• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. EverStaR

My Chosen 486

My Chosen 486 MB arrived today! Time to build phase 1! What would make your chosen 486 system build and why? ASUS 486 DX4/100. Huge retro period correct tower, new unused!
  2. EverStaR

ServerWorks and Win2K Server

Thought since so many people were nudging me this way I would startup a thread and see who has some great tips to share. For those new to the background. I have a couple of Dual Pentium III Intel Server MOBO's and have built out one system and collecting the few last tibits for the other. The...
  3. EverStaR

Pentium 4

What is your idea Pentium 4 system and why? Are you a gamer, OS enthusiast, or other? Please weigh in with your dream ma Hine and logic behind it! I don't discriminate on your passion, tell it like it is for you! E
  4. EverStaR

Dual Pentium III

Hello again, work had me quite busy, not much time to build out systems. Today I put the Intel SAI2 A66889-201 MB in a Case that has the 2 Pentium III Tualatin 1.266GHz + 3GB RAM. While I might still load a CF Card for Win 98 to run on it, I am trying to decide between Win 2K or XP. I read...
  5. EverStaR

We need something better than cards for retro PC HD Drive Replacement

GPT weighs in: Replacing hard drives in retro PCs, requires consideration of several factors, including the original hardware's limitations, the desired outcome (e.g., authenticity vs. modern convenience), and the availability of contemporary solutions that are compatible with vintage...
  6. EverStaR

Ultimate Pentium Build

Please educate me! I have been on a bit of a kick building awesome retro machines, my 486 Builds hve trajected towards some nice results, and the CoreDuo strategy is progressing nicely. So please feel free to tell me about your ultimate pentium builds, I will definitely be interested and...
  7. EverStaR

New 486 Build

I was able to find a DATA Expert Motherboard and it can take up to 128MB RAM. It says 72Pin SIMS and regretfully the manual doesn't offer much more other than for 128MB it would take 16*2 DRAM in each of its 4 slots to get the 128MB. Its been a long time so need a little help. First off...
  8. EverStaR

Share what you know on this MB

Perhaps I made a mistake, I wanted a VLB MB with a combo of VLB and ISA slots. This cool looking MLB popped up and I purchased. It was an ignorant purchase, so I will just concede that now. Ok, stupidity aside, what the hell is this thing? What type of OSU do I need, that is a 12 pin...
  9. EverStaR

Which 3rd sound card 486 DX2 66

Hello, Working on a killer 486 ISA VLB system for ultimate sound. I have an Adlib gold, GUS clone and need a 3rd sound board to host a MT32 Duaghter Board. This is because the gusnwill have a dream daughter board, the adlib gold will have the surround daughter board. This last sound card is...
  10. EverStaR

Classic 8X Plain IDE CD-ROM Drives

Where can you find these in new like looking condition - need a pair of white ones for the 2 486 DX2 66's I have. How fast did they get before they went ATA?
  11. EverStaR

Clone Video Cards?

If they were to clone a video card for 486 era like they have for ISA Sound Car, say ISA, VLB or PCI , which famous video card would you want? E
  12. EverStaR

486 DX/2 66 - Switching speeds down to 33

Curious and need help! What are my options for knocking a DX2 @ 66 down to 33 when needed? Are the CPU jumpers and a switch used for that typically or is there a program that can be run only when needed? Thanks! E
  13. EverStaR

Point and Click Adventure Games from the late 90's

I remember fondly several from this erra and early 2000's. SIERRA had many, kings quest, space quest, leisure suit Larry to name some. Lucas Arts, Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island and more Cinemaware, Rocket Ranger, Wings, it came from the desert, more The Longest Journey, and the whole series...
  14. EverStaR

Which retro Pentium for Win XP?

Thinking about an XP build, but my memory off that era is a bit Foggy, and I thought I might get some really good perspectives on what to look for in a Pentium Retro PC. What are your thoughts for a Pentium System, highly compatible for games system? Thanks in advance for your input! E
  15. EverStaR

Gateway 2000 4DX2-66

I have purchased two of these now, only have received 1 so far and am working through setting it up and getting it optimized. I figured i would share the Journey here in case some others end up with one of these. Thus far finding any documentation on the has been really tuff! No online...
  16. EverStaR

486 DX2/66 Graphics Card

Any suggestions here for a Gateway 2000 486 DX2/66? I have one ISA slot and one PCI slot available. I have an ISA SoundBlaster 16 in the other ISA Slot. I wouldn't mind maybe adding an ethernet card in the unused slot after I select a graphics card. Open to suggestions there as well. I...
Back