• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by snq

1. S

Reading/writing SRAM?

I have an AST 486 that is bugging me about the serial and asset tag no longer being valid, and no matter what I try I just get errors where I try to set it using the tools I found. So I decided to investigate... I disassembled one of the tools that at least seems to read an empty asset tag but...
  2. S

AST Advantage! Adventure 8066d, setting serial/asset tag?

Hi all, I just acquired this AST 486. It's a lovely machine but on every boot I am greeted with this message 11.31 The serial number and asset management tag are no longer valid. Followed by 2 beeps and I have to press F1 to continue. And needless to say it's driving me nuts! The BIOS setup...
  3. S

IBM 4865 external drive woes

Hi all, My 4865 drive has started acting up :( It won't read anything whatsoever any more, or write for that matter. It used to work fine connected in the same setup as it is now, but it hasn't been used for a couple of years. The floppys I'm testing with are working fine in a different drive...
  4. S

Normerel ATCompact, any info welcome

Hi all, I have this Normerel ATCompact machine and I'm looking for any info on it. Jumper settings are of the biggest interest right now. The seller said he believed it was made under license for Xerox. It has a 20 MB NEC MFM drive with a black front as well as a 3.5'' floppydrive with a...
  5. S

PS/2 model 50 80287 coprocessor installation

Hi all, I'm having some trouble getting my PS/2 to recognize the 80287 coprocessor that is installed. The reference software doesn't recognize it when I do an automatic configuration and manual configuration won't let me select it either. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong (maybe need...
  6. S

Stone Age HTTPD

Cool, thanks for testing. I wonder how the int86x() function works? Iirc I looked at the source once and it has some kind of jump table or something? You could implement that yourself if you don't want self-modifying code, maybe in a more optimal way than the CRT does. I tested DHCP with a...
  7. S

Stone Age HTTPD

So I finally got my old PCs installed again yesterday, after moving over a year ago. I figured I'd share my simple http server, maybe someone has a use for it. It uses my homebaked TCP lib, which has only really been properly tested over here on my AT and Dosbox. The main focus has been on...
  8. S

Intel EtherExpress Pro/100 ISA configuration

I got myself some new network cards, but obviously didn't bother to check the system requirements before I bought them. It says a 386 is required but I have a 286.. I found a packet driver for it which says I need to run the configuration utility, which just hangs my AT. A disassembly showed me...
  9. S

Allocating memory in an interrupt handler (C/C++)

I'm working on a program/lib that sometimes needs to allocate more memory while in an interrupt handler. I guess this is generally frowned upon but I like the idea better than hogging memory in advance, not knowing if we actually need it or not. I'm using the regular malloc()/_fmalloc() (using...
  10. S

Router starts duplicating UDP packets?

I'm writing my own little DOS networking library in C++ (Watcom). So far it's going okay and I'm at the point where an application using the library can communicate with the rest of the network over UDP. I got some basic TCP stuff as well but I figured I'd finish UDP first as it's a lot easier...
  11. S

Mem command for older DOS versions

I'm not sure when MEM was introduced but my DOS 3.3 doesn't have it and I've actually missed it a bit.. So I baked my own version and figured I may as well share it here :) It turned out to be 41 bytes, if anyone can see a way to make it smaller please post! Download below, and here is the...
  12. S

Real mode memory copy optimization

I've taken up oldschool programming again and I'm wondering if there are any optimizations to do a regular memory copy? I'm concentrating on performance on a 286 and so far rep movsw seems to be as fast as it gets. I've tried unrolling the loop, reading 8 bytes at a time into 4 registers and...
  13. S

Seagate ST4038, horrible rattling noise

I have an ST4038 drive in my AT and while it works fine, the sound it produces is absolutely deafening. It's tightened properly into the case and everything so I'm pretty sure it's something inside the drive that's causing the noise. Sometimes it will all of a sudden go relatively quiet, but...
  14. S

Guide: 4865 external 720k drive on a 5160

Cool, that works. I'm using IBM DOS 3.30. Edit: Out of curiosity, did the 4865 originally come with an external PSU or what is this 4-pin connector supposed to plug in to? I imagined it may have come with some kind of molex adapter or something? I only had the drive and nothing more. Can't find...
  15. S

Guide: 4865 external 720k drive on a 5160

So I spent the past 8 or so hours figuring out how to get a 4865 drive working with my XT. It turned out to be pretty easy once you know how, so I figured I'd write a little guide, may save someone else a lot of trouble. The first thing to figure out was how to power the thing. It doesn't have...
Back