• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. S

Subbing 27C512 with W27C512 -- 45nS fast enough?

I want to replace a 27C512 ROM in a device with a W27C512 for easier, faster reprogramming. The normal 27C512 ROMs are 10 nS access time and the W27C512 are 45nS. Is that fast enough for a Z80 @ 8MHz? Are they drop in replacements?
  2. S

Looking for PROM programmer

I am looking for a relatively cheap (<$65) ROM/EPROM/EEPROM programmer. Most importantly, it needs to be able to program 27C512 and preferably also program and erase W27C512. I don't know much about PROM programmers. Does anyone have any ideas?
  3. S

Windows 10 technical preview

So I installed Windows 10 technical preview on a spare hard drive in my main rig. First impression is that the Windows Setup experience is the WORST I have ever had. It required the creation of a Microsoft account including my full name and date of birth. This trend of requiring always-online is...
  4. S

EGA card died

I have a problem. It appears my Paradise Autoswitch EGA2 quit It had been stored in a non-working machine but it was in a case and relatively well protected for months. I pulled it out and put it in my 486/33 and plugged a monochrome monitor into it. (I pulled out the VGA card) but it just made...
  5. S

Sound card no longer works after accidentally removing it.

So crap. I was trying PCI ethernet cards in my 486 board (Acer AP43) and I thought I was pulling out the ISA NIC but actually ended up pulling out my SB Vibra16 After I was done testing I put everything back to the way it was but now the sound doesn't work. Device manager in Windows 2000 says...
  6. S

Halt and catch fire

Halt and catch fire the TV show. Has anyone here watched it? I just watched first episode online since I just found out about it. I liked the geeky side of it although they are some parts that aren't my favorite. Still a pretty good show so far
  7. S

Is my soundcard broken?

I am having problems with my sound card. Its a soundblaster Vibra16S I set up the environment variable to A220 I5 D1 T6 (is that right?) Mpxplay played nothing and with doom I hear music but no sound effects. Also there is a low level squealing sound all the time when the system is on.
  8. S

interesting find

So I went into the computer recyclers searching for an AT case (for my 486 build). They had something. It is from an AMAX 386 but the motherboard is NOT original. It has a strange socket 7 motherboard in it with both ATX and AT power connectors and a Cyrix Pentium MMX Two PCI and TWO ISA It...
  9. S

So I bought a PCI 486 board...

So my addiction continues. I just bought an Acer AP43 motherboard. That would be my first PCI based 486 motherboard. I want to build yet another 486 system but I have lots of questions as always. (sorry) First of all is RAM. It takes up to 128MB of 72 pin RAM. What is the difference between...
  10. S

cf card fails scandisk

I finally got a CF to IDE adapter for my 486 machine. I installed it and then booted with a dos floppy. It complained about invalid drive specification but that was easily fixed with an frisk and format C: Must day I don't think I have ever seen format command run that fast. Anyway I tried to...
  11. S

My 486 on the internet

I just wanted to show off my Compuadd 433 486DX/33 with 24MB RAM and Windows 3.11 It does ok on some pages while others will cause very large delays before it becomes responsive again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E2P2dLScJs
  12. S

Uncached RAM seems very slow (speedsys)

I know that the cache has a dramatic effect but these numbers seem dismally low too me. ³ Cache Level 1 ³ 31.67 MB/s³ 20.57 MB/s³ 40.44 MB/s³ 30.90 MB/s³ ³ Cache Level 2 ³ 26.35 MB/s³ 20.52 MB/s³ 22.72 MB/s³ 23.20 MB/s³ ³ Memory ³ 11.32 MB/s³ 20.63...
  13. S

Caching above 16MB

Since upgrading the RAM in my 486 from 8 -> 24 MB, I got curious one the effects of caching. I believe the board does not cache above 16 MB which of course make that RAM slower. This https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.os.linux/yf7LxttQpcQ mentions a 10x (!!) slowdown which I find kind...
  14. S

Floppy drive problem

I can confirm 26 contacts. But I honestly cannot tell if that is the same - the picture is pretty terrible. Added face pictures:
  15. S

Floppy drive problem

More:
  16. S

Floppy drive problem

Came out blurrierthen I had hoped
  17. S

Floppy drive problem

So it looks likes I may be in some deep dog doo. I flipped the power switch to on and immediately the 3.5" part of the combo drive made a constant motor buzzing noise. Soon after the BIOS says "Drive 0 seek error" I haven't popped the case yet, but does anyone have any suggestions? Replacing...
  18. S

Unmarking clusters maked "bad"

A while back I accidentally ran scandisk with the C/H/S misconfigured. It ended up marking quite a few sectors bad. I think that most of these sectors are not bad at all and it comprises nearly 2.5 MB of space. Is there a utility or unmark or rescan these sectors?
  19. S

CompuAdd 433 RAM upgrade (+CMOS battery question)

So as you may know from the other thread, I am currently working on a CompuAdd 433 486 machine. It is working well so far, but I am planning on booting Linux on it in addition to DOS/Win3.1 8 MB RAM is just barely enough to boot Linux and not enough to do anything useful. I would like to get...
  20. S

Compuadd 433 will not boot from 3.25 inch floppy

So I just purchased a compuadd 433 486 machine. It is built very heavy and looks brand new inside. It has a 3.5/5.25 inch combination floppy drive but it will not boot from it. During POST, both halves seek and flash their light but then it says "No boot device available - strike F1 to retry...
Back