• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

1000EX Possible Alternate Monitor?

jfriordan

Hello All,

I finally was able to find a 1000EX that works. That was my first computer and kick myself for selling it back in the mid 90's. As of the moment I don't have monitor for it. Is there an alternate monitor I could use other than the CM-5, CM-11. I had the RGB CM-5 back in the day.

Sorry if a stupid question.
Thanks
John

Hello All,

I finally was able to find a 1000EX that works. That was my first computer and kick myself for selling it back in the mid 90's. As of the moment I don't have monitor for it. Is there an alternate monitor I could use other than the CM-5, CM-11. I had the RGB CM-5 back in the day.

Sorry if a stupid question.
Thanks
John

Adrian did a nice video that might give you some ideas:

Personally, I would probably get one of these: https://www.serdashop.com/MCE2VGA

Any RGBI CGA monitor should work fine with the Tandy 1000EX. Or any of the digital CGA to HDMI or VGA adapters should work well too.

I used a CM-4 back in the 80s with my EX. The Tandy monitors weren't all that good, especially for the price.

Any version of the 1084S will be far easier on your eyes. I use the Magnavox 1CM1352 with my EX and love it. It also has a built in amp with stereo speakers and additional inputs making it compatible with many other systems from the 80s.
The CM8833 is also similar and more common.
Unfortunately, any CGA/EGA monitor is difficult to find these days. And if you do find any 1084S variant, the flyback WILL fail if it hasn't already been replaced. Power switches also fail. Both are available and not too difficult to replace...and the switch can be disassembled and repaired better than new if you're up to it.

Plan B is to go to TexElec and order the RGBtoHDMI – 6-bit TTL Edition converter. It's freakin' awesome. Now you can hook your EX up to any monitor/TV with HDMI input and have a razor sharp image.
And before someone mentions it...no, I have never detected the slightest amount of lag while using it.
Also, if you have a VGA monitor kicking around, you can use it with a HDMI to VGA converter which is about $3 on eBay.
Personally, I prefer and use the CGA CRT monitor. I've done the flyback, HOT and switch, but know it still won't last forever, and the well of low hour good CRT monitors is running dry.

I should also mention that your EX has a composite output but it looks like absolute crap.

I used a CM-4 back in the 80s with my EX. The Tandy monitors weren't all that good, especially for the price.

Any version of the 1084S will be far easier on your eyes. I use the Magnavox 1CM1352 with my EX and love it. It also has a built in amp with stereo speakers and additional inputs making it compatible with many other systems from the 80s.
Unfortunately, any CGA/EGA monitor is difficult to find these days. And if you do find any 1084S variant, the flyback WILL fail if it hasn't already been replaced. Power switches also fail. Both are available and not too difficult to replace...and the switch can be disassembled and repaired better than new if you're up to it.

Plan B is to go to TexElec and order the RGBtoHDMI – 6-bit TTL Edition converter. It's freakin' awesome. Now you can hook your EX up to any monitor/TV with HDMI input and have a razor sharp image.
And before someone mentions it...no, I have never detected the slightest amount of lag while using it.
Also, if you have a VGA monitor kicking around, you can use it with a HDMI to VGA converter which is about $3 on eBay.
Personally, I prefer and use the CGA CRT monitor. I've done the flyback, HOT and switch, but know it still won't last forever, and the well of low hour good CRT monitors is running dry.

I should also mention that your EX has a composite output but it looks like absolute crap.
Thank so much Torch! I really appreciate you giving me all the options. I was wondering if there was a converter I could buy. Looks like my options are limited on an actual CM-5 like I used to have.
Thanks again!

Hi Torch, on your last option, I would still need a converter correct? Or would I just need a 9pin to 15pin converter. Before I purchase a Tandy monitor I want to make sure the one I bought is working as the seller says. I have have until Jan 5th to send it back. So, before I spend the money I just want to make sure the the DOS boot disk is working.
Thanks again, and sorry to bother once again.

You may want search for the Tandy Plus+ adapter (riser) which would increase your options with regards to a monitor. I've seen them on eBay for $15 or less and there may be a forum member who could help out on that.

You may want search for the Tandy Plus+ adapter (riser) which would increase your options with regards to a monitor. I've seen them on eBay for $15 or less and there may be a forum member who could help out on that.

