• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Iomega drops older drivers from their support site

mbbrutman

Associate Cat Herder
Staff member
Iomega doesn't have device drivers online for their classic Zip drives. (Both parallel port and serial.) They are seriously pushing their newer drives, which look to be USB only.

I like my parallel port Zip drive - it can run on anything from a PCjr up to a new Linux machine. Iomega dropping the drivers from their web site leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

(I have the drivers but make a note to yourself to make sure your collection of drivers for classic hardware is complete.)

Re: I have them ...

Happy that I found your archives. Good to see you're still active. I used to loot your old site about 10 years ago after acquiring a 1000SX and remember you detailing your problems with Tandy.

I still have the SX and a program I acquired with manual called "Home Organizer" as well as a manual of Symantecs Q&A Write which required Deskmate. I never did get Deskmate (MSDOS 5 had been installed) but I see you now have it on your site. If I like it I might put it on my GRID LT.

Thanks

Lawrence

tvdog said:
DOS/Windows 3.1 drivers here:

http://tvdog.shacknet.nu/tandy1000/misc/iodos31.zip

or:

ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/tvdog/tandy1000/misc/iodos31.zip

I downloaded them from Iomega's site only a few months ago, it seems. Just in the nick of time.

Tandy produced two different versions of DeskMate 3, one for all PC-compatibles, and another which would only run on Tandy hardware (not sure where GRiD figures into the picture).

--T

Terry Yager said:
Tandy produced two different versions of DeskMate 3, one for all PC-compatibles, and another which would only run on Tandy hardware (not sure where GRiD figures into the picture).

--T

The Grid 1500s had a small HDD and only 3 Oconnor models work with them without altering the data in an EEPOM. I love the beast and most of the personal organiser programs I've tried are either too big or cheezy.

L.

Yeah, out of all the early gui-type programs, DM was always my favorite. Too bad Win-dose won out over all the others.
The only thing I don't like about the HomeOrganizer program is the password setup. Once you've set a password for your personal data, it cannot be removed or altered without wiping the program and re-installing it.

--T

On my first computer, I had Deskmate II (Tandy 1000SX), i think that was probably the most productive GUI I EVER used. I did everything on that program from keeping a schedule to writing stuff for class. The sucky part is that it won't work on a non-Tandy computer (at least, not properly).

Micom 2000 said:
Happy that I found your archives. Good to see you're still active. I used to loot your old site about 10 years ago after acquiring a 1000SX and remember you detailing your problems with Tandy.

I still have the SX and a program I acquired with manual called "Home Organizer" as well as a manual of Symantecs Q&A Write which required Deskmate. I never did get Deskmate (MSDOS 5 had been installed) but I see you now have it on your site. If I like it I might put it on my GRID LT.

Thanks for your comments.

I don't have the manuals for Home Organizer or Q&A Write, just the disks. Do you suppose you could scan them so I could put them online along with the programs?

DeskMate II

DeskMate II

Mad-Mike said:
On my first computer, I had Deskmate II (Tandy 1000SX), i think that was probably the most productive GUI I EVER used. I did everything on that program from keeping a schedule to writing stuff for class. The sucky part is that it won't work on a non-Tandy computer (at least, not properly).

Try the Tandy 3000 version of DeskMate II:

http://tvdog.shacknet.nu/tandy1000/deskmate/3kdm2dk1.zip
http://tvdog.shacknet.nu/tandy1000/deskmate/3kdm2dk2.zip

(or see ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/tvdog/tandy1000/deskmate/)

The 3000 was a pretty standard AT, so I would expect fewer problems on a new PC than with the SX version.

tvdog said:
Micom 2000 said:

Thanks for your comments.

I don't have the manuals for Home Organizer or Q&A Write, just the disks. Do you suppose you could scan them so I could put them online along with the programs?

The Deskmate Q&A Write manual is about 200pp in a softcover 7 1/2"
x9 and the Home Organizer about 60pp in an 8 1/2x11 size, so it would be quite the chore to scan them. I frankly don't have the time for such a task. Possibly, once I have them installed on one of my computers and working, I could lend them to you if you or someone else were so ambitious. I could answer any questions answered by the manuals however.

L

Back