• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. W

The "Ahl Benchmark" of BASIC performance

This got me curious to see how the eZ80F91 at 50 MHz on my Min-Ez system using BBC BASIC 3.00 under CP/M 2.2 would compare to the AgonLite 2. The accuracy is the same and the random-ness is all over the map from ~2.09 to ~23.77. Since I don't have internal BBC BASIC timing routines, the...
  2. W

Blew in from the Canadian prairies

IcedMuons: Welcome aboard. cjs: At least I lived and worked in Edmonton for 11 years before seeing the light and coming back to Calgary :-) That took a detour via a stint in Toronto and now to a more relaxed lifestyle in Okotoks. However, I'll give Edmonton ONE credit ... it has a hockey...
  3. W

Writing Assemblers... What should a good assembler do?

Although this thread has gotten off topic, I'll add my $0.02 on topic before responding to previous comments. I've written a fair amount of Z80 and derivatives software in assembler. In order to make it available and useful for others, I choose to simply use very commonly available and...
  4. W

Best "starter" CP/M machine? (and looking for KAMAS outliner software)

Some of the factors related to new versus used chips should be based on the experience of the builder, the availability of testing tools and the complexity of the devices. Used parts may be cheaper but some issues can take a lot of time and work to determine whether it's a device failure versus...
  5. W

Best "starter" CP/M machine? (and looking for KAMAS outliner software)

As the developer of the MinZ series (MinZ, MinZ-C, Min-eZ & eZ-Tiny), I originally chose to let this thread play out with comments from others. While it will be good for the community if an Agon Heavy is released, I'll make a few points: 1) I choose to not include VGA/KBD in my designs since...
  6. W

Self Modifying Code... Best Practice or avoid?

Zilog's eZ80 processors (except eZ80190) force all I/O addresses to be 16-bit, regardless of being in Z80 or ADL mode. Per the product specifications: "All I/O operations employ 16-bit addresses" and "... addresses within the 0000h-00FFh range are routed to the on-chip peripherals". Also, "The...
  7. W

Just to further confuse the Z80 and it's derivatives 16-bit I/O characteristics: While IN r,(C) places the B register on A8-A15, IN A,(n) places the A register onto A8-15.
  8. W

After 50+ years of writing assembler code, I'm very much against self-modifying code. Having written a LOT of S/370 assembler code in a large real time multitasking environment, it was always written as reentrant code. From this experience I learned to avoid programming "tricks" and adopted...
  9. W

Alberta FS: Matrox Marvel G400-TV video card

This will be heading to the recycler on Monday if there's no interest over the weekend.
  10. W

Alberta FS: IBM PC & XT Technical Reference Manuals etc.

Cleaning up for a move and have a few things for sale or going to the recycler shortly. - IBM PC Technical Reference Manual - IBM PC-XT Technical Reference Manual - IBM DOS 2.10 Manual - IBM Basic Reference Manual - IBM DOS 4.0 package I'd like to ship these as a bundle and unfortunately...
  11. W

Alberta FS: Matrox Marvel G400-TV video card

This is an AGP card that includes a connector box that has A/V in and out (S-Video, composite & stereo) plus coax input for analog TV. Original owner and it was used successfully on an ASUS P2B-B motherboard under Windows 98. Manuals, connector box, cables and CDs included. $75 including...
  12. W

Has someone written a BIOSGEN

I've written a fair number of CP/M BIOS's and since I normally use M80 (Z80 & Z180) or ZDS for eZ80, I simply build the tables myself and don't use the DRI macros. My $.02 is that if a programmer CAREFULLY reads Section 6.10 in the CP/M 2.2 Alteration Guide they should have a good handle on how...
  13. W

Insight into IBM software (5110/5120 by the mid-1980s)

I worked with ACS aka RTPMS for many years from 1975 to sometime in the early 2000's, starting out as a systems programmer with a customer and eventually as a consultant, both independent and also supplying worldwide support for IBM. Besides the basic host software cost, a site required a...
  14. W

Veroboard/Perfboard/Prototyping Board

Since you're north of the 49th, have you checked out proto-advantage.com ? I've used them in the past for TQFP adapters ... not the cheapest but very good quality. There's several smaller sizes of breadboards and item SBBTH4080-1 is 8.1" x 4.2" with plated through holes at $31.37 Cdn + $2.84...
  15. W

Educate me on multitasking under MPM - what do I need for "power user" usage?

In anticipation of MP/M, the eZ-Tiny already initializes Timer 1 values for 60 Hz during initialization but doesn't actually enable the timer or interrupts. The eZ80's RTC is also enabled for access to TOD values. MP/M is on my to-do list but no guarantee of when I'll get started on it.
  16. W

Small Cased Z180 at 36.864MHz with CP/M 2.2, 1MB RAM, SD & RTC

Per the PM sent earlier, it appears there may be a power-on till access timing issue with the PNY cards. Pressing the reset button versus actual power off/on should indicate whether that is the issue. Testing of these systems, including the one you have, has been done with a variety of...
  17. W

Running TRSDOS on Z180 & eZ80

Lowen: I think zero wait bank switching may be achievable with either 2 external SRAMs and/or the very careful use of fast logic, whether LVC, FET or possibly something like a Lattice ispMACH 4000V CPLD with 2.5ns Tpd. I'm tied up for a few days but will reply privately after I've had a chance...
  18. W

Lowen: I understand what you're thinking of doing with the multiplexing but one thing you'll need to be very conscious of is the speed/timing of a 50 MHz eZ80. Basic timing only leaves about 11 ns for external address decoding plus the actual memory access. Typical multiplexor / memory...
  19. W

Off topic but for clarification: The eZ80F92 specification states that it's UARTs are capable of 1.25 Mbps and they also includes 16-byte FIFOs. With 8-bit serial that's 125 KB/sec which gives 160 T states per byte for plenty of processing. The Agon documentation also states that it uses flow...
Back