I have a VGA card in my hacked-beyond-recognition 1000HX and it works fine, so in theory, yeah, that would be another option for an EX. That said, I think the majority of people using these machines want to retain compatibility with the Tandy-specific video modes. (I use my machine mostly for generalized oldskool DOS hackery, not games.)

Thanks so much for your response, much appreciated.

Hi Torch, on your last option, I would still need a converter correct? Or would I just need a 9pin to 15pin converter. Before I purchase a Tandy monitor I want to make sure the one I bought is working as the seller says. I have have until Jan 5th to send it back. So, before I spend the money I just want to make sure the the DOS boot disk is working.
Thanks again, and sorry to bother once again.

Do you mean the composite output? If so, it's just an RCA jack on the back of the EX. Any old video cable will do, just plug it into the composite jack and attach it to the composite input jack on your TV (usually yellow).
It looks horrible but you'll still be able to test things out.

If you mean using the RGB to HDMI converter on a VGA monitor, you would need that converter plus the inexpensive adapter to convert the HDMI to VGA.
There are also RGB to VGA converters but I've not used one, it made more sense for me to go HDMI and then just add a $3 adapter for when I wanted to use a VGA input.

Do you mean the composite output? If so, it's just an RCA jack on the back of the EX. Any old video cable will do, just plug it into the composite jack and attach it to the composite input jack on your TV (usually yellow).
It looks horrible but you'll still be able to test things out.

If you mean using the RGB to HDMI converter on a VGA monitor, you would need that converter plus the inexpensive adapter to convert the HDMI to VGA.
There are also RGB to VGA converters but I've not used one, it made more sense for me to go HDMI and then just add a $3 adapter for when I wanted to use a VGA input.
Thank you once again for your reply. Looking forward to getting my EX. Still kicking myself for selling it back in the day. I ended up buying a Packard Bell back then and sold the EX with all the extra's I purchased through the years. External 3.5 drive, dot matrix printer, and a crap ton of games. Had I known back then.
Take care

Thank you once again for your reply. Looking forward to getting my EX. Still kicking myself for selling it back in the day. I ended up buying a Packard Bell back then and sold the EX with all the extra's I purchased through the years. External 3.5 drive, dot matrix printer, and a crap ton of games. Had I known back then.
Take care

I did the same thing. My first computer was a Model III that my uncle gave me in '82. Fortunately I never got rid of it as it's far more fun today than it ever was.
When I was 16 I got my first real job and bought a new 1000EX. I was finally able to take advantage of all the local BBSs...80 column, color and endless amounts of downloads. Had all the extra too like both 5.25 and 3.5 external drives, Plus expansion card, serial card etc.
After a few years, I wanted a hard drive and RS never offered one for the EX. I found a company that sold one, but the price was beyond insane. I ended up selling the EX and bought a 1000SL and a 32MB hardcard. For some reason I never really cared much for the SL and regretted getting rid of the EX. Hard to explain other than the EX had some kind of charisma to it that all computers since then have lacked.

About a year ago I picked one up on eBay with the Plus board, full 640K and 300 baud internal modem. Also came in the original box with manuals and original disks. I don't think it was ever used for more than a few hours as it looked brand new, no dust inside and not a hint of yellowing.

First thing I did was order the Plus to ISA adapters. I installed an XTIDE and got the HD I always wanted back in the day, but instead of 32MB it's now 2,000MB :) Next a 2 port serial card with 9 and 25 pin connectors.
Lastly is the wifi modem to hit the endless amounts of BBS systems out there today. I even use the exact same copy of Telix I did back in the 80s. It's recaptured the magic of 35 years ago and then some.
Also got a V20 and just a few weeks ago I scored a nice 3.5" external drive with cable on eBay for a killer price.

If you liked yours back in the day, you're going to really like what you can do with it today.

Hello Agent Orange, thank you for your reply.
I did the same thing. My first computer was a Model III that my uncle gave me in '82. Fortunately I never got rid of it as it's far more fun today than it ever was.
When I was 16 I got my first real job and bought a new 1000EX. I was finally able to take advantage of all the local BBSs...80 column, color and endless amounts of downloads. Had all the extra too like both 5.25 and 3.5 external drives, Plus expansion card, serial card etc.
After a few years, I wanted a hard drive and RS never offered one for the EX. I found a company that sold one, but the price was beyond insane. I ended up selling the EX and bought a 1000SL and a 32MB hardcard. For some reason I never really cared much for the SL and regretted getting rid of the EX. Hard to explain other than the EX had some kind of charisma to it that all computers since then have lacked.

