• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by allCAPPS

1. A

Wanted: 486 VLB Motherboard

So I'm tired of banging my head on the table trying to get my old 486 board to work. I'm in the market for a working 486 VLB board and will to pay a fair price for it. I just need the board. I have several CPUs, IO board, AT PSU and case. Message me if you have a mobo you want to sell. Thanks!
  2. A

Dead 486 Motherboards -- Help!

(Good thing I don't have much hair left to pull out...) I have three 486 motherboards that POSTed occasionally in the past but now not at all. I have tried everything within my level of expertise: verify the jumpers, swap out the processor and cache, reseat all the DIP chips, try different...
  3. A

Norton Utilities 4.x

I somewhat inadvertently started a collection of Norton Utilities that I'm looking to complete by obtaining NU 4.0, 4.0 Advanced Edition, and 4.5 Advanced Edition (if Wikipedia is to be trusted). Please send me a private message if you have a complete, boxed copy of this venerable software.
  4. A

Newcomer to San Diego

Hello from San Diego! As the title says, I just moved to "America's Finest City." I'd love to know if there are any interesting events, stores, or just plain oddities related to vintage computing around here. A little about me: My main hobby is collecting PS/2s and related IBM stuff from...
  5. A

Free: PowerBook 140, Tandy parallel cable, MS wall wart

These items came with another computer I bought. They can be yours for the cost of shipping from 14850. Macintosh PowerBook 140 w/ 2 batteries, charger and dead power supply -- NOT WORKING Tandy parallel cable Microsoft power adapter for unknown device, 12V 1.3A, P/N X03-73497 MicroSpeed...
  6. A

To bolt mod or not? (IBM Model M)

As promised: An update on the Model M repair. Success! I opened it up expecting to find a lot of corrosion. Fortunately it was clean, and the corrosion was limited to the edges of the back plate. As for functionality, a damaged trace was immediately apparent and corresponded exactly to the bad...
  7. A

To bolt mod or not? (IBM Model M)

Hello, everyone. I'm posting to get a second opinion on fixing a Model M which has a few keys that aren't working. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This photo shows where the malfunctioning keys are in relation to the backplate. Curiously, the rivets appear to be okay near where the...
  8. A

For cost of shipping: CGA monitor, IBM CrossPad

I'm doing some cleaning and looking to give away these items. Everything works as far as I know. They can be yours for the cost of shipping (Or you can pick up locally in Ithaca, NY.). 1. Princeton Graphics Systems (PGS) HX-12 CGA monitor (Please add $15 to shipping for the cost of adequate...
  9. A

Mystery IBM PC/AT (ISA) Card

I'm hoping someone can ID this 8-bit ISA card (assuming that's what it is). I have no idea what it is or what it's for. My best guess is it's some sort of proprietary IBM interface card. That's all I know. I picked it up on eBay for 99 cents. Google doesn't turn up much of anything. As far as I...
  10. A

Old and new stuff -- cleaning out the computer closet

I'm organizing/downsizing my collection and want to get rid of some odds and ends. The latest I'll be around to ship this stuff is January 16 so if you're interested, please let me know by then. No reasonable offer will be refused, as they say. Happy to provide more photos or info on request...
  11. A

Memory for IBM PS/2 L40 SX

I'm looking for two 8MB sticks of memory for my recently acquired PS/2 L40 SX. Problem is it doesn't take your good ol' standard 72-pin SIMMs. It's proprietary (leave it to IBM). They physically prevent you from installing normal SIMMs by requiring a deeper notch in the middle. If someone...
  12. A

WTB IBM PS/2 Systems

Hi all! Looking to add some 486's and Pentiums to my PS/2 collection. Looking for these specific model/type numbers. (Better cosmetic condition is preferred. I know it's finicky, but that's what makes it a collection. Haha!) If you have any of these, please let me know! :D I'm in the US and...
  13. A

Recommendations for a GUI on an 8086

Does anyone have suggestions for a graphical environment or GUI OS for an 8086 with 640K of RAM? The GE/OS doesn't need to be useful; I'd just be installing it for kicks and the novelty of poking around in it. The only ones I can think of are Windows 1.0, 2.0, GEM (not sure what versions since...
Back