• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. SMichelsen

Using a printer with an Eagle I (?)

I have an AVL Eagle I computer. I am looking to connect a printer. I figured I would use my Epson LX-80, which has a Centronics parallel cable. I see that the parallel ports on the Eagle are not the same - please see the photo. It has serial ports that are actually the same pin config as my...
  2. SMichelsen

need help identifying a capacitor

Can someone please tell me what the correct replacement for this capacitor is? I need to replace one that failed in dramatic, smoky fashion...
  3. SMichelsen

Booting a CP/M computer for the first time in 30 years. Precautions?

I feel like this topic may have been covered already, but I cannot find reference to it, so... I was given an AVL-style Eagle II computer. It has been sitting in non-climate-controlled storage for 30 years. It looks pretty clean on the outside; I have not taken a peek inside. Before I try to...
  4. SMichelsen

IBM WD-325N 20MB HD compatability?

Will an IBM WD-325N 20MB drive, broadly indicated as for "PS2 computers", work in just "any clone" after appropriate formatting? Thanks.
  5. SMichelsen

Shugart SA400 external drive on AVL Eagle I not cooperating

I have no fewer than four Shugart SA400 external drives, that were sold to work with my AVL Eagle I (which itself, I believe, is a rebranded Vector I). Three of these are not working. For instance, today I opened up, cleaned and lubed one of these and tested it with my working computer and...
  6. SMichelsen

How to get from an Eagle II to the internet and back?

I have an Eagle II running CP/M 2.2, and have a disk with some games written in Basic by a friend of mine many years ago. I have this notion that if only I could get these Basic files online, an emulator would be able to open them and they'd be playable in a browser. The question of course is...
  7. SMichelsen

was just given an Eagle II, here's it's problem...

I just received an Eagle II from a AV rental house. They had it in their warehouse and "wanted it out". After scrubbing off the disintegrated foam from the road case it lived in for the last 40 years, I found that literally all of the disks I had to boot it actually worked! On the other hand...
  8. SMichelsen

Cleaning a grimy circuit board

I am not sure if this is the proper forum for this, but as the board in question goes into a PC Clone, here goes... I acquired a board that has some really grimy/dirty/not-sure-what-it-is nastiness in spots. Please see the pictures. Can someone recommend the best way to clean this board...
  9. SMichelsen

new to CP/M and Kaypro - advice needed!

So I finally got to start exploring my Kaypro 2X, thanks to a keyboard cable I found on ebay (coincidentally sold by a VCFED member). I have exactly ONE disk for the Kaypro, a boot disk with these files on it... I am a CP/M newbie and am a bit baffled by many of the CP/M commands I have seen...
  10. SMichelsen

Kaypro 2X disk eject question

I have a Kaypro 2X - I am just getting familiar with it. Today I popped in a floppy, then attempted to eject it. I pushed the button in - it stayed in - and the floppy stayed in as well. I poked at the button several times with no result, then let it sit as I did other things. About 20...
  11. SMichelsen

assessing an S-100 computer before flipping that switch for the firt time

I have recently purchased an AVL Eagle computer, which is an S-100 machine. Rather than just rush to switch it on and see what happens, I have been advised to take the following steps. Please tell me if this is the best process to confirm that "all's well" with this machine before I try to...
  12. SMichelsen

25 pin keyboard?

I may find myself in possession of an "AVL Eagle I" which was a CP/M based, single-purpose computer from about 1978, designed to program multi-image slideshows. I am getting the CPU only. The first challenge for me is to find a keyboard that will work with its 25 pin connector! Any ideas on...
  13. SMichelsen

floppy drive trouble

The floppy drive on my "AVL Road Roadrunner", which has been identified by forum member "AVL54" as a "Shugart SA400 diskette drive", has been giving me trouble. It has stopped reading disks - it doesn't even give a "disk read error" message. Please watch this short video to see how it responds...
  14. SMichelsen

sorting out a monitor with no image

I have a single-purpose computer (that I believe is CP/M) that has a monitor with no image. I need to sort out whether it's the monitor or some other component. I figure I can start by running some other composite video into the monitor from another source, but I will need an adaptor, as it...
  15. SMichelsen

master list of XT and AT/XT keyboards?

I have been shopping around on ebay and elsewhere for an economical keyboard for an IBM 5150. I am finding it a challenge to tell the difference between many keyboards that are not listed as XT, or XT/AT switchable, or AT. It would be fantastic if there was a list of all the known models of XT...
  16. SMichelsen

Wanted: Audio Visual Laboratories (AVL) "Genesis" full length 8-bit board

I am looking for a full-length 8-bit board called the "AVL Genesis" card. Here is a picture of the end of it... If you have one, let me know - make an offer. It's a single-purpose board that along with the proper software interfaces with slide-projector dissolve units Thanks! Steve...
  17. SMichelsen

Storing PCs in my NJ garage?

I am considering storing some of my project PCs in my garage, in a metal closet. I am in New Jersey, and the attached garage is unheated. Has anyone had any experience with doing this? I know it's not ideal but I need to make room inside. Thanks, Steve
  18. SMichelsen

Kaypro 2X - trouble right out of the box

So today the Kaypro 2X I bought on ebay arrived. I unpacked it (it was quite well packed), set it up, and pushed the button on the floppy drive to remove the "cardboard shipping floppy", and NOTHING HAPPENED. The cardboard seems locked in. I powered the machine on, it is asking for a floppy...
  19. SMichelsen

EGA/CGA to VGA board

Does anyone have any experience / suggestions / opinion on boards like this one, for converting EGA/CGA to VGA? It would be convenient for me to use a flatscreen monitor when monkeying with my mid '80s hardware.
  20. SMichelsen

Kaypro 2X boot disk?

I just acquired a Kaypro 2X and of course there are no boot disks. Can anyone suggest how or where I can find one of these? I understand that there is a flavor of the Kaypro master disk that only works in the 2X. Thanks much, Steve
Back