About a year ago I picked one up on eBay with the Plus board, full 640K and 300 baud internal modem. Also came in the original box with manuals and original disks. I don't think it was ever used for more than a few hours as it looked brand new, no dust inside and not a hint of yellowing.

First thing I did was order the Plus to ISA adapters. I installed an XTIDE and got the HD I always wanted back in the day, but instead of 32MB it's now 2,000MB :) Next a 2 port serial card with 9 and 25 pin connectors.
Lastly is the wifi modem to hit the endless amounts of BBS systems out there today. I even use the exact same copy of Telix I did back in the 80s. It's recaptured the magic of 35 years ago and then some.
Also got a V20 and just a few weeks ago I scored a nice 3.5" external drive with cable on eBay for a killer price.

If you liked yours back in the day, you're going to really like what you can do with it today.
Wow that's awesome you can get your hands on all those awesome computers. Thanks to my 1000ex, I went back to college and got a computer science degree. It was in Cobal and Honeywell JCL however it led to where I am now. Working in cybersecurity for the Navy here in Maine. So happy I came across what you have. I can't wait to get recieve everything. Thanks to MS-DOS, I gravited to Unix, and now Linux haha. Love working from the command line.

My 1000EX story is that back in 2019 I snagged a bare unexpanded one as part of a $100 haul including an old Mac and an ImageWriter printer. One look at what the original memory expansion board cost on eBay inspired me to get off my rear end and finally try DIYing electronics from scratch and… yeah, a year later I ended up with this:

Good times.

My 1000EX story is that back in 2019 I snagged a bare unexpanded one as part of a $100 haul including an old Mac and an ImageWriter printer. One look at what the original memory expansion board cost on eBay inspired me to get off my rear end and finally try DIYing electronics from scratch and… yeah, a year later I ended up with this:

Good times.
Nice!

I also have a Tandy 1000EX and needed a monitor, so I decided to come up with a somewhat period correct and far worse alternative than using an RGB2HDMI converter =). I picked up an arcade monitor (LCD in this case, so not quite period correct) that supports 15kHz, and then built a small circuit to convert the digital RGB signal to something the arcade display would be happy with.

1670223346805.png1670223362895.png

It is conceptually similar to some of the other RGB to analog methods floating around out there, I've attached a schematic in case anyone wants to have a look. It's just 2 n-channel FET's to adjust dark yellow down to brown, 6 Schottky diodes and 8 resistors. I used 2k pots to adjust the 5v TTL signals down to 1v (the schematic doesn't show this correctly due to laziness), and to adjust the pull-down for the intensity signal. The other resistors were somewhere in the 10-30 ohm range.

As I understand it the correct way to produce brown is to watch for the RGBI bit pattern to be 1100, and to attenuate the green signal accordingly to get the color you want. I couldn't work out a way to do this without components requiring external power, so I cheated and cobbled together an OR gate with FETs driven by the blue and intensity signals. The FETs steal power for the drain from the red and green signals via diodes and a resistor, and are not being used properly as the source is connected to the "load" (green pull-down) and a resistor to ground. This effectively pulls down green unless blue or intensity are on, so it also affects low-intensity green. I actually like the way this looks as it's less washed out, so it turned out to be a "feature". It's not perfect as green is always going to be pulled down a little bit, but it looks OK when playing Kings Quest!

Attachments

• RGB_TTL.pdf
    20.1 KB · Views: 2
I picked up an arcade monitor (LCD in this case, so not quite period correct) that supports 15kHz

Out of curiosity, where did you find that? I bought a cheap LCD/scaler board a few years ago hoping that it might accept 15kHz as an undocumented feature (since it also had composite input), but was disappointed after experimenting and digging up the datasheet that the stated lower limit of the RGB input was hard set at VGA frequencies.

I believe this is what I bought, it was a while back:

I'm using the 9-pin header input, not the DE15 input.

Back