• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Midwest GDM-1950 Trinitron Monitor

Covers: North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Minesota, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio

appleIImidi

Delivery Options
Local Pickup Only
Need to gauge interest, I'm trying to decide whether to take these or not. Potentially going to pick up 2 of these behemoths. 85lbs each so shipping isn't really something I want to mess with. 5 BNC connectors on the back. I bought a VGA to BNC adapter so I will test them and update afterwards. Not really sure what the value is but I'm more into trades anyway. Mostly Apple II or PC stuff PIII and older, software, books, etc. I'm in St Louis, MO.

Attachments

• IMG_20240424_102519.jpg
    IMG_20240424_102519.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20240424_102513.jpg
    IMG_20240424_102513.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20240422_172846.jpg
    IMG_20240422_172846.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 23
Used to have one--great monitor, but as you mention, pretty darned heavy.
Do you know anything about the type of video card that would have originally driven these? Would have to be pretty sophisticated for 1991 I would think...

I started using fixed-frequency montors (which this one appears to be) back in the EGA days, using the big Mitsubishi units that Daisy used on their workstations. Later, I moved to VGA Trinitrons, mostly. Again, fixed-frequency. My recollection that it mostly took a custom BIOS (there are/were outfits that offered these) and the BNC-to-HD15 cable. Eariler on, the EGA stuff was SOG, and it took a little external circuitry for that.

I started using fixed-frequency montors (which this one appears to be) back in the EGA days, using the big Mitsubishi units that Daisy used on their workstations. Later, I moved to VGA Trinitrons, mostly. Again, fixed-frequency. My recollection that it mostly took a custom BIOS (there are/were outfits that offered these) and the BNC-to-HD15 cable. Eariler on, the EGA stuff was SOG, and it took a little external circuitry for that.
I'm under the impression that I can test this as a second monitor to get the frequency correct so it will display. From the research I have done, it won't show the BIOS data or anything though. I wasn't sure if it was the BIOS or a special graphics card that made it fully compatible.

I plan on bringing an old PII computer with a 2nd video card installed to test. Crossing my fingers it will work.

I didn't end up taking them. Couldn't get a sharp or stable image out of either. Both had the screens constantly scrolling. One much faster than the other. Don't have the knowledge or the time to troubleshoot/repair.

There was also a 9 pin monitor with the 2 that looked like it was quite expensive back in the day, but I didn't have anything to test it with.

Is that analog RGB? If so taking them was the smart move....

Not sure what I'd do with them. If they worked correctly, I would have taken them. I put them up here and no one showed interest. I ended up with a K6-2 industrial computer with some kind of voicemail card instead. NT 4.0

I have a Supermac GDM-1950 STD 9790 Trinitron 19" Color monitor, same as the one pictured. Haven't used that monitor in a while but it worked great with BNC connectors on a Quadra 950 machine.

Specs:
SuperMac STD9790 (19" Trinitron Display) Specifications

spec.gif

gray.gif

Screen Attributes
19" Aperture grill
19 viewable image
.31 mm dot pitch
Input Signal
Video Signal : Analog
H Frequency : 60.24 Khz
V Frequency : 75 Hz
Sync Signal : Separate, Composite, Green
Video Bandwidth
100 Mhz
Input Connector
5 BNC
Maximum Resolution
Maximum : 1024x768, 75 Hz
Macintosh :
Flicker free :
Power Use
Power Supply :
Consumption :
Compatibility
Mac Adapter : Mac Sync
PC Adapter :
User Controls
Analog controls
BR, CT, VE, CV
Plug and Play
Dimensions and Weight
Height : 17.6
Width : 18.9
Depth : 20.1
Weight : 97
Regulatory Compliance
EMS EMI :
Safety :
X-Ray :
Radiation :
Power Saving
gray.gif

I didn't end up taking them. Couldn't get a sharp or stable image out of either. Both had the screens constantly scrolling. One much faster than the other. Don't have the knowledge or the time to troubleshoot/repair.

There was also a 9 pin monitor with the 2 that looked like it was quite expensive back in the day, but I didn't have anything to test it with.
I think you had the wrong input signal. Either wrong polarity or frequency. Or the screen required sync on green.

If the screen showed some kind of picture they are likely to be fine although I have one like these that has a capacitor problem in the video section. The picture is stable but the characters are smeared out.

I think you had the wrong input signal. Either wrong polarity or frequency. Or the screen required sync on green.

If the screen showed some kind of picture they are likely to be fine although I have one like these that has a capacitor problem in the video section. The picture is stable but the characters are smeared out.

I guess because they are fixed frequency, the options for adjusting it just weren't there (in Windows 98). The video card was an ATI Rage XL. I used a VGA to 5x BNC adaptor I found on Amazon.

Yes. They are fixed frequency.

Back inte the day I spent quite some time configuring XFree86 modelines for various fixed frequency monitors.

Of course it didn’t sync when it did the power on test. But the monitors were almost free so it was worth it…

I don’t remember that there were driver settings to tweak the frequencies but I didn’t run much Win9x back then. Mostly Linux.

Within certain limits it is slso possible to tune monitor a little bit.

Back