• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. M

Child of NABU Founders Working on Network Emulation

The seller mention to me the eBay froze the listings because he was too far behind shipping stuff out. Once he gets caught up, the listings should work again. (A viewer visited in person and told me there were an estimated 2200 units although it's unknown how many of those actually work. The...
  2. M

Child of NABU Founders Working on Network Emulation

I did a quick look at the schematics, and it would easy to give the system 32K of ROM. Just a simple mod and running the extra address linse to the ROM socket. Of course, that won't make it MSX compatible because of the different IO ports. At first glance the interrupts are handled differently...
  3. M

The Official Nabu PC Floppy Disk Controller thread

Hi snuci, looking at your pics, your ribbon cable looks completely corroded. Typical for these terrible things -- they should not be blue/green under the white plastic, but gray/silver. It's copper under there and over time it goes bad, turning the blue/green as copper does. If your controller...
  4. M

videx vidterm 80 col clone with a bad rom

So funny, another viewer just emailed me several ROMs for the VIDEX and clones. My particular card is the clone which is 100% identical to the real thing. Note that some cards use 2708 cards and omer use 2716. You have to configure the jumpers appropriately on the board if yours uses a 2708 and...
  5. M

Looking for Franklin Ace 1000 ROM images

So I was working on my (Working) ACE 1000 and I decided to clean the mouse poop off the motherboard. In the process, I removed the ROMs and went to read them all in.... Sadly, in the process, I accidentally wrote to the ROM in G7 before reading it out. One would think it wouldn't do anything...
  6. M

Good HDMI to composite adapter

I got one from China .... it looks like this. It works great but I did have to modify it. I know for sure the luminance output on S-Video was too dim. It had an inline resistor that was too high so I had to remove it and then add a lower value. I seem to recall adding a 75 ohm and removing...
  7. M

I wish to create a new DMA/RAM expansion card for the Tandy 1000 line.

I'd be worried about using this type of connector: if they stop making those adapters suddenly it would be much harder to use your board. Versus 40 pin IDE which would be used with a ribbon cable to whatever is available or these types of plug in adapters which take power right from the PIN 20...
  8. M

I wish to create a new DMA/RAM expansion card for the Tandy 1000 line.

Looking at normal ISA bus cards are pretty much always going to use a 245 for stability -- because look how long traces are on a ISA bus and it has 7+ slots, so it a good thing to do for stability when you have a ton of other cards installed... But I stand by the fact that since there is no...
  9. M

Two of my C128 (Flats) have weak chroma output

Hey all! Two of my three flat C128s have an interesting issue. The chroma output is very weak resulting in a nearly black and white picture. At first I thought my cable was bad or maybe my monitor was having an issue.... but going between a C64 and my other C128 show that it's other two flat...
  10. M

Tecmar jrWave Memory Expansion for the IBM PCjr (pics)

Well I'm calling it quits on this card .... I don't know how many hours I've spent testing this but there is something wrong with the DRAM fresh on it. Over time the RAM on the JrWave starts to lose the contents and if you try to use the RAM, it will crash. I outlined what happens in the post...
  11. M

Hi guys, ok I have everything sorted out. Unfortunately, my PCjr itself or the Tecmar JrWave appears to have issues. As soon as I add memory then enable it (using either JRCONFIG.SYS or Techmar's CONPCJR) the computer becomes unstable. (More on that in a second) My issue with the memory test...
  12. M

Fascinating -- so yes the JrWave has that pin header to allow the JrCadet to connect up. I guess if you had a whole lot of 64k RAM chips then could buy the Cadet to keep adding RAM. So I did a little more troubleshooting --- using the Tecmar "MEMTEST" utility, I am getting some issues with...
  13. M

LOL! Some people want to remain anonymous :-) But yes, pleased it is working, at least sort-of. I tried using the JRCONFIG.SYS and it does seem to work but once the memory is allocated to DOS, things start acting a little funny. Sometimes "memory allocation errors" in DOS or spontaneous reboots...
  14. M

Hey guys -- a viewer sent me a very nice memory sidecar for my PCjr. He sent a Tecmar jrWave expansion sidecar. Pics and some info: https://imgur.com/a/m5uee6M He wasn't sure if it worked at all as he had had it a long time and no longer has a PCjr. He also didn't have the manuals or power...
  15. M

Commodore 1571 Troubleshooting

Hi guys, I have my very orange Commodore 1571 I'm trying to fix. Here are the symptoms: - Drive powers up normally - Drive does _not_ reset when powering on the connected computer - Accessing the drive, it does attempt to read the disk. The Green LED blinks rapidly while it's trying, the head...
  16. M

PC Jr. keyboard interface protocol

I recently acquired an untested PC Jr, matching monitor and the "Freeboard." It's in great shape but is missing some stuff. I was missing the power supply -- so I just went ahead and ordered AkBKukU's ATX adapter for it. When I had it open, I found it had the longboard power supply and the 64k...
  17. M

Commodore 64 refused to die

Hey guys, I wanted to share this story with you. I was out in rural Oregon (outside of Portland) picking up a cool Amstrad PPC 512 computer. The seller said he had some other old stuff that had been outside on his property for a very long time and wanted to see if I wanted it. He had some...
  18. M

Advice on replacing leaking caps on Extron RGB 202xi converters

Pics first: https://imgur.com/a/0pxxxe3 So I have five Extron RGB 202xi video converters from 1995 -- and I notice some of them have cap electrolyte on the PCB from leaking caps. I took one tonight I started to work on removing the caps to see how bad it was. Four or five caps were very leaky...
  19. M

Monitor IIc troubleshooting - power LED but no HV or heater

Ok nevermind all of this. I plugged the monitor in to a video source at home and it came alive. I could hear the HV startup ... so I suppose HV doesn't run unless a video signal is being sent. Perhaps it's a 1984 version of "Energy Star" LOL Happy camper here. Now to disassemble it to clean...
  20. M

Monitor IIc troubleshooting - power LED but no HV or heater

Hi guys, I recently picked up a boxed Monitor IIc and stand to match my Apple IIc. (I have very fond memories of spending countless hours a day using my Apple IIc when I was a kid, so yes, trying to recreate this.) I was happy when I received the monitor in that, other than yellowing, it's in...
Back