• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What vintage computer piece is the most sought after item?

agrajag

I think like most collectors that there is always what seems like an unobtainable item.

Some of us don't feel like their collection is complete without it.

So what is that item for you?

For me.....It's a Commodore 65, I even tracked down one here in Oz (one of only 2 in Oz) that was only 1 suburb away.

I even offered to purchase it but the owner will never part with it.

Re: What vintage computer piece is the most sort after item?

Re: What vintage computer piece is the most sort after item?

agrajag said:
For me.....It's a Commodore 65, I even tracked down one here in Oz (one of only 2 in Oz) that was only 1 suburb away.

There was a C65 at last weeks LUCKI expo. I wish I could have gone. :(

http://home.earthlink.net/~areed65/LUCKI Expo 2005.htm

Cheers,

Bryan Pope

I'm really looking for some 8008 based machines. I'd love a Scelbi or Mark-8, for instance.

I'd also love an Apple I, of course, but short of a lottery win that's a non-starter.

E

The difference between those particular two is that IIUC, the Apple I was sold, then traded in for Apple II, while C65 only reached the advanced prototype stage and apart from being mentioned in some computer magazine never had met real users until the liquidated Commodore warehouses were emptied.

I hope to get a commodore DX-64 someday. I've NEVER seen one of these for sale.
In the last years however there have been a couple of C65 for sale on ebay, if i remember correctly they all sold for more the 1500 euro.
So i wonder if some day there is a dx-64 solt on ebay, what it will go for.
Probably nothing i can afford. :roll:

According to the Secret Weapons, most DX-64:s have been spotted in Germany. I recently read somewhere about a hack to modify a SX-64 to take double diskdrives. It would not make it a true DX-64, but the functionality may be the same.

Personally, I'm even more thrilled about the SX-500, which also was featured on the last VCF, if I remember correctly from viewing photos. But with only three prototype units known and maybe only one surviving, it should be close to impossible - invaluable - to obtain.

rarest Commodores

rarest Commodores

On the subject of Commodore computers, what is your top 10 ranking of the rarest Commodore computer systems (not Amiga). I don't know if there is an official word on the subject. Here are some rare ones to ponder: P-500, B 256-80, 610, 710, 264, 364, C-116...

Region matters of course. I live only a quick drive to the old Commodore headquarters, but that does not seem to have any impact on how easy it is to find any of the rare ones. If anything I live in an area where vintage computers in general are harder to find.

If I'd have had the money, I could have had one of those C=65's. The DX-64, IIRC had no differences from the SX except the additional 1541.
I wonder what they'd have called mine(with the 1581)....
Truth be told...I almost tried to rig a HD in there...
I have a LT Kernal host adapter and all...but the host adapter, HD, and power supply wouldn't quite fit in the case.

I'd have to say the apple i is my holy grail, but I do have the hots for a NeXT system.

Apple 1

Apple 1

Have you played with the Replica 1?

As I've mentioned before around here, I'm dying to get one...
I just haven't had the disposable income yet... ;)

-m

I'd have to say the apple i is my holy grail, but I do have the hots for a NeXT system.

I must be an odd one because the stuff that I want to get my hands on is not exotic or even lusted after. I want to find some video capture equipment with manuals and software for Windows 3.1 systems (ISA cards of this type are rare to find). Drivers for some old Nubus Mac boards that nobody has.

Its just funny to me lusting after rare equipment that was not released or where the company died before any real software was made for the system. What do people who pay $20,000 for an Apple I do with it besides insure it, put it behind glass on a wall, and tell everybody they run into they have it?

Some day, if I have the room, id like to have a super computer with big reel to reel tape drives and a terminal, and a cpu, and a printer the size of a washing machine :D

I'm probably odder than Unknown_K, I collect white box PC's, often to hop them up with expansions that could possibly put the benchmarks out of their class.

Most sought after item for me would have to be various old pre-1992 white box clones made by GEM Electronic Products in Norcross Georgia. For some reason these people apparently LOVED full size AT cases (as do I, as well as XT clone chassis), enough that so far I've had a 386 DX and a 286/10 come across my path stuck in cases modeled after the Compaq Deskpro 386 and after the IBM PC AT. They also seemed to use the most un-killable motherboards I've ever seen, from that 386 DX thing with SIP memory that was originally in my main computer (which sat in a static filled environment with smoking abound for 6 months before I began to use it again in another computer), to that 286/10 that I got off E-bay for $10 bux which blew a capacitor on the motherboard on the first day, rebooted itself, and kept on going without a single problem since I bought it. Apparently they are one of the less popular whitebox manufacturers, but they seem to straddle the fine line between professional and store bought white-box.

I'm also partial to wacky old ISA peripherals myself, my 486 has quite a few of them under the hood including an old Packard Bell T.V. Tuner Card, and old Reveal FM Radio tuner card. So it doubles as my graphical adventure/old Ultima RPG machine, virtual BASIC programming machine, as well as my television. Who needs an emulator when you can get the real thing, I just hook up my Atari 2600 to the 486 and off I go.

Maybe this stuff does not appeal to many of the people on this site, but then that just means more white boxen for me (as well as a few name brand models, mostly being old Deskpros and Tandy 1000's, and the original PC and XT). Possibly the only computer I'd ever put on display just to say I have it would be an original IBM PC 5150 with original documentation in it's original configuration, and even then, I probably copy all the media so I could use it with the computer to show it off.

Unknown_K said:
I must be an odd one because the stuff that I want to get my hands on is not exotic or even lusted after. I want to find some video capture equipment with manuals and software for Windows 3.1 systems (ISA cards of this type are rare to find). Drivers for some old Nubus Mac boards that nobody has.

some of the older ATI cards should do (we have one kicking around that we use as part of the security system) ISA card that connects on to a pci vid out card with a two connector ide cable. only uses the isa slot for power.

I got a hold of a Winnov AV ISA capture/videoconferencing card last week and have been playing with it.

There were commercial setups for doing video capture on the PC under Windows 3.1 but not much information is available on the net for stuff that old and obsolete (let alone drivers and software).

Wow yeah, really kewl design and it seemed packed with features for it's time....Nice little treasure .... If I find one, you can have it, but Terrycan't cause he displayed selfishness LOLOL...nah if I fidn it it will beup for bids ;-)

Back