• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hi Folks

rocketman

Hi all

I am a newbie here but a old timer as far as working with micro's.
My experence started with building The TV Typewriter from Don Lancaster
article in 1973. Then in 1975 I built a Altair 8800 from their kit of the month plan.

I was a senior in high school and can remember the thrill of getting it to work after i got the last piece (8080a chip). I then interfaced it up to my TV typewriter and got help getting a HEX loader montior running on it from my software guru friend Jerry. Once I could afford a bigger memory. My system came with the 1 K static RAM card. So i got a 4 k ram (static) and got 4 K microsoft basic to run on it wow. That was so great !!

A friend and I decided to design a graphics card for the S-100 buss. It was called the GDT-0 and was a 3 K of visual RAM in a 128 x 192 display. We called the company Computer Graphics Assoc. (later it was Diversified Micro Products Inc.) and had some Ad's in both Byte and Kilobaud and got it reviewed in Kilobaud. They worked great and we sold some. I still have some pc boards from the GDT-0 and parts to build a few more if anyone is interested in a vintage graphics card. It kind neat since you can see programs running in the card on your display.

As luck would have it one of the few early computers store opened in my area. I went there and showed off our graphics card and got a part time Job. I was going to college for Elec Eng. and working at their store part time. They were a ALtair dealer and also sold Apple systems. How neat I thought it was to be able to use a floppy based systems Wow that was power !! I worked there for a few years. I later sold my orginal Altair and built a Altair 8800B system which I also sold. I got into CompuPro systems and my last S-100 system was a dual processor S-100 286 x Z80
system.

These days I work for a research center and take care of a bunch of Sun
systems and PC's as a systems administrator.

I love to get a orginal Altair 8800A or 8800B for my collection.
Contact me if you like to sell one or like to trade something for one.

I should have never sold my old ALtairs back then. I am starting to collect some old computer systems. I have a Commodore PET, a PC JR. Orginal Apple FAT Mac. I still have a bunch of S-100 cards and manuals and even some new in the box 8 inch drives. I also have a bunch of old sun systems.

Cheers ...

Welcome aboard rocketman!

I should have never sold my old ALtairs back then. I am starting to collect some old computer systems. I have a Commodore PET, a PC JR. Orginal Apple FAT Mac. I still have a bunch of S-100 cards and manuals and even some new in the box 8 inch drives. I also have a bunch of old sun systems.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure most of us on this forum have made a similar comment ;-)

It is getting more difficult to find older micro's. I shudder to think of how many perfectly good (at the time) systems now lie buried in land fills!

Welcome to the VC Forum!

You've been into this for a while, obviously!

I'm sure you'll be able to track down a nice Altair someday. We've all got our stories of the one that got away (or that we should never have given away) but once you're collecting long enough, almost everything ends up where you want it.

Good luck!

Erik

Back