• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. T

Senator Ted Stevens' Internet envisioned as a series of tubes

15 years ago, on June 28th 2006, Alaska's Senator Ted Stevens said that "... the Internet is ... a series of tubes". While widely ridiculed at the time for failing to understand the nature of the services his Senate committee was in charge of regulating, I figured I'd take a look back on the...
  2. T

Attached images not displaying larger versions when clicked

For quite some time, images attached to posts only show as the smaller ones inlined in the posts - clicking on them produces the expected expanded display window with < and > buttons, but no image. For example, here. I tried looking at the page source, but it is pretty disgusting. The W3C...
  3. T

RS-232 "breakout boxes" for serial connection troubleshooting

It looks like we don't have a topic for these yet, so I created this one. Feel free to post any information you have regarding specific models, tips and techniques as applied to interfacing vintage computers, modems, and terminals.
  4. T

Request for fixes of various regressions in the forum software

I came here to give some feedback* on an incredibly annoying problem when typing replies - If I cut and paste text from anywhere else, it erases all of my carefully-composed text and replaces it with whatever I pasted. This is a new misfeature since the forum software was updated. Normally I'd...
  5. T

Digital GiGi VK100 colour graphics terminal

Shouldn't the stuck crosspoint be detected as a FCG/SUPF during call setup and bypassed? This also sounds like a maintenance that should have been deferred until late night or weekend off-peak hours, unless the switch had been operating without the grid while it was out being "repaired". Since...
  6. T

Dell Inspiron 8000

I'm doing the same thing, but with the Dell Studio 1558. That's a much newer (2009-2010) model, and is probably the last fully customizable laptop from Dell (just for the top cover, there were over 200 stock styles to choose from!). I have built these out to pretty insane levels of configuration...
  7. T

Data General - Various documents and reminiscences

This thread will be a "data dump" of various documents and reminiscences of Data General as I find them.
  8. T

TSZ07 repair advice needed - Error 54 - Motor Fault

I'm restoring a DEC TSZ07 (AKA Cipher M995S, I think). The company I got it from said that when they powered it on 10+ years ago, it displayed gibberish on the front panel display and then went dead. I disassembled and cleaned it and determined that they had let the magic blue smoke out of the...
  9. T

Question about 3270 Coax Protocols

No, it just appears to be a re-spin of the older designs, since it still has the 8X305 and 3 2KB RAM chips. I'll attach 3 pictures (none taken by me) of what appear to be 3 generations of the card design. I think the standalone converter was the IRMAline and IRMAlink was the name of the file...
  10. T

[alt.folklore.computers] 12 LA-120 printers Perth, Western Australia

Found on alt.folklore.computers - Australian Computer Museum Society Inc has twelve LA120 printers surplus to their collection. Condition not stated. Pickup only (Perth, Western Australia). If interested, please click on the a.f.c link above - I have nothing to do with this beyond passing the...
  11. T

Mystery core memory (core plane only)

Does anyone recognize this? I have no real reason to believe this is from a DEC system (and, with a 20 50-bit words or 50 20-bit words, it probably isn't). The RICM has an identical board (here), but they don't identify what system it is from. Gratuitous close-up glamour shot:
Back