• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Model M K/b

Rolf

Guys I've only just realised I'm using one of these beasts. I never knew it as anything other than a 103 k/b with the same beautiful solid feel as my PC k/b.
This realisation has raised a query. The label on the rear states:
Date 26SEP89 But below the IBM logo it's copyrighted 1984.
Is this an AT k/b? or is it pining for a long lost PS/2 machine?

Rolf,

It depends on the model number. If yours was manufactured 26SEP89 it doesn't belong on an AT - the AT was discontinued in 1986 or 1987.

That being said, it will work fine on an AT - you just need the appropriate connector on the end of the cable. The ones that came with the AT would have had the larger format connector.

I think later ATs shipped with the PS/2 keyboard. The main difference between AT and PS/2 keyboards was the placement of the function keys.

The original AT keyboard expanded on the PC and XT keyboard but still had the function keys along the left side.

The PS/2 keyboard had them moved to the top and added two new ones (F11 and F12) to the mix.

Most Model M keyboards have the cable attached by a plug at the back of the keyboard. There are both large format (AT) and small format (PS/2) cables available that fit that plug. Even without that there are adapters to convert them all over the place.

The Model M is, obviously, the best keyboard ever made. ;)

Erik

Thanx Guys

Thanx Guys

Good news: Now I know I got a classic?
Bad news: Another item that's gotta be F#$%ing cleaned up!
Seriously. "Thanx for the input Guys!"

I might be perverted, but I actually like cleaning my keyboards. A little bit of generic window cleaner and some Q-Tips can do wonders for the keys, including in between.

- A clean keyboard looks nice. There's nothing nastier than accumulated finger oil.
- Such a little bit of effort has a great payback.

mbbrutman said:
I might be perverted, but I actually like cleaning my keyboards. A little bit of generic window cleaner and some Q-Tips can do wonders for the keys, including in between.

- A clean keyboard looks nice. There's nothing nastier than accumulated finger oil.
- Such a little bit of effort has a great payback.

i hate cleaning my keyboard i dont care if it's got dust,hair,food in it, Just gives it charactor.
It's also a good way to keep people from touching your system.
If i do clean the keyboard i do it the hardway take it all the way apart
and soak the keys overnight in a 50/50 water/alcohol, Scrub the plastics
with hot water. Take the rubber & plastic film and clean it with a damp cloth.
For you lazy people some compressed air will get most of the stuff out without taking it apart.

Model "M" Keyboard Cable

Model "M" Keyboard Cable

Anybody ever notice that the earlier model "M" keyboards came with a removable cable. This applies to the normal 101 key and Space Saver keyboards. I believe the cable was swappable to an AT pinout cable and so fourth, I'll post a pic later, my Space Saver (Model "M" w/o numeric keybpad) has one of these.

Ping Mad Mike & Terry re Removable Cable

Ping Mad Mike & Terry re Removable Cable

Mike, dunno wot u mean by early M. My 1989 M (PS/2 conn) has the removable cable.
Terry, u suggested it can auto-switch to XT. I attached a Serial adaptor and plugged into the PC. They don't talk the same language. Thoughts please. Cheers.

Back