• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. rlerner

Texas Wanted: Pentium 2 or 3 machine w/ IDE

Wow, damn nice! I'll shoot you a message -- thanks for sharing this!
  2. rlerner

Thanks! N00b mistake, I probably won't make it again ;)
  3. rlerner

Hi all! I am hoping to find a pentium 2 or 3 machine w/ IDE in or around the DFW area. Preferably not in a server form factor. I've checked Craigslist and haven't found a good machine there yet, and I've already burned through a bunch of "shipping" cash buying the wrong machine elsewhere...
  4. rlerner

What Mainframe and why?

You cray....
  5. rlerner

Compaq 386/20 for Backing Up CHS Disks

Lol, yeah I'm cleaning up this 386 and I'm just going to try and recover my costs on it at this point. I'll be happy knowing I was able to keep a machine like this going and that somebody who wants it will have it. Going to have to park this project until I see a Pentium unit around
  6. rlerner

Four-Phase Systems IV/90

Amazon seems to have them pretty cheap: Panel Fastener: ($16.65 for six) https://www.amazon.com/Southco-NY-4P-43-4-50-NYLATCH-Two-Piece-Fasteners/dp/B076FXH3LK/ Panel Stay: ($13.23 for six) https://www.amazon.com/Southco-NY-4G-43-20-NYLATCH-Two-Piece-Fasteners/dp/B076FWF9CH/ I guess not...
  7. rlerner

Howdy from Dallas, TX

Nah, I left Facebook ~5 or so years ago, at least on LinkedIn I can still troll people who are posting for vanity, Facebook was just a mess -- plus those people knew where I live :P That's really awesome to hear about that going down, I hope I can attend! BTW: I love the "DFW Metromess" in your...
  8. rlerner

Four-Phase Systems IV/90

I'm sure you noticed since it was a while ago, or maybe you came up with a solution already... I've just read the entire thread and it is a great read indeed. Awesome to see so much effort put into restoring a system I've never heard of. Anyways, for those push rivets that hold the front on...
  9. rlerner

My collection

Really awesome collection, I'm digging the pile of chips! What kind of DIP do you like on your Chips?
  10. rlerner

The RTC is socketed, I took the chip out and did it on my desk (Filing, soldering) and then put it back in. Mainboard wasn't effected at all. First I'm seeing about something needing to be disconnected, worst comes to worst I could always replace it with one of these if the voltage drops or it...
  11. rlerner

Are you talking about where I carved the side of that RTC? I had watched a ton of videos and looked at ones where people carved it down, there was no way I was going to hit anything behind it. I was a bit nervous about it but I was able to read 0.5vDC from the metal I did hit, so it seemed safe...
  12. rlerner

@dhamilton : I have a Dell Poweredge 2300 laying around, which fits the definition of a Pentium 3 but it does NOT have built in IDE, it has floppy and it has SCSI (since it is a server). My reasoning behind getting the Compaq was something that was old enough where I could specify C/H/S. Compaq...
  13. rlerner

FreeDOS or MS-DOS Low Level Disk Access (byte/block)

Thanks Caluser2000, something for me to try! I am looking for forensic backups simply due to the freespace, but I'm sure most of it has been clobbered by scandisk and defrag runs back in the day.
  14. rlerner

I may end up cleaning this up now that I got it fixed and tested it and just trying to resell it. I'd like to keep it but the idea was to downsize the amount of stuff I've held onto for years and another tower sadly isn't going to be the solution for this. Several of my drives I have do follow...
  15. rlerner

Sorry! OEM Compaq Windows 3.1! I wasn't aware of that limitation, however. My first DOS was 5.0. Yeah I'm finding that out. I've heard a few things about XTide, a custom BIOS but I'm not sure what kind of a time I'll have with that since it appears to be a bit different from the EEPROMs I'm...
  16. rlerner

I wanted to keep a bit of a log of what I'm doing with this computer and wanted to put it somewhere where folks might be interested and somebody Googling in the future will find it if they need it. I had posted recently that I wanted to back up some old IDE disks and some clues on what I can do...
  17. rlerner

I really appreciate all the links everybody is sharing! SD to IDE thing just got delayed so I hope it's here on time for the 386. For GHOST 2.0, I only found 6.0 in German on Archive.org -- and I don't speak German so I'd wreck something with that. I'm betting y'all are right about the 386 not...
  18. rlerner

I'll look around through this and see what I can make, I'll also look into these Linux distros. I started Linux more or less late to the game with like Ubuntu 7.04 iirc, but I'm comfortable enough in the command line and if I bork a disk it'll suck but won't be devastating. I assume these sorts...
  19. rlerner

Howdy from Dallas, TX

I think I've seen a few of your posts around and noticed Katy, TX. I used to know a guy from there so it stood out
  20. rlerner

I don't doubt that at all, but the problem I'm having is lack of support for older disks. I have a machine that has IDE but it won't see all the disks. I suspect it's due to the type of disk (CHS vs LBA), but who knows, it could be that they're toast. I'm not sure of a reasonable Linux distro...
Back