• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage Computer Chat?

Vintage Computer Chat?

• Sure! That sounds great!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm not sure if I'd use it, but why not?

• No way! Why would you do something like that?

• Total voters
Erik,

Does this program offer a "page" feature? I remember that from a few old bbs programs, where if you see someone else on line that you wish to talk to, you can page them and invite them to chat.

--T

Does this program offer a "page" feature? I remember that from a few old bbs programs, where if you see someone else on line that you wish to talk to, you can page them and invite them to chat.

--T

That would be cool.

Chris

Terry Yager said:

Not at the moment but a future revision might. If I ever get some time maybe I'll take a closer look at the code and see what I can implement.

Meanwhile, you've reminded me of countless nights when I awoke to the sound of a howling PC speaker because someone in another time zone decided that a chat with the SysOp sounded like a good idea. . . :)

Erik

Yeah, as I recall, nearly every bbs program included a "page sysop" command. The really good ones allowed the sysop to *disable* the command tho. Not all the programs had a command to page another user, tho most did allow you to see the other users online. Go figger...
The one that comes to mind was "WorldCom" or "WorldPort", something like that. I seem to remember that feature in PCBoard, too but not Wildcat. I just don't remember if WWIV had it or not. (Yeah, I used to do a lot of bbs-ing, till Y2K killed off the few boards that were still left.)

--T

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> Does this program offer a "page" feature?

Yes, it's an issue (as I mentioned in the
Chatroom!!), but I missed the responce! ;-)

That way you don't have to be there all the
time to get a responce! ;-)

But I wouldn't want old messages hanging
around there. I think that a fortnight would
be ample time in case you missed something,
after that should be deleted (& to bring back
some space or something).

Cheers,
CP/M User.

"Erik" wrote:

> Not at the moment but a future revision might.
> If I ever get some time maybe I'll take a closer
> look at the code and see what I can implement.

Oh okay!

> Meanwhile, you've reminded me of countless
> nights when I awoke to the sound of a howling
> PC speaker because someone in another time
> zone decided that a chat with the SysOp
> sounded like a good idea. . . :)

Who me?! Well I just sent another late nighter! ;-)

Cheers,
CP/M User.

Erik,

I finally got a chance to try out the chat. I'm having trouble with some of the colors used. On my screen, the background is like a very light blue (cyan?). A couple of foreground colors don't show up very well on that background. The colors that disappear are (so far) light green and white.

--T

The background color is a light blue on my machine. There are a number of colors that don't look right on it.

I don't know if/how I can change any of the attributes but if I find time I'll look into it.

Erik

Back