• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by eeguru

1. E

486slc2 drop in replacement for 386sx?

Does anyone know (definitively) if a 486SLC2 is both pin-for-pin and voltage rail - ie. a true drop-in replacement - for a 386sx? And I mean desolder the sx and solder-in the slc2. I've read conflicting information online. Since the 386 members require a CLKx2 input, I assume the SLC runs at...
  2. E

Amiga 2000, 2MB chip-ram upgrade, and Genlock timing

I have a couple dead and one dying Amiga 2000s - the later with extensive battery leakage but still works. I was planning on replacing the MB in the dead ones with the rescan/remake by Floppy209. However I'm making a few enhancements first - like using 30 pin SIMMs, ATX power connector, and a...
  3. E

Covid-19

What do pangolins taste like anyway? Are they anything like Tasty Wheat?
  4. E

What type soldering iron do you guys use?

I have a few Weller WX2 stations that I use for everything. Highly recommended.
  5. E

T1/E1/PRI Line/Loop Circuit

I go down rabbit holes often and this pleasant distraction came from getting an old machine working and thinking about a related telecom project. I'm not sure where to turn for telephony advice, so I'll ask here in desperation. I had a project sketched up at one point to build a T1/PRI...
  6. E

Love frontpanelexpress.com

Can't recommend them enough. Fabulous work. Pricey $$ but you get what you pay for. This is my umteenth-millionth order from them and not sure if you can tell which two brackets are from them and which one is an original: Not a compensated endorsement.
  7. E

Bitchin'FastPCjr2000

You may have to scroll to the right....
  8. E

Silly Address/Data LED front panels on 80s machines.. or are they?

I have a few examples of machines that included the Address/Data LEDs on the front panel that indicated the status of the CPU bus. Most infamously the Altair 8800 included one out of necessity. It was initially the only display device in the system. They led to 'Kill the Bit' and other novel...
  9. E

Cheap China retro-computing knock-offs. Good or bad thing?

There's been some great work lately on retro computing projects meant to preserve and extend the life of existing retro-computing favorites as well as create some new ones. Most of the contributors have graciously open-sourced their hardware and software efforts for the betterment of the...
  10. E

Gravis Ultrasound Classic vs PnP

From my understanding the AMD Interwave generally added the following enhancements over the Gravis/Forte GF1: Ability to address up to 24 bits of RAM/Flash (16 MB) vs 20 bits for the GF1 (1 MB). Additional DMA on-the-fly transforms such as 16-bit signed conversion and auto-interleaving...
  11. E

I wish to create a new DMA/RAM expansion card for the Tandy 1000 line.

Also here are my dimensions for the PLUS cards I've built (XT-IDE, HardMPU, Memory, and NE2000) so you can cross-check your footprint: Edit: Just realized the forum decimates the resolution a great deal. Re-hosted here
  12. E

Indigo shipping sadness.. don't look if you have a weak stomach

Awesome packing job. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RQQPmTLIhTS8PR2sEV9Pizt0DNotYjlL
  13. E

Archiving QIC tapes

I have nearly a half dozen quarter inch cartridge tapes that need dumping. The biggest challenge so far has been finding a drive with solid capstan. I have 10+ drives (mostly Wang) and they've all turned to mush. However I did find a Sun QIC drive with solid rollers last week. So I was...
  14. E

History behind the disk images of AT&T UNIX System V Release 4 Version 2.1 for 386?

It has to be. It's certainly not true for the 3B2 (the SVR3 & 4 base development platform). I don't believe it's true for the WGS/386 release considering this is a photo I just took:
  15. E

I wish to create a new DMA/RAM expansion card for the Tandy 1000 line.

As you've probably already discovered if you chased GH's reference, the pinout of the Tandy ISA slots is non-standard. Tandy added the bus hold/hlda signals in place of some pins so the cards could support an 8237A. Firstly, I don't know what the obsession is with adding DMA to Tandy's...
Back