• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. H

Where did you find software/games in the 80s in the US?

I grew up in the 90s and remember going to computer stores and such and looking at big box games and software. I am messing around with an IBM 5150 and looking for software and games to try. Are there any good old catalogs or magazines to look through to find good software/game ideas to try?
  2. H

5150 External Floppy Drive WITHOUT Harddisk

I am following the Youtube video of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7foE0pSlJ8&t=1059s and the written instructions of http://minuszerodegrees.net/5150_5160/external_diskette_drive/5150_5160_external_diskette_drive.htm. These instruction all require you to have a fixed drive. I have been...
  3. H

Tandy 1400LT XT CF Card Flash

I put together one of the Lo-Tech CF cards for the Tandy 1400. When trying to flash the BIOS, I get the following screen: Im using this chip...
  4. H

Tandy 1400 Broken Switch

I accidentally broke the switch for the INT/EXT floppy drive. I need to take the board off and look at the back to make sure that it can be removed easily (I assume it can). Does anyone know how I can find a suitable replacement? Any help is appreciated.
  5. H

Tandy 1400 LT Gotek

Here is the correct wiring diagram
  6. H

Tandy 1400 LT Gotek

In one of the 8 Bit Guy videos, he is trying to get a Gotek to work on a Tandy 1400 LT. I have been working on mine for hours today without getting it to use the drive, and now none of the internal floppies work (Thankfully it still uses the external 5.25 inch drive I have). I have the Flash...
  7. H

5150/5160 External Floppy Drives

Did IBM make an external floppy drive for the 5150 or 5160? I have looked all over the internet and cannot find what one would have looked like. I am working slowly on getting a gotek to work as an external drive, and I would like to 3D print and paint a case for it to make it look like a...
  8. H

Esp8266

I have been trying to get this to work all day with no results. I have procomm plus installed, and have setup an ESP8266 per the link below for my 5150. https://subethasoftware.com/2018/02/01/wifi-coco-for-15-or-for-any-retro-computer-with-an-rs-232-port/ I can telnet into BBSs and I can...
  9. H

IBM 4865 external 3.25 Drive: What card do I need?

For anyone else who might be looking at these. This is what the internal power connector looked like for these. Evidently extremely hard to find now.
  10. H

IBM 5153 Flickering

I just started getting some flickering and text getting brighter momentarily on my 5153 connected to my 5150. I plugged a CRT TV in to the composite output and it is working fine. This setup has a lot of sentimental value. Could this be a capacitor problem or something else?
  11. H

LX-800 User Manual

Does anyone have the user manual for the Epson LX-800? I have the technical manual, but am looking for the user manual.
  12. H

Ibm ps/2 56 slc

I just got an IBM PS/2 56 slc. It shows another (model?) code on the front that displays 8556-059 beneath the serial number. I would like to get it on the net and transfer files via a null modem cable with my other computer. The problem, is that I cannot tell how the serial port works and...
  13. H

Epson LX-800 Roller Reconditioning

I picked up an old LX-800 at an estate sale this weekend. It works, but it doesn't feed very well. There's really no tackiness to the roller on it. From what I can see online, it looks like it may need reconditioning. Anyone have any experience with this? On a side note, do these things...
  14. H

Windows 98 3D Pinball install

I know this isn't quite as old as most of the stuff on here, but does anyone happen to have the "how to" for installing 3D Pinball - Space Cadet from the Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95 disk? I know there was a way to do it on Windows 98, because it was super fun to play as a kid. I have looked...
  15. H

Gotek Emulator as Primary Floppy Drive for IBM 5150

Hello all, I am brand new and trying to figure this out. I can find no info anywhere on the net except for one youtube video mentioning it as a possibility. I have been able to remove the primary floppy drive and attach it via jumper wires to the floppy ribbon cable. I have a usb drive in...
  16. H

Hello from Texas

Hello all! My grandfather and I both have shared a huge passion for gadgets. All throughout my life we have really enjoyed spending time together learning and playing with all means of them. Unfortunately he passed away in November. While going through storage, I found his old IBM 5150 along...
Back