• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone Selling XT-IDE Cards?

Why would anyone intentionally run the older version? Doesn't 2.x have all of the features and more?

The 2.x version apparently hasn't the boot menu and if I press F8 it simply boot from A: instead of C:
IMG_20160820_001644.jpg

the 1.5 version shows a boot menu with all the options, including "foreign HDD" and your IDE device.
I'm not sure if I went wrong or not; I simply tried the xt_ide.bin of both releases.

Maybe it's because it's not detecting the DOM at 300H address; but using the 1.5 rel., it's detected without problem.

Last edited:
giobbi You could recompile xtideuniversal BIOS 2.0.0 as you wish modifying 'makefile' and adding or removing modules. As an example you can add BOOT_MENU module and remove SERIAL_FLOPPY. The resulting binary fits into 8Kb. Otherwise you can add maximum set of modules and use 'long' 32k version and 28c256 chip.

Personally, I'm not willing to ship assembled cards with the 2 series BIOS since they're still marked "beta" -- if the author is still calling it beta, that makes it not ready for general use, in my mind. Don't like it? Remove the beta designation :)

Secondly, there's no preconfigured image that fits in 8K with a boot menu. While I and presumably other hobbyists can certainly build our own with the provided source + makefile, I bet there are a lot of people who can't or don't want to try and build their own BIOS image to get it down to 8K. Perhaps make an 8K version with boot menu and no serial disk/floppy support officially available?

Third, it's actually kind of hard to figure out what you're supposed to be downloading and/or running w.r.t. the 2.0 XUB. A Google search brings up the Lo-Tech Wiki, then the "official" site (xtideuniversalbios.org) a bit lower down. Of course, the Lo-Tech Wiki still references the Google Code site. The downloads are non-obvious on xtideuniversalbios.org and the source browser seems like an early 2000's CGI for browsing SVN. Considering the Google Code site has handy "Export to GitHub" buttons all over the place, they may be trying to tell you something :) I'm a programmer and hardware engineer for my day-job and I find it difficult to navigate, so I'm betting other people do too.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to put down anyone's work -- thanks for everyone who works on this project, be it hardware or software! These are just the reasons I'm still shipping XUB 1.1.5 and why I think others might have difficulty in working with the 2.x series.

I agree 100% with Glitch.

Of course most of us can modify and compile his own release. But I think a new release should work at least as well as the olders do. Our free time is limited and often you simply have no time to spend solving problems that could be avoided with a little of care by releasers.

I were in troubles simply because I didn't know what to expect from the xt-ide card and I didn't know the 2.00 release doesn't carry the same functions of the 1.5 and I didn't even think at it when I started experiencing boot issue. Thanks to Modem7, Glitch and the others who helped me, or I had to waste much time to figure out how to fix it.

Honestly, I have no interest in wasting time with XT-IDE card, I just want something working flawless since the beginning. The 1.5 rel. is enough for me, but I wish have the high speed working. This is why I started using the 2.00b3; maybe in the future, when I will have more free time, I will try to mod and compile a 2.00 with boot menu.

Let's not forget this is " FREE " software, The XUB team has spent thousand's of hours of their own free time on this and they get nothing out of it monetary wise, So let's not start giving them frigging grief, If you don't like the 'Beta' designation the simple answer is don't use the software, Write your own. Getting something to work flawlessly takes time and people who are willing to spend their " Own free time " testing the software and giving feedback, And there hasn't been a lot of that going on for a long while, And that's not the fault of the XUB team.

Let's not forget this is " FREE " software, The XUB team has spent thousand's of hours of their own free time on this and they get nothing out of it monetary wise, So let's not start giving them frigging grief, If you don't like the 'Beta' designation the simple answer is don't use the software, Write your own. Getting something to work flawlessly takes time and people who are willing to spend their " Own free time " testing the software and giving feedback, And there hasn't been a lot of that going on for a long while, And that's not the fault of the XUB team.

I apologize about what I wrote; I read it again and, really, it seems a criticism against who develope the sofware. I wasn't my intention, really.

I'm italian... it means pizza, spaghetti and of course poor english, LOL, so often I'm rude and impolite without intention... I didn't want to despise anybody and their efforts; I'm a programmer since 1989 and I know how much work is needed to write a good piece of software, and I really appreciate your work.

