• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. A

Xenix External Added Hard Disk Shutdown

Hello all... just thought I'd throw this out there. I have a few Altos machines.. The 886 will cleanly unmount the system's drives at shutdown. The other older system will not. Upon reboot it fsck's the second external drive each time... I have a feeling there needs to be some sort of...
  2. A

Termcaps for VT100

Hello all.. I am not good with Termcaps and I am having an issue with this description. I need to be able to use my "backspace" or "del" key on my laptop to make corrections. It doesn't currently work with this termcap description.. anyone out there know where the modification needs to go to...
  3. A

Altos 886 ROM Update Question...

So I have an Altos 886 and it has ROM version 1.1 but I have a copy of v2.2 from another machine.. These motherboards usually always have all these after manufacturing tweaks added to them. New trace wires.. extra resistors... redirecting of traces, etc. You think updating the ROM from 1.1 to...
  4. A

Altos ***FAULT*** Failure after boot...

I'm an avid Altos collector. I dug out of one of the closets an Altos 586T to begin working on. Cleaned it all up, recapped power supply, rebuilt tape drive, cleaned floppy drive. I have a bunch of other Altos machines so been through this process before. So my first issue was a resistor blew up...
  5. A

Maxtor XT-2190 MFM Help

Ok.. so I’ve tried and tried on my Xenix box to format this drive with the specs from https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-drives-hdd/maxtor/XT-2190-155MB-5-25-FH-MFM-ST506.html Well it doesn’t like to go past 16 sectors I’m pretty sure. The specs say 17. Now if I configure it with specs of...
  6. A

Help on Panasonic JU-455-2 & JU-455-5 Floppy Drives

Ok so I have a JU-455-2 that works just fine. All my jumper settings are correct. Now I’m trying to emulate the same jumper settings on the -5 version. Is this possible? To me it just seems like a newer revision. Upon using Kryoflux I was able to read I think up to 40 something tracks then it...
  7. A

Xenix Snake Game

So I have a 286 version of “Snake” that I have run on an old Altos server with an older ROM and same amount of memory 3mb. Now on another same exact server with a newer ROM it will crash the machine after loosing the game by hitting the snake. If I take out 2mb it runs fine.. without crashing...
  8. A

Custom Ribbon SCSI Cables?

Hey gang does anyone know where I could have a small quantity of custom 68 pin scsi ribbon cables made at a good price? I found a place that wants $500 to develop a template and then they can make them on the fly. I haven't had custom cables made since back in the 90's with Black Box...
  9. A

Y2K RTC Date & Time

So user Svenska on this board was able to successfully create a little program he calls “ndate” to bring my Altos Xenix 3.2 into this century. At least until 2038… He spent hours and I cannot thank him enough!!! Very talented!!! I have an issue though.. while he was in my system programming...
  10. A

Terminal CRT Flyback Transformer Question

Hey there everyone. Wondering if anyone can help me out. My old flyback transformer on a Wyse type terminal.. similar to 50 I would think (It's actually Altos) but they made them for Altos. At any rate the old one the rod on it was snapped.. so it has to be replaced. I have looked and looked as...
  11. A

Xenix 3.2 Programmer Needed (Help)

Hey gang! I’m looking forward to VCF East. I really need someone’s help! I have a Xenix 3.2f 286 Box and I was wondering if there were any programmers out there who could help me patch the Y2K date on it? I know this is a far reach but back in the day there supposedly a patch. The only patches I...
  12. A

Xenix 3.2f Assistance

Looking to fix my version of Xenix to become Y2K compliant... If I remember correct there was a fix way back when.. I did find this file on the net.. (xnx427d) Not sure how to install it or what command to do. I will file transfer it from a Windows machine to the Xenix box in a directory.. but...
Back