• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by ibmapc

1. ibmapc

Using an XT keyboard with an AT-type computer

Check this out. That's the older version in my 5155 keyboard. I think I have a better chance to find that one!
  2. ibmapc

Still looking for a spare adapter! I'm also looking for a previous version that uses a simple micro controller instead of the pro micro. It won't use the Soarers firmware or USB. But should work for your purpose, if I can find it! I'll have a little more time to dig this weekend.
  3. ibmapc

The really cool thing with this is you can upload "Soarers" firmware and use it as a USB keyboard on a modern PC!
  4. ibmapc

Its an easy mod! anyone with a screwdriver can do it!! boggit wrote; "Just to be clear, the only thing that would be needed for my use case besides your adapter, would be a passive PS/2-to-AT adapter, right?" No, you keep the original cord which plugs right into the AT motherboard!
  5. ibmapc

I'll have to see if I can find my spare one. Things are kind of a mess right now. I'm trying to move out of my house. It might be a while before I can even look for it. But if you're still in the market for one when I do find it, I will certainly sell it to you for a reasonable price. Probably...
  6. ibmapc

I built a couple of adapters for that very purpose using instructions from a user named ENGICODER on the Deskthority forum. The link below is the GitHub for one of his designs. Everything (Pro Micro Arduino board) is hidden inside the keyboard! XT2PS2 adapter GitHub
  7. ibmapc

PC vs. AT: reasons to own one over the other

I like the looks of the PC better. The 5162 XT/286 is my favorite. 286 performance with the XT case. Although tall 16 bit cards won't fit, still pretty cool.
  8. ibmapc

What pre-boot checks should you perform on a computer that's sat for several decades?

First thing I would do is to pull the cover(s) and thoroughly blow out the dust bunnies. Do this BEFORE applying voltage anywhere.
  9. ibmapc

Greetings from Lodi California

Actually, the guy I was strapped to had one. It was a "tandem" jump!
  10. ibmapc

Greetings from Lodi California

Welcome to the forum. I jumped out of an airplane near Lodi once a long time ago!
  11. ibmapc

Want to use an IBM PC/XT/AT keyboard with a USB computer

Oops! I saw the three at the end of the year and thought it was 23 not 03. Didn't really mean to necropost! Still the Soarer's converter is pretty cool. I have one in my 5155 keyboard that I hook up to a Pentium motherboard that's stuck in my second 5155 portable computer. Of course it's not...
  12. ibmapc

Want to use an IBM PC/XT/AT keyboard with a USB computer

Check this out. https://deskthority.net/wiki/Soarer%27s_Converter#:~:text=Soarer's%20Converter%20is%20a%20closed,project%20is%20no%20longer%20developed.
  13. ibmapc

System parity error tandon PC/XT

You might be able to use the PiggyBack Method demonstrated in the following linked page. https://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5150/ram/5150_ram_piggybacking.htm
  14. ibmapc

The South VCF XT-FDC Modifications

Yep, that looks like the correct part. Unfortunately, looks like it's not in stock :-( I'll dig through my spare parts sometime soon to see if I can find one. No promises. I'm still working on trying to complete a remodel of my house. My vintage computer stuff is stashed upstairs and it's...
Back