• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Cross Posting/Post Stealing! :)

Erik

Site Administrator
Staff member
In an effort to generate a bit of discussion here and because I have no originality myself, I'm going to start stealing interesting posts from other mailing lists, news groups and other venues as I see fit.

Hopefully those of you who see these posts at their source won't be upset by this.

Even more hopefully, the original authors (who will be mentioned along with the source) won't be upset either.

Please let me know what you think!

Erik

Some years ago, I tried to write bridging software between Usenet and a private conference system. Importing messages into the conference system was not a problem, but exporting answers back to Usenet was something I never did.

I don't know if Erik will just copy messages as "pointers" or try to create bridges between the VC Forum and various lists, forums etc.

carlsson said:
I don't know if Erik will just copy messages as "pointers" or try to create bridges between the VC Forum and various lists, forums etc.

Actually, I have no intention of linking back or cross posting anything but the original thread topic from someplace else to here.

My goal is to launch discussions here that may or may not directly mirror discussions elsewhere (probably not) but that have the same root.

If members want to cross-post their replies then that's great, but I'm not going to.

I'm not sure if I've explained myself, but then I'm not sure if I understand anyway! :p

E

I'm not certain that is such a good idea.

I would suggest cutting down the number of forums here. Things seem too 'Balkanized' on the board, which probably cuts down on the cross-pollination that you are seeking. There is no need to cross-pollinate from other sources (yet).

Mike

Re: Cross Posting/Post Stealing! :)

Erik said:
In an effort to generate a bit of discussion here and because I have no originality myself, I'm going to start stealing interesting posts from other mailing lists, news groups and other venues as I see fit.

Hopefully those of you who see these posts at their source won't be upset by this.

Even more hopefully, the original authors (who will be mentioned along with the source) won't be upset either.

Please let me know what you think!

Erik

Great idea !
I used to subscribe to most of the comp.sys newsgroups just to find info on using and repairing items in my collection. As a result I have a monstrous collection of usenet posts I can refer to should I have any
problems. With the burgeoning size of the Internet today, I find it impossible to keep up.
It will take a lot of energy tho Perhaps you could get volunteers to monitor different sources as some of the members already do and to then pass on interesting tidbits.

Lawrence

mbbrutman said:
I would suggest cutting down the number of forums here. Things seem too 'Balkanized' on the board, which probably cuts down on the cross-pollination that you are seeking. There is no need to cross-pollinate from other sources (yet).

That's something I was worried about from the start.

I personally treat the entire forum as one big board and use the "view posts since last visit" link pretty much exclusively.

Does anyone else feel like we've got too many message areas? Also, does anyone have any thoughts as to which should go or be merged if we do?

E

As I see it, we have three out of four dimensions in the forums:

* what (hardware, software, documentation)
* which (computer type)
* where (divided by continent)

Sometimes I miss the "why", which would contain subforums about business, gaming, A/V etc. It sounds like a subsection to software, but e.g. gaming could be both about actual games, hardware and docs about it. I'm not saying that we need the fourth dimension though.

Messages which would fit in several groups or no group at all is something most forums suffer from - I visited AtariAge.com yesterday, and their phpBB forum is of course more narrow in focus but has a lot of diversity - Cybergoth posted there about the MiniGame compo and figured it would be on-topic in four sub-forums at the same time.

I'm sure quoting outside message sources are OK as long as the author is asked or at least told about it. The worst scenario is that noone here can give useful input on the subject, and then we have another couple of dead threads, but that seems quite unlikely.

Re: Cross Posting/Post Stealing! :)

"Erik" wrote:

> Even more hopefully, the original authors (who will
> be mentioned along with the source) won't be upset
> either.

> Please let me know what you think!

Sounds fine, but were you thinking about consulting the
original poster?
Some would be touchy about using their posts in here,
I'm usually fine, even though I go to some effort in my
posts.

As for Paul Allen Panks, I don't think he'd mind, but it's
just some silly mini-game text adventure. At the same
time it might be good to write one (for Amstrad CPCs!):
Code:
10 input"Enter command:",cmd$
20 if cmd$="reset" then call 0 else print "I do not understand":goto 10

That's about the best Adventure game I can think of! ;-)

I've been busy discussing on the CPC Forum setup:
http://cpczone.emuulim.com/boards/
so maybe some of that can be discussed here! ;-)

Cheers,
CP/M User.

Back