Nicknames: T1000, Tandy usually though

SPECIFICATIONS
CASE: Tandy 1000 proprietary
PSU: 65 WATT Tandy 1000 PSU, Proprietary
MOBO: Tandy 1000A System Board, includes DMA & 8087 Support
CPU: Intel 8088 @ 4.77 MHz
NPU: not present
Floppy: 1X 360K DSDD 5.25" TEAC on on-board Tandy controller
HDD: 540MB Seagate with DDO on XT-IDE V1 8-bit IDE controller (with early XT-IDE BIOS)
GFX: Tandy TGA Video (Superset of CGA), on-board, uses composite
SND: 3 voice Tandy
NET: Intel Etherexpress 16

Noted Mods: Disabled the internal speaker to prevent the computer from outputting sound from anything but the television it plugs into. Built a custom hard drive mount using a 5.25" to 3.5" drive bay adapter, the wire-mesh grill off an unused slot cover from my main desktops Antec 300 case, and a home built HDD LED light assembly. It's like a modernized version of the old Seagate MFM HDD Front panels, and fits the look of the Tandy Perfectly.

PERIPHERALS
Keyboard: Tandy 1000
Mouse: none
Monitor: 1984 Mitsubishi CS1984R Woodgrain Console TV

OPERATING SYSTEM: MS-DOS 6.22 + Tandy Enhancements (through setver & modification)

Primary Usage: DOS Games from 1981-1990, especially Sierra games using the AGI like Kings Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, and Space Quest (many of which I have in the original BOX!).

MY TIDBITS

I bought this computer from Value Village on a whim along with an Acer 386 during the summer of 2005. I remember being rather bugged because I just built a IBM XT clone with boards from a user here and now I had access to a functional 8088 XT class machine on the cheap locally.

The machine was dead mint with the only visible additon being a Tandy 1000 memory upgrade to 640K. Eventually I did a "stealth" mod by hiding a SCSI HDD wrapped in cardboard in the space between the floppies and hte power supply, making it appear as a stock dual floppy machine, but revealing upon boot that it indeed was a full-blown HDD equipped machine.

With my move to the Man Cave, it became more like a DOS gaming "console", being permanently attached via RCA to my old Mitsubishi TV, which has surprisingly good dot pitch and I'm quite comfortable editing text on.

This fall, the SCSI HDD gave up the ghost, and this machine was consolidated with the XT-IDE controller and a spare 540MB Seagate EIDE HDD from CNXTII to create what it is now. One floppy was pulled as a backup, and the HDD mounted in a custom made drive bay adapter with LED to make the HDD look in place from the front of the Tandy using parts from modern PC cases.

Currently, the machine runs 24/7 under my TV with the 8-bit NES, DVD player, Atari 2600, and Inteliivision and sees frequent use for Ultima I-V and Sierra AGI Games. Sometimes I'll hit VCF on Slashnet with it too via LeetIRC.

Back