• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

32 bit FreeBSD doesn't support 386????

neutrino78x

Experienced Member
http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/i386.html

FreeBSD said:
FreeBSD 6.0 and newer no longer supports the original Intel 80386 CPU; these computers are over seven years old and are only supported by FreeBSD 5.X and earlier.

Argh!!! Come on, guys!!! If it is 32 bit software there is no reason the 386 wouldn't be able to run it. Now, if you're moving to 64 bit Intel, I could understand requiring a Core 2 Duo. But 32 bit??? argh.

--Brian

NPTL is not supported on 386 (read this)
Most linux distro dropped support for 386

i386 linux distro, needs an i486 or above :confused:

http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/i386.html

Argh!!! Come on, guys!!! If it is 32 bit software there is no reason the 386 wouldn't be able to run it. Now, if you're moving to 64 bit Intel, I could understand requiring a Core 2 Duo. But 32 bit??? argh.

They are taking advantage of instructions introduced in the 486 and Pentium and later, BSWAP most notably, to speed up critical things inside the kernel.

If you really have a 386, you don't have enough RAM to run FreeBSD 5.x, 4.x, or possibly 3.x if you have less than 8MB. The best version of FreeBSD to run on a 386 is 2.2.9, which is also the last version that runs in 4MB IIRC. You can get a copy from ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/misc/FreeBSD_2.2.9.tar.gz if you can't find it anywhere else.

Another option is to install gentoo on a modern machine and then compile your own version that runs on 386s. A third option is to look into projects like Linux From Scratch where you make your own distro.

Well, I am glad you posted this. Has been a long time since I got disgusted with FreeBSD. I have a much, much faster internet connection these days so all those tar balls in the ports collection will be more enjoyable. Was painful in 24.0 Baud dialup land. So, I have my 3 64bit FreeBSD 7.1 CDs all lined up. 64 bit is weird, CD2 and CD3 look like they will be empty label only CDs. Must be so the installation program doesn't have work hard.

I got to wondering if there might