line Printer. The package also includes the Model I system desk and printer stand. All of the original manuals, catalogs, flyers, newsletters, etc. were also included.

I purchased the setup from the original family that originally purchased the system back in 1978. The father, mother and son were all at the pickup location waiting for me. I was moved by some of the stories they related to me about their experiences with the computer. For instance, the father told me about how he and his son spent hours and hours typing in a Star Trek game back when his son was just a young boy. Then, it didn't work so they spend more hours and hours fixing and debugging the program before it finally ran properly. This morning while going through the included diskettes, I found one labelled "Star Trek."

I feel obligated to keep this setup intact, so that is what I plan to do. I'm going to spend some time restoring all of the items and then will hopefully exhibit it at one of the upcoming shows next year. I would hope to invite the original family owners to come see it...hopefully running "their" Star Trek. :)

IMG_1492.jpgIMG_1491.jpgIMG_1490.jpgIMG_1489.jpgIMG_1488.jpg

That was the fixed price auction with the computer desk. As long as I scan auctions worldwide (~5 years) this is only the second time that a Radio Shack computer desk was offered. Were these desks only occasionally sold?

I love these tilted struts they have. That's some kind of Starship Enterprise design. That reminds me of the -in my eyes- best Radio Shack TRS-80 joke.

This equipment fits perfectly to the Star Trek game. I wish you a always lucky Klingons hunt!

-Rainer

I remember Brian Pain buying an identical printer in 1979 (in the UK). It cost over £1100 and didn't even have lower case ! You just about needed ear-defenders too!
Mind you, at the time, it was quite wonderful. To get a BASIC program listing wow....

In with the included small parts that these systems inevitably come with, did you find the Radio Shack TRS-80 Line Printer emblem which has fallen off the front of the printer?

If not, I think I have one here. Someone sent me a printer, which was badly damaged in transit but I kept the front panel for some reason. I can look for it if need be.

Also, your printer is the Tractor Feed Line Printer. They sold these printers (actually a Centronics 779 painted TRS-80 Mercedes silver) in two forms: the friction-feed Line printer which used a large roll of paper for those on a budget, and the tractor feed Line Printer for those with deep pockets who really wanted to compute in style.

Ian.

Here are some other interesting items I pulled out of one of the boxes today.

I've never seen this before. The Preliminary User's Manual from 1977.

EDIT: Interesting, this seems to be a pretty rare item. According to Creative Computing May 1978, Page 22, "The "User's Manual for Level I wasn't quite ready at the same time Radio Shack's TRS-80 microcomputer system was, so the first couple of thousand purchasers got a 30-page "Preliminary User's Manual." By now, all 4,000 or so should have received the regular User's Manual."

IMG_1496.jpg

All of the original dust covers.

IMG_1495.jpg

An early 3rd party modem. Not in the box I looked at today but thought was interesting.
IMG_1494.jpg

No idea what this is, but it looks like some sort of 50 pin bus to 40 pin bus converter.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection it appears to be related to the Lynx modem.

IMG_1493.jpg

In with the included small parts that these systems inevitably come with, did you find the Radio Shack TRS-80 Line Printer emblem which has fallen off the front of the printer?

If not, I think I have one here. Someone sent me a printer, which was badly damaged in transit but I kept the front panel for some reason. I can look for it if need be.

Also, your printer is the Tractor Feed Line Printer. They sold these printers (actually a Centronics 779 painted TRS-80 Mercedes silver) in two forms: the friction-feed Line printer which used a large roll of paper for those on a budget, and the tractor feed Line Printer for those with deep pockets who really wanted to compute in style.

Ian.

I can see where it was simply glued on, but no luck in finding the badge, so if you have it Mav, I would appreciate it.

I guess I have to try to find a box of tractor feed paper. Also, the owner told me the ribbon was shot, but I have not looked at it yet.

Found it:

DSCN1120.JPG

It's easy to tell if you have one of the 1977 machines, is it a 26-1001, and if so what is it's serial number? Should be under 5000. Inside it, if you care to open it (unless the warranty label is intact in which case best leave it alone) it should have white CPU and Rom sockets, a flying LED, and the motherboard production code should be 1700069A.

Cheers,

Ian.

Found it:

View attachment 31332

It's easy to tell if you have one of the 1977 machines, is it a 26-1001, and if so what is it's serial number? Should be under 5000. Inside it, if you care to open it (unless the warranty label is intact in which case best leave it alone) it should have white CPU and Rom sockets, a flying LED, and the motherboard production code should be 1700069A.

Cheers,

Ian.

It's a 26-1006D, #003063. The model # is a sticker though and I can see there was a previous model # underneath. I can also see the level 2 ROM cable so this machine was upgraded to L2 16K apparently.

image.jpg

Great find Pete. Have fun with it. Try to archive that Trek game if you can. Maybe print out the program listing and some of us can try to key it in ourselves! I know I would love to. You know just for the fun of it. Also archive any other unusual software you might find.

That's an excellent find, Pete, congratulations! I'd love to see it at a show, but sadly I live too far from them all.

Looks to be nice and complete! My father still has his model I... it's probably buried in his basement somewhere. We have a ton of memories with that machine as well. I was 5 years old when he bought it. Enjoy your setup! It looks great!

Back