• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello, looking for vintage x86 stuff! :)

bic

Hello all! I'm a currently computer science student, and just for the sake of nostalgia I decided to look for vintage 80x86 programs that have copy protection (well, just for the sake of gawking at all the weird copy protection / anti-disassembly / anti-tracing techniques used in those Good Old Days). Anyway, I came across this forum, so I decided to drop in.

Apologies for the rather ranty introduction, and thanks in advance!

Hi!

Hi!

Although not x86 that does remind me that I never figured out how they protected the original Leisure Suit Larry on the Mac.

I never did manage to make a copy of that disc ;)

-m

Just an FYI, you're not going to find much x86 discussion within vintage computing circles. It's simply too new. :) There used to be what called "The 10-Year Rule" to determine what's vintage, but that very definition has become vintage in the past few, considering the WWW, Windows, x86, etc.

Argh! In that case... any recommendations on where I can find people who do discuss (not-so-)old x86 stuff?

Anyway, thanks for the information!

bic said:
Argh! In that case... any recommendations on where I can find people who do discuss (not-so-)old x86 stuff?

Anyway, thanks for the information!

if you want to talk about 386 or older you can talk to me, while i very much
enjoy collecting software of all ages it's a real pain to manage.
so i doubt i will be much help in that direction.

mobilemaster said:
Just an FYI, you're not going to find much x86 discussion within vintage computing circles. It's simply too new. Smile There used to be what called "The 10-Year Rule" to determine what's vintage, but that very definition has become vintage in the past few, considering the WWW, Windows, x86, etc.
while i agree it is not the highlight of the board x86 platform is very old and i would
guess a lot of people have some interest in it one way or the other judging
by the way it comes up offten

Hello and welcome to the VC Forum!

There are a few folks here who have an interest in the older intel lines. I'm sure you'll find some to chat with!

Enjoy!

Erik

Yo bic...truthfully I don't think there was all that much copy protection built into IBM PC programs. It was too unpopular. Now the Commodore 64 is where you should look. From what I understand the protection built into many of the games was fairly elaborate.

Or rather, IBM PC and later compatibles were so expensive that people who could not afford the software could not afford the hardware neither. This may have changed sometime around 1990-92.

Speaking of the Commodore 64, there is a preservation project that tries to make digital copies of copy protected disks. Some are yet not possible to duplicate (but of course crack the game out of).

I don't think that was the reason. As I remember back in the day people just were so against the use of copy protection - they just wanted to be able to make archival copies of the software they payed for.
At Christmas of 1985, the Tandy 1000 was on sale for $999, w/the color monitor. I was making $3.40 an hour, and managed within a few months to save up for it. I wound up returning it, didn't like the cheesy monitor, and was learning there were better deals. Granted, I didn't have a family or in actuality ANY bills. But any single person could have bought a PC in those days if they really wanted to, even if it meant taking a second job at McDonald's or whatever. Maybe these things were priced much higher overseas, I don't know.

Back