What I wish to explain was: keeping releases compatible will help who can't or don't know how to dig inside the differences between them.
IMO a new release should be compatible with the previous ones, or at least should let be clear what you get and what you don't. Trying to understand how it works in order to recompile your own release can be hard or at leas

Again, I apologize. Sorry, It wasn't my intention to offend anybody, really.

How is the the spaghetti and pizza in Brazil, BTW?

Pizza is good but different, I like brazilian pizza but I prefer the italian style... and my brazilian friends too, I'm doing pizza almost every weekend for them, LOL.
My best customer is my son's girlfriend, she lives asking pizza to me :)

brazilian spaghetti is like french spaghetti or english spaghetti, and so on... nobody should eat, ROTFL

Does anyone have any figures on the speed difference of the high speed mode vs. compatible? :)

ChuckG had some in his original thread, I want to say other people contributed data as well. It does make something of a difference on actual XT hardware, I've got a rev 1 board modded with the Hargle BIOS in my Leading Edge Model D.

NOTE this is not a "pick on other devs" reply, I'm not intending it to be harsh or rude, but it's an Internet reply, and sometimes things can come off that way.

Let's not forget this is " FREE " software, The XUB team has spent thousand's of hours of their own free time on this and they get nothing out of it monetary wise

Absolutely, which is why I'd like to see more people able to easily grab the latest release and test it on their card(s). Making releases more accessible is 100% in line with the goal of faster adoption of new versions. I also understand that the people slinging x86 ASM are probably not the same people who want to be bothered with writing or maintaining websites, hence the suggestion to maybe consolidate it to a single site and/or move it to GitHub. Yes, I know that potentially means re-learning some of the software tools that the devs are currently using, but if you want more participation it helps to use the source control tool that most of the open source world seems to be using. An insistence on sticking the CVS does sometimes hurt contributions to the OpenBSD project, for instance.

So let's not start giving them frigging grief, If you don't like the 'Beta' designation the simple answer is don't use the software

That's what I'm currently doing (not using beta versions, that is), but every time someone mentions it, there seems to be confusion as to *why* people are still using the 1.1.5 release. Hence my attempt to explain why I'm using the 1.1.5 release, and why I think other people might be doing the same.

Write your own.

That seems contrary to having an open source community project.

Getting something to work flawlessly takes time and people who are willing to spend their " Own free time " testing the software and giving feedback, And there hasn't been a lot of that going on for a long while, And that's not the fault of the XUB team.

I realize that no one can test on every available platform. Is there some sort of feedback mechanism for reporting compatibility and issues? I don't mean a forum thread, no one wants to dig through 30 pages of thread to figure out which version of the BIOS is most likely to work on their system. If there isn't and a textfile that people submit pull requests to isn't sufficient, I can throw together a little something or other to log and display results.

Again, I think two big, relatively painless steps in getting people using the 2.x XUB would be to (1) remove the "beta" label if the devs really feel it's ready and (2) start providing 8K builds that will "just work" with the boot menu and whatnot. The rev 3 boards and Lo-Tech boards both left the serial port off, so removing serial disk/floppy support, adding the boot menu, and building that as another binary output in the release process shouldn't cause too much headache/confusion for the users.

And if making build changes like that is a headache for the XUB devs, they need to reach out to the community and explain that. I, for one, would have no problem/trouble setting up a CI server for XUB builds so that anytime there's a commit to a production/release/whatever branch, a new batch of binaries get built and pushed to a server. I do it for my day job. I have spare hardware to run it on.

The BIOS site is already done: www.xtideuniversalbios.org

The latest builds are also available pre-built automatically after commit: www.xtideuniversalbios.org/binaries

I'm yet to perfect the self-service registration but that will come and then we can use the issues tracker there directly.

The version 2 BIOS has been around for forever so maybe there would be mileage in removing that label and just having build numbers. But really there are bigger issues with bringing 'products' to market in our field that text labels, like for example there is no possibility of getting Fcc or EU EMC Class B approval because there is no hardware available to test them with that can itself meet those requirements, let alone the budget to deal with testing.

Compared to the XTIDE design, the my 8-bit IDE adapter provides the same functionality but with far greater device compatibility, faster transfer speeds, and an easier to program and larger flash ROM. Like the BIOS guys, I'm just perplexed as to the bringing back the project from years ago as everything really has moved on!

