• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. C

What, exactly, goes wrong with a motherboard?

Hi VCF folks, I have an ENPC EP-PT11 motherboard from the Pentium 1 era. It's dead. The question is *why* is it dead? The board isn't worth much and probably I should just pitch it, but I am too curious a person to not at least have a theory about what killed it. 1) There is no obvious...
  2. C

HP Small PC 20 - Celeron 300A, 128mb

Hi VCFers, It's finally time for me to part with my trusty HP Small PC 20. It has served me well since about 2004. I bought it to use as an inexpensive computer at the time (it was five years old then). After 2-3 years I had better work and upgraded, and this machine ended up among my...
  3. C

tech question about cpu failure

Hi Folks I have a late-90s box I keep up for fun. It is a Dell R450 with a Voodoo 3 and SB Audigy 2. Recently I have been playing around with upgrading the CPU. I had to find exactly the right slocket adapter, a Gigabyte GA-GR7+. That slocket is one of the few reported to work for the R450...
  4. C

Compaq video ram module, free to a good home

I have an old Compaq video ram module, see photos. It's been in my computer parts boxes for 20 years or so, after I pulled it from a machine that is now long, long gone. I ran across it and almost tossed it, but I figure someone may have a use for it. Pay for shipping at it is yours.
  5. C

voodoo3 16:9

Hi Friendly VCFers Apologies if this is off topic in the Pentium 1 space, though I notice no one seems to complain about 98-99 era hardware questions. So here it is: I have an HP Net PC 20 that I fixed up with a Voodoo 3 card. Has worked great on my 4:3 monitors for several years. So I tried...
  6. C

Using 500mb+ drive in Windows 3.1

Hi Helpful VCF Folks, I have a rather standard 486 with the following specs: DTK PKM-0038s E-1 motherboard AMD 5x86 133mhz 36mb ram I use a StarTech IDE compact flash adapter with a 4gb compact flash card attached as a disk. BIOS recognizes this card as about 1800mb. But I could never get it...
  7. C

Slimline cdrom IDE cable?

Hi friendly VCFers, I know there is ongoing discussion about the scope of this Pentium forum. There seems to be a growing consensus that it include at least PII. So I hope you will forgive me for asking this question about a PII HP Net PC 20. I'm trying to revive this not-so-old system just...
  8. C

pentium overdrive replacing 486dx2 fails to complete boot

Hello Friendly VCFers I have a 486 class system with the following configuration: Intel 486dx2-66 DTK PKM-0038S motherboard 36mb ram Cirrus GD5426 VLB video card DTK PTI-250DW VLB IDE card (and sound and network cards removed for the time being) It is rock solid stable with the dx2. For fun...
  9. C

Windows 3.11 Network Errors

Hi everyone. In the continuing saga of trying to access FTP/Telnet from my Win 3.1 486 box, I have installed an HP27245-60001 8-bit ISA card. I bought it recently, and the owner claims he tested it for network connectivity. Also, I ran a diagnostic program from HP for the card, and the card...
  10. C

Help identifying driver for ISA network card in 486

Hi Folks I have an old ISA card that I cannot identify, but would like to get working on a 486 Win3.1 box. The card has a label on the back "W9SP1-145", and on the front there is a Cirrus CL-GD5429-86QC-C chip. Standard RJ45, 16-bit ISA. Google reveals tons of them supposedly for sale, and...
  11. C

DEC Alpha 164LX

Hi Everyone, I have a DEC Alpha 164LX mainboard + CPU, ram, and other useful parts for sale here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEC-Alpha-164LX-Motherboard-Mainboard-600Mhz-CPU-AlphaPC-Alphaserver-/261724915530? I hope it is not against the rules to post a link to a third party, but I did not see...
  12. C

Exiting Windows 3.11 from BAT script or similar?

Many old programs don't run well in Win 3.x and need to be run from DOS (not the DOS prompt within Windows). That means exiting Windows and then navigating there on the command line. What I'm wondering is if it is possible to set up a shortcut in Windows that, when clicked, will automatically...
  13. C

interpreting cachechk output

Hi Folks In some of my other posts I describe a 486dx2 box I built. I finally have it up using various scrounged parts and an IDE/compact flash converter. Even managed to install FreeDOS after some trouble with bad sectors on old floppies. Anyway I've been worried for a while about the...
  14. C

486 board covered in tantalum capacitors

I bought two 486 boards recently, a DTK PKM-0038s and a PKM-0037s. The 0038s has been great and is in a build now (details in a different post). I'm rather worried about the 0037s. It is covered in tantalums. I have heard that those are likely to fail in an explosive way after 20+ years...
  15. C

486dx2 DTK board turbo switch and cache

I recently picked up two 486dx2 motherboards off Craigslist for $25. I'm trying to get at least one of them working as a computer for education. Teaching intro x86 assembly is much more straightforward on a 66mhz 486 than a 3.4ghz quad-core giant with all the new extensions to distract us, and...
Back