• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Chat room

djkrex

Experienced Member
I'm new to chatting. I noticed one user in the chat room talking to himself. I clicked on the chat icon to see what all the noise was about and it said my time in the chat room had expired. I thought a chat room would be more fun than that. :? What did I do wrong?

That's an odd one.

Had you been in chat before?

Were you sitting there long?

When you get that message you should be kicked back to a screen that gives you the option of either returning to the forums or re-entering the chat. Did you see that screen?

Erik

This was the first time I tried using the chat room. It timed me out as soon as I entered. I saw the screen that gave me the choice to re-enter or go back to the forum. I tried to re-enter 2 or 3 times with the same result before I finally gave up. I also tried a few minutes later with the same result.

Where is the chat feature?

Should it appear along the row with 'Profile, Private Messages' etc.?

I don't see anything with 'chat'

Chris

The only think I can think of off the top of my head is that the cookies controlling the chat feature are corrupt. Either that or they are required and you are refusing cookies. . .

If you can, rename the djkrex@chat cookie and try again.

vic user said:

Under the row with Profile, Messages, etc. there is a line that reads: x Users Currently Chatting. That is a link to the chat area.

Enjoy!

Erik

hi Erik;

is the chat thing displayed all the time?

the only thing i have right below the profile etc. is this:

Moderators: None
Users browsing this forum: None

and then the forum topics under that

chris

Yes it is on all the time. You should see it above what you mentioned in the center of the screen.

You might try refreshing the page (shift-refresh) to see if you're just using a cached version of the header. That's an unlikely answer, but it's all I can think of right now. . .

You can also try clicking here: http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/chatlink.php

Erik

Thanks for the link!
I will use it if i need to go there.

i deleted all my temp files, cookies, etc.. and re logged in, and still no chat feature, so i will just use the link you gave me.

chris

vic user said:

Chris

At the very top of the screen I see:

The Vintage Computer
For discussions related to the vintage computer hobby
FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups
Profile You have no new messages Log out [ barryp ]
0 Users Currently Chatting

"barryp" wrote:

> At the very top of the screen I see:

> The Vintage Computer
> For discussions related to the vintage computer hobby
> FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups
> Profile You have no new messages Log out [ barryp ]
> 0 Users Currently Chatting

Ditto! :)

Cheers,
CP/M User.

It seems no matter what I do, I do not get the chat thing displayed.

I am glad Erik posted the chat link, so i can just pop in to see if anyonw is there and pop out

chris

Djkrex,

That was me in the chat room talking to myself ..

I wasn't actually talking, I promise. My usual trick is to enter the chat room if I'm online and hang out. I figure that nobody else will go in the chat room if they see it is empty.

BTW, it seemed to work fine for me. I saw you enter, then leave - very anti-social behavior. Now I know why. :)

Does anyone know of any IRC channels for vintage computer folks?

Perhaps we should start one.
How about #vintage on kildall.acgnj.org

Andy

I just realized that from work, I have the chat link in my browser, but not from home! Maybe I should try to empty cookies and reload the site in case it pops up?

Edit: Njet, removing cookies, files and off-line content didn't make any difference. Much strange behavior, but that means we're two who have noticed it.

carlsson said:
I just realized that from work, I have the chat link in my browser, but not from home! Maybe I should try to empty cookies and reload the site in case it pops up?

Edit: Njet, removing cookies, files and off-line content didn't make any difference. Much strange behavior, but that means we're two who have noticed it.

I'm guessing that what you just noticed is that I've updated the software and the chat feature has been disabled, perhaps permanently.

Sorry about that.

Erik

Back