BOOT_MENU module is very useful for those people who want to transver files from their old MFM drives to modern drive and back. It's very pity that XUB 2.0.0 can't coexist with some MFM BIOS controllers. XUB also "plays dirty trick" swapping HDD ID 80 and 81. Unfortunately I have not enought qualification to deep debug this issue. It would be good to find a software "workaround" for buggy BIOS-es, not just "blacklist" them...

P.S.
One of my friend who got new XT IDE v3 card have a massive collection of the 8-bit disk controllers (MFM, RLL, SCSI). I would kindly ask him to test XUB.

P.P.S. There was one funny incomatibility between Microsoft Quick C and Western Digital XT MFM controllers. Both used undocumented interrupt for internal services.
https://books.google.pl/books?id=Az8EAAAAMBAJ
InfoWorld 1987 Volume 9 N.49 p.3

Last edited:
The BIOS site is already done: www.xtideuniversalbios.org

The latest builds are also available pre-built automatically after commit: www.xtideuniversalbios.org/binaries

Ah, OK, I had no idea the binaries download section existed. There's no link from the main page of the site. It still doesn't look like it provides an 8K BIOS with boot menu.

I'm yet to perfect the self-service registration but that will come and then we can use the issues tracker there directly.

Again, not to detract from your work, but this is already a built-in feature on GitHub. It's my view that compulsory registration detracts from participation; if you guys are going to stick with not-GitHub, you might look into OAuth and let people sign in with whatever account they like.

The version 2 BIOS has been around for forever so maybe there would be mileage in removing that label and just having build numbers. But really there are bigger issues with bringing 'products' to market in our field that text labels, like for example there is no possibility of getting Fcc or EU EMC Class B approval because there is no hardware available to test them with that can itself meet those requirements, let alone the budget to deal with testing.

Not sure why regulatory approval would be a necessary/desirable thing for any part of this project. It's open source hobbyist hardware, not general purpose hardware being sold to consumers.

Compared to the XTIDE design, the my 8-bit IDE adapter provides the same functionality but with far greater device compatibility, faster transfer speeds, and an easier to program and larger flash ROM. Like the BIOS guys, I'm just perplexed as to the bringing back the project from years ago as everything really has moved on!

Well, I've been over my reasons for reworking the original open source design several times. I can't speak to everyone else's needs, but my decisions were based on actual real problems I've run in to with the previous two revisions of the original design. I haven't run into any major device incompatibilities and the speed is sufficient for an 8-bit ISA controller.

.....It still doesn't look like it provides an 8K BIOS with boot menu.......

No not in the 8k build anyway, I can understand why some folks might prefer the BOOT_MENU over the HOTKEY bar, But IIRC the BOOT_MENU offers no more functionality than the HOTKEY bar does, Except of course the drive info is displayed.

Finally got time to write up a Bill of Materials:

https://github.com/glitchwrks/xt_ide/blob/master/bill_of_materials.md

That includes Mouser part numbers. If someone wants to add Digi-Key part numbers and send a pull request (or contact me if you don't use GitHub) I'll add it in.

This isnt right:

RP1, RP2 10K x 9 SIP resistors 266-10K-RC

That needs to be a 10K bussed type 10 leg sip resistor. You wrote 9 leg. Perhaps a 9 leg should also work i dont know.

I ordered them from Bourns with part nr 4610x-101-103 100pcs.

No not in the 8k build anyway, I can understand why some folks might prefer the BOOT_MENU over the HOTKEY bar, But IIRC the BOOT_MENU offers no more functionality than the HOTKEY bar does, Except of course the drive info is displayed.

I had no luck using the HOTKEY bar to choose the boot device.

I had no luck using the HOTKEY bar to choose the boot device.

I just did a quick test on my IBM XT 5160, Latest r591 XUB ( with HOTKEY bar ), 16-bit IDE/Floppy controller with CF.

I fitted an old 20Mb RLL File card ( Works but noisy as hell ), I hit the power switch and the machine booted from the file card with no problems, I could read both the file card and CF no problems.

I Re-Started and after the Post-Good beep i pressed the "D" key and the machine booted from the CF card no problems, Again i could read the file card no problems.

I compiled a new 8k build XUB r591 with BOOT_MENU, Configured the XUB and Re-flashed the eeprom and Re-booted, The Boot Menu appeared and i can boot from either Foreign drive or CF with no problems.

I've got some MFM drives in the shed and later i will sort through them but i doubt if any of them are working now, I remember a couple of them worked 'ish' but they have been in there a long time.

Back