• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. Chuck(G)

8" 96-tpi drives

There was one short-lived version offered by Hitachi; I'm not aware of it making any market headway. Herb Johnson tells the story: https://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/8inchHD.html I've never run into the media, personally.
  2. Chuck(G)

A tip for those designing new hardware for vintage machines...

That probably explains why my XT-CF is still working with the 2764 EPROM. I do have a batch of 28C64s, but have used them on other projects--and programmed on an EPROM programmer, not in situ. On the other hand, I have a XT-CF Lite (initial type with the Xilinx 5V CPLD on it) that's still...
  3. Chuck(G)

A tip for those designing new hardware for vintage machines...

I'm still using the original in a clone. This is from the time when you built it yourself from the PCB. There is the infamous "chuck mod" worked out on it. Uses a modified Hargle BIOS. I"ll add that the ICs are whatever I already had in my hellbox of parts. The CF card is an old 192MB one...
  4. Chuck(G)

CP/M 2.2 Distribution + MDS-800 Emulation

I believe the F-85 was launched in either late 1978 or early 1979. It's hard for me to remember the official launch date because we had a number of beta test sites going on That we had quad-density (100 tpi) 5.25" floppies was somewhat remarkable then, just short of a megabyte apiece. The 4...
  5. Chuck(G)

Question about programming the 6845 video IC

I recall my Sony monitor--every time the scan rates changed, you'd hear relays clicking. One burnout monitor casualty was the MDA/MGA 5151 that lacks a horizontal deflection oscillator. Basically, it will use whatever frequency for horizontal scan that is fed it. Fatality usually involved...
  6. Chuck(G)

https://www.sydex.com/durango/durango.html
  7. Chuck(G)

Midwest GDM-1950 Trinitron Monitor

It probably will, but not for BIOS-oriented text display, of course.
  8. Chuck(G)

I started using fixed-frequency montors (which this one appears to be) back in the EGA days, using the big Mitsubishi units that Daisy used on their workstations. Later, I moved to VGA Trinitrons, mostly. Again, fixed-frequency. My recollection that it mostly took a custom BIOS (there...
  9. Chuck(G)

Used to have one--great monitor, but as you mention, pretty darned heavy.
  10. Chuck(G)

Question about programming the 6845 video IC

To further muddy the waters, there are different versions of the 6845 made by various vendors. Not all are interchangeable. That one stung me years ago as documented here
  11. Chuck(G)

Pertec-interface tape controller.

I'll have a look at it this weekend and see if I can make it work.
  12. Chuck(G)

The idea is that numerous changes have been made in the source code. Some of the original files are still there, but others have been added and others changed. Is it possible to automate an update procedure using diff and a shell script? And what was wrong with sccs that github doesn't use it?
  13. Chuck(G)

Looking for a test run on Intel 8080 and Intel 8085 machines

I recollect that AC is always set as if the operation was an addition (Z80 may differ in this).
  14. Chuck(G)

Shugart 850 and Cromemco 16FDC

They're supposed to be offset from side to side.
  15. Chuck(G)

Texas Wanted: Paper Tape Punch (Facit, GNT, doesn't matter)

Try some outfits dealing in used/antique CNC stuff. Back in the day, they used a lot of paper tape.
  16. Chuck(G)

I'm not sure how easy it is completely updating the source branch. Looks pretty complicated to me. If there were a simple bash script to run, that'd be fine.
  17. Chuck(G)

Ah, so you're not running a real MDS-800? I remember having to bootstrap a new hardware platform with 5.25" GCR disks. It took some doing. What made things more interesting is that the ROMs in the new machine expected a different filesystem to load the boot (which was in Intel HEX format)...
  18. Chuck(G)

Believe it or not, MP/M was actually bootable (with distro disks) on the MDS-800. 2 console configuration. That the standard CP/M distro worked on the MDS should surprise no one. How do you think we got the thing going on our own hardware?
  19. Chuck(G)

Intel 8085 question

Anent the K and V flags, Ken Shirriff has a good rundown on the actual silicon: https://www.righto.com/2013/02/looking-at-silicon-to-understanding.html
  20. Chuck(G)

Very quick repair of post code 07 of a random mainboard with a Pentium CPU (maybe also 486, 386, ???)

If you do a search of this forum on DS12887, you'll get some hits. IIRC, the issue seems mostly to affect some PS/2 models.
Back