• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

3032 not reading sd2pet (or disk drive)

Bagpuss

Hi so my pet is up and running now (3016 upgraded to a 3032 with basic 4.0)
I've just plugged in an sd2 pet from tfw8b.
What I get when trying to do a load"WEDGE",8,1 is a file not found error. Running directory reports as if there are no filles. Trying a load"*",8 gives the file not found error.
The SD card is fine (pre installed by tfw8b and reads fine on my laptop)
I was wondering if there is a basic first steps trouble shooting.

I'm not sure if it's a case that basic DIRECTORY normally returns blank on error or what I should expect.

For a bit of pet history it was a 3016 upgraded to a 3032.
I have tried swapping out the 6522 with another but couldn't 100pct vouch it was good as I can't test it.

There is a PET IEEE488 test program in a book that has been identified in a recent thread.

Try typing that in and running it with nothing connected to the IEEE488 port first.

The IEEE488 buffers have a fairly high failure rate...

Dave

Most basic thing to try first is cleaning the edge connector on the pet. I had same issue with my 3032, and 8032, and cleaning the connector got it working on both.

http://primrosebank.net/computers/pet/documents/PET_and_the_IEEE488_Bus_text.pdf

The testing Appendix starts at page 181 of the book and the code is on page 184.

The book is worth a good read as well! I even have the paper copy - with notes!

Dave
Amazon even has a couple of copies at a decent price

It's usually fairly easy to swap the two 6520 chips. One is for the IEEE port and the other handles the keyboard and cassette.
If the keyboard stops working when you swap 'em, you probably have a bad 6520.
Replacements are available new. The WDC W65C21N6TPG-14 is drop in compatible.

Thanks. The edge connector is nice an clean so I'll have a hunt for the test program next :)
The underside too?

Hi, so story so far a 6522 was definitely bad so swapped out that one with a WC6522N
6520 is suspect as the basic diagnostic code showed the ATN etc are failing test. Tried a w65c21S, definitely didn't work seemed to be injecting P character Infront of every character I typed so I guess it's next to order a W65c21N.
I swapped over to a romulator whilst doing this to eliminate chances of ROM RAm issues at the same time.

So my next escapade. I replaced the w65c21S with a W65c21N. Still gives a capital P on every keyboard press (as before when it starts up a P appears as well) really weird issue. Stumped if I know how to diagnose this. I assume it's causing some interaction with the keyboard via with causing the machine to think the via is transmitting or stimulating the via to think there is a keyless coming in.

Yep ran with pet tester , it's showing P key i.e $50 on byte 4(ish).
So further wierdness. If I disconnect the keyboard pet tester gives all 0's. If I just plug in the keybaord PCB, i.e no keys it gives $50 for a P key as if they key is pressed. On reassembly if I hold L and Runstop then the P key registers as not pressed.
Unless I'm missing something with they keyboard it's just press buttons so I'm going to across all they keys with a continuity tester in case there is say some residue shorting out the P key (I did clean off the contacts earlier).

It started when I swapped out the 6520 on c7 with a w65s21s but swapping back to the 6502 it was fine. Swapping out to a ws65c21N it carried on doing the P, swapping back to the original 6520 the P remained.
Continuity test in the keyboard first as that is the easy one to do.

Yep that's what I thought. There seems to be no continuity on the P contacts when sign a multi meter in the key or though pins E&4 on the keyboard connector. Got me flummoxed so I'm going to stop and try testing again as logically it must be the keyboard shorting and generating the signal.

Hi, so story so far a 6522 was definitely bad so swapped out that one with a WC6522N
6520 is suspect as the basic diagnostic code showed the ATN etc are failing test. Tried a w65c21S, definitely didn't work seemed to be injecting P character Infront of every character I typed so I guess it's next to order a W65c21N.
I swapped over to a romulator whilst doing this to eliminate chances of ROM RAm issues at the same time.
ATN will fail with the IEEE Test Program if you are running BASIC 2.

You can try and run BASIC 4 with the Romulator to confirm the 'ATN Bad' test resolves.

I would definitely go back and look at how clean the contacts are and if there is corrosion where the external connector mates with the PCB. Sometimes it works to pull the drive out a bit so it mates with clean areas on the PCB connector.

Update on progress.
I had a fleck of conductive paint causing the P key to hold. Cleaned that up.
Was running fine and with SD card loading software for about 3 hrs, then had some odd faults which I thought was just a game bug.
Initially characters were coming out random when I typed (many keys not responding).
Now on boot I get just a black screen with BASIC. With PET tester it's fine (I have to check key to onscreen code mapping though).
Not sure if it's blown a brand new PIA or VIA? Or as simple as a socket fault.

Back