• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. S

Bendix G-15 Restoration: Harry Huskey

A sub-thread of Bendix G-15 Restoration The chief designer of the Bendix G-15 was computer pioneer Harry Huskey who based it on the Automatic Computing Engine (ACE) designed by Alan Turing at the National Physical Laboratories in Britain. Huskey had worked with Turing there for a year. Much of...
  2. S

Bendix G-15 Restoration: Garage Archaeology

A sub-thread of Bendix G-15 Restoration I finally got a good look at the Bendix today. It's been in my friend's garage for many years and has a fair bit of dust on it, but it's in great condition overall. I live in the mountains at the end of a very bumpy dirt road, so we're going to transport...
  3. S

Bendix G-15 Restoration: Hexadecimal, Sexadecimal, Shmexadecimal

A sub-thread of Bendix G-15 Restoration One of the first things you discover when you start exploring the G-15 is that numbers are represented in base 16, but the hexadecimal (Greek root) A-F "digits" are not used for values 10-15. Instead, they use sexadecimal (Latin root) "digits", where the...
  4. S

Bendix G-15 Restoration: Typewriter Console

A sub-thread of Bendix G-15 Restoration I'm starting with the what I'm calling the typewriter console, also known as the "Master Writer", since it's easily transported, fairly light and relatively robust compared to the fragile vacuum-tube CPU and magnetic tape mechanisms. I live in the...
  5. S

Bendix G-15 Restoration

Sorry for cross-posting, but I wanted to let the broader community know about a Bendix G-15 Restoration project I just launched over in the Minis and Mainframes forum: Bendix G-15 Restoration
  6. S

Bendix G-15 Restoration

I have a long-time friend who recently mentioned to me that he has an old computer in his garage that he’d like to find a good home for, preferably a museum. “What type of computer is it?”, I asked. “A Bendix G-15”, he answers. “Oh cool”, I answered, having no clue what he was talking about. I...
  7. S

Classic Repair #1: White rust on metal chassis

This is the first of what I hope will become a series of posts on restoration techniques for vintage computers if there is enough interest. I'm working on several restoration projects and constantly run across issues that I'm sure the collective wisdom of VCFed can help with. I'll be sure to...
  8. S

New series on restoration techniques?

Hi All, I'm working on several vintage computer restorations, mostly DEC PDP-11 and earlier, and would like to start a series of threads on restoration techniques. I have some to share but hope to solicit many more from the group members. The threads would be titled something like "Classic...
  9. S

Looking for PDP-11/23+ parts for museum restoration

Hi All, I'm working on restoring a DEC PDP-11/23+ for the University of Colorado computer museum and I'm struggling to find a few parts, working or not, needed to complete the system. Please let me know if you have any of these items and would be willing to donate or sell them. You can see a...
  10. S

Looking for a pair of DEC RL02 drives, working or otherwise

Looking for a pair of DEC RL02 drives, working or otherwise, for a PDP-11 restoration destined for a local computer museum in Boulder, Colorado. It's fine if it's not working - I'm happy to try and get it up and running. Thanks! Here's a link to the restoration blog...
  11. S

Any interest in Heathkit genre?

Is there enough interest in Heathkit computers to warrant a new genre forum? I've recently become interested in restoring some Heathkit H8 gear and would find a Heathkit-specific genre forum very useful. Thanks, Steve
  12. S

PDP-11/23+ Restoration Blog

Hi All, I'm in the process of restoring a PDP-11/23+ for a local computer museum (mediaarchaeologylab.com) and blogging the experience. Check it out if you're interested and I could always use some input. Thanks, Steve www.headspinlabs.wordpress.com
  13. S

WTB: DEC VT100 Keyboard

Hi, I'm looking for a VT100 (or VT102) keyboard to buy. I'm restoring a terminal, but the keyboard is missing. Thanks, Steve
  14. S

WTB: MITS 88-VI/RTC - Altair Vector Interrupt / Real-Time Clock Board

Hi, I'm working on an Altair restoration with my son and we'd love to find one of these boards. Thanks!
Back