• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. G

Well, I'm done. Giving up Commodore 64s for good.

Constant drive issues never end. I just had TWO drives go out of alignment at the same time. A 1541 and a 1541-ii. I'M DONE. I love the thing when it works, but how many drives do I have to buy?! Unless somebody has a simple solution for aligning these things, I'm out!
  2. G

Thoughts on this?

Got a great deal on a Commodore bundle. Got it more for all the other stuff, but I figured a spare C64 wouldn't be such a bad idea. Got it home, powered it up, black screen. Opened her up and I saw this in the rf modulator. That can't be good, right?
  3. G

HUGE Laserdisc Collection - Any interest?

Came into a huge collection of Laserdiscs. About 300+ in total, but I'm only selling about 100 of them. Before I start listing every single title, is there an interest here for such a thing? Ok, for price. Lets do it this way - 10 or less - $3 each plus shipping. 11 - 30 - $2.50 each plus...
  4. G

Replacing Computer Chips on a 1541 Drive

Never done this before, so I'm hoping to understand better before I make a move. Recently, I hosed up my 1541 drive and determined that, most likely, the VIA 6522 chips needed replacing. Of course, this is just my best guess, but whatever. Here are the chips in question. So what my question...
  5. G

"Colour" Printer Plotter VIC-1520

I have a "Colour" Printer Plotter VIC-1520 in box for sale. Appears to come with everything, though I have no idea if it works as I have no clue how to use it with my Commodore. It does self test though. If you're interested and would like to walk me through some testing, I'd be happy to do so...
  6. G

Mouse Won't Move in Windows 3.11

I have my mouse hooked up via an onboard com port and a ps/2 adapter. I'm using the cutemouse driver in dos 6.22 and when I play games via dos, the mouse works fine. However, when I load up windows 3.11, the mouse doesn't move. Can somebody tell me what I need to set up in order for it to...
  7. G

Need a C64 Drive/Tape Drive/Software

Looking for all you see above. I'd prefer a 1541-II because the 1541s are awful, but if you have something else I'd consider it. Anyway, if you have extras kicking around, let me know. I'd also be interested in software if you have it and depending on what it is.
  8. G

Movies/Shows Involving Retro Computing

I love Halt and Catch Fire and was wondering if anyone knew of any other movies/shows that touch on retro computing. I'd also be interested in hearing about any documentaries or books.
  9. G

C64 in box with manual - worth $45?

Somebody local is selling a c64 for $45. Comes with slightly damaged box and manual. Worth it?
  10. G

Speed Issues On Games Despite Meeting System Requirements

I have a 486DX2 system with 8mb of ram and a video card of unkown origins. What I do know about the card is that it is a multi IO card with intergrated Cirrus Logic CL-5424 chipset and is an ASI-VLB card. It seems like this hardware should be able to run stuff like Doom and System Shock without...
  11. G

Setting Up A SB16 on a 486DX2 System - No Sound

Any tips on setting up a soundblaster on a 486DX2 system? The card is a CT2230 ISA card. I plugged it into an open ISA slot, installed the drivers and yet...still no sound. What could I be missing?
  12. G

System with 16 mb of memory only seeing 4 - Help!

So I just added some new ram to my 486dx2 system and it doesn't seem to recognize all of it. In fact, it appears to only see 4mb of it (one stick basically). Is there a spot in the bios where I need to set the amount of ram? Thanks for your help. Don't know if it'll be helpful, but my...
  13. G

WTB 2MB Video Card ISA VLB

Looking to buy a 2mb video card fitting the isa vlb form factor. Looking for one that was quite decent in its day (and one that I can still find drivers for). Let me know what you have and what you're looking to get. Thanks!
  14. G

Anyone here into collecting big box PC games?

Any interested in trading? I have some duplicates. Figured this might be a good place to set up some trades. Post up if interested! All these items are complete as far as I know. Pics of complete contents can be provided if needed. Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon Gabriel Knight 3 Tex Murphy...
  15. G

System Shock Running Slowly - Meets System Requirements

Trying to run system shock on my DOS system that has a 486 DX2 and 8mb of ram. This appears to meet the requirements of the game, and yet it runs horribly at the lowest settings. Any ideas on what might be slowing it down?
  16. G

All My Floppies Are Dead! :(

I recent bought a bunch of blank 3.5" floppies and stored them next to my P5-100. When I bought them, they worked. Two weeks later, I try using them and none of them work! I've tired them both on a Win7 machine with an external floppy drive and on a Windows 8 laptop with an internal floppy...
  17. G

New Guy Getting Into Vintage Computing

Not having the best of luck so far with hardware issues, but I am making strides in learning DOS 6.22. When I first got into the PC world, all that had gone by and everyone was on Windows 95, so I'm kind of going back to see what I missed. So far, it's been a disaster, but I guess that's how you...
  18. G

Need Help with A Gateway 2000 P5-90 Not Recognizing Disc Drive

I recently bought a Gateway 2000 P5-90 preinstalled with MSDOS 6.22. After struggling with figuring out how to use DOS 6.22, I decided to give up and install windows 95 instead. After installing Windows 95 from CD, I noticed that my CD drive didn't show up under "Computer." Going back to the...
  19. G

Getting MIDI sound from Soundblaster 16 but No Digital Audio

I have a Gateway 2000 with a Soundblaster 16 in it. Trying to set up a game I installed, and under sound card options, I can get test sounds for MIDI, but no audio for the digital test sound. Anyone know what might be going on? Not sure what the other settings need to be "port, etc." Hoping...
Back