• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. djfitzgerald

Connecting a VT320 to a DECmate III?

I picked up a DECmate III at VCF East consignment, and tested it with David Gesswein's DECmate II monitor/keyboard. I don't have the monitor/keyboard myself, but I _do_ have a working VT330 that I use with my PiDP-11. Is there a disk image out there configured to let me use my VT330 as the...
  2. djfitzgerald

PCjr serial mouse questions

I have a working Microsoft serial mouse that I have successfully tested on my 5155. I have a PCjr. I made a DB-9 adapter for the RS-232 serial port on the PCjr. I plug my mouse in, and the Microsoft Mouse driver recognizes it, mouse test software indicates that it can register left and right...
  3. djfitzgerald

DOS applications not finding SoundBlaster Pro

I've been trying to install a SoundBlaster Pro card in my PC-AT (5170), but I have been running into some issues. All of the SoundBlaster-provided DOS test applications work, as do their Windows applications (specifically, their MIDI jukebox), but I can't get Jill of the Jungle or King's Quest...
  4. djfitzgerald

PC/AT Model F keyboard is giving me grief

I've got a Model F keyboard for my PC/AT that I had to take apart to service, and its been giving me no end of grief putting it back together. I must have put this thing back together half a dozen times by now, and each time it gives me some sort of keyboard error. Currently, it is giving me a...
  5. djfitzgerald

How would one diagnose a //e PSU problem?

I have an Apple II Plus with a replacement (//e) PSU installed in it (Dynacomp model). About two months back, I started having power problems that manifested in a dim screen and the disk drive not having enough juice to run the stepper motor. Not knowing what I'm doing, I purchased a recap kit...
  6. djfitzgerald

Any advice on cleaning a Kraft joystick?

I'm posting this here because my particular Kraft joystick is the stock one for a PCjr. It hasn't been used in ??? years, and just plugging it in and trying it out shows that it isn't registering downward direction data. I had two more Kraft joysticks (one still new in box), and got similar...
  7. djfitzgerald

Need help with a finicky Qumetrak 142 floppy drive (PCjr)

I started work on a PCjr at the March VCF East repair workshop, and have been running into some issues with the floppy drive. I have been having intermittent problems with it playing a game, and suspect a possible drive issue. I'll presently describe what I did and what I observed, and would...
  8. djfitzgerald

Getting NDIS->PKT shim to work for mTCP

Long story short, I can't get mTCP to recognize the NDIS packet driver shim that appears to be correctly installing in my MS-DOS 5 based 5170. Read on for details... I have an Ungermann-Bass NIUpc/EOTP card and am trying to get a packet driver working for it so that I can use mTCP. I cannot...
  9. djfitzgerald

Which memory SIMMs will work in a PC-AT?

Over in this thread, people were talking about how PC-ATs appear to be picky about which kind of memory SIMMs that they recognize. Is there a definitive list of what types of SIMMs work in a PC-AT, or is it just a game of Russian roulette (ie: buy 1MB SIMMs on ebay, pray that they work)? I...
  10. djfitzgerald

Connecting a Mac 512Ke to a non-Apple printer

I just acquired a Mac 512Ke, and would like to connect it to the printer on my workbench. But my workbench printer is an IBM/Lexmark, and I forgot that old Macs used a different connection and typlically Apple ImageWriter printers. Is there any way to connect a non-Apple printer to a 68k Mac?
  11. djfitzgerald

Need help finding number settings for an Ungermann-Bass 16 bit NIC

I picked up an Ungermann-Bass 16-bit NIC, part 33549-02. However, I am having an extremely difficult time finding any information on this card on the internet. Has anyone had any experience with this card, or know where I can find something to document its jumper settings?
  12. djfitzgerald

Best mouse for a 5170? Serial compatibility of IBM mouse?

I'm looking to add a mouse to my 5170 project. I have a pair of IBM PS/2 "V" shaped mice (Model 6450350)... does anyone here know if they have built-in serial compatibility (i.e.: could I just buy a PS/2 to serial passive adapter and hook it up to COM1)? If not, what recommendations would you...
  13. djfitzgerald

High-capacity disk read errors on an AT

I'm trying to use my AT to work with 1.2 MB "high capacity" 5.25" inch disks. I had a stack of IBM red label disks, a couple of odds and ends, and then a shrink-wrapped pack of IBM red label disks. What surprising me is that I am finding read errors on all of my 1.2MB floppies, including the...
  14. djfitzgerald

Adding a CF card slot to a 5170 without wasting an expansion card bay?

I'm working on modifying a PC/AT to use a CF card as a removable solid state hard drive using an XT-IDE card. I want the card to be removable, so that I can easily muck about with the hard drive on a modern computer. While the easiest way to do this would be to use an IDE-to-CF adapter with a...
  15. djfitzgerald

Tips on rebuikding a PC-AT power supply

I was at the last VCF east work weekend last month and the power supply on my 5160 went. One of the guys told me that power supplies were relatively easy to fix, told me the parts that I needed, and said that he would walk me through it the next time we meet. Well, one coronavirus pandemic...
  16. djfitzgerald

3Com 1221 8 Bit Etherlink Card jumper settings

Good morning, folx! I am trying to install a 3Com 1221 8 Bit Etherlink Card into my 5155. Does anyone have documentation on the jumper settings, so that I can get the dang thing running without conflicting with my video card?
  17. djfitzgerald

Screws for back of PC-AT case

I have a PC-AT that is missing the five or so screws needed to hold the case on. Does anybody know what size screws I need to purchase to replace them?
  18. djfitzgerald

Princeton Graphics HX-12E monitor

I recently purchased a Princeton Graphics HX-12E EGA monitor, and I wanted to get some feedback on its initial start up behavior. I don't have a 9 pin cable for it yet (it should arrive tomorrow), but I wanted to plug it in and power it on beforehand to make sure that there weren't any...
  19. djfitzgerald

Diagnosisng/repairing a PC Portable keyboard

I have an IBM PC Portable (5155). After a few months of it sitting unused, I turned it on and got a keyboard error code on POST. I booted it up, and ran diagnostics, and it appears that at a minimum the J and numeric pad 6 keys are stuck down. I want to know how to diagnose and possibly...
  20. djfitzgerald

Can a VGA card be installed in a PC-Portable (IBM 5155)?

I know that certain VGA cards can be successfully installed into a PC-XT. Because the PC-Portable (5155) uses a rev. 1 XT motherboard, in theory it should be possible to install a VGA card there as well. However, the 5155 has some funkiness with the internal display interfacing to the CGA...
Back