• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. S

fluxengine and 8" drives

anyone use a FluxEngine with 8" drives (SA800 or 850)? i have the fd50to34 board. i'm wondering how head loading is handled and such. thanks!
  2. S

8” systems ps2 keyboard adapter... features?

i’ve got time to finish my adapter and thought i’d ask what features you would you like to see? at the moment it just emulates best it can an 8” systems keyboard, but it could do more. if there’s a feature you’d like let me know; i’ll try and include it.
  3. S

HD64180 Mode Working

Finally had some time to get back to this. Photos attached are of the board working with an HD64180 CPU installed. I'll get going with the Z180 in the next day or so. You may be able to see the dead bug method on the board... I sourced a DIP version of the delay line, but when I got to...
  4. S

Bubble memory and the Model 3

https://hackaday.io/project/170832-magnetic-bubble-memory-makes-a-comeback Bubble memory..... I’ve attached an article that briefly describes how this worked, along with a good photo. This was never in the RS product line.. At the time, my director was Tom King. Tom wrote many of the early...
  5. S

Model II/16 Cursor Generation Video

I’ve been horsing around with the Model 2/16 VDG card and took a look at the CURSOR signal… Maybe you don’t know how the cursor is generated—perhaps you lay awake at night staring at the ceiling pondering this—or, maybe not. :D It isn’t held in video memory, it’s generated by the 6845 CRTC...
  6. S

Found my Model I

Newspaper packing had a date of September 22, 1985. Not exactly standard configuration... A couple of Tandons and a Micropolis drive, not shown.
  7. S

Communication Multiplexer -- 68000 Conversion

Submitted for your approval, one Radio Shack Communication Multiplexer converted to a 68000 system.... An interesting morning... This is the first time in 30 years that I've opened the top of this unit and looked in. Several of these systems were built at RS in various departments. We had...
  8. S

Have an extra M16 Motorola CRT card or keyboard REPEAT keycap laying around?

Title pretty much says it all... The Motorola CRT card in my M16 restoration project bit the dust and I'd just as soon not troubleshoot it right now. So if you've got an extra you'd like to get rid of, I'd be interested. As well, I'm missing the REPEAT keycap on my M16 keyboard. If you...
  9. S

Model II HD64180 Daughter Card Design

So... In ~1985 or thereabouts Hitachi released a super Z80 called the HD64180. I got our Hitachi Rep to give me a sample and docs and set about designing the conversion for the Model II--seemed like a good way to have some fun. First thing was to build a proof of concept and that I...
  10. S

Model 16 Renovation

Some early notes on a Model 16 renovation.... resurrection? A little of both, I guess. A friend had this sitting in his storage shed in Fort Worth and he'd bought it moons ago when it was surplussed from CPE, Computer Product Engineering. I was surprised he still had it! I'd had a rental...
  11. S

Model I Training Fixture

The postings about early Model I technical information reminded me of this... The photo is of an early, maybe the first Model I training system. This was old when I first saw it in 1980. I don't know who built it or when, but it was in National Technical Support in 1980. When we taught the...
  12. S

And now for something different...

anyone know what these boards are? technical support produced these "Port 80 Diagnostic Boards" in december 1988. valerie see did the design, wrapped the prototypes, worked with the fab to do the layout and production of pre-pro runs and final production. there are 2 wire wrap versions here...
  13. S

Some service notes for Model II/16 computers

Hi everyone... I worked on quite a few of these systems back in the day and taught some classes covering them too. Here are a few notes off the top of my head: 1. Do a complete visual including looking at the card cage connectors, Molex and such. The card cage connectors take a lot of abuse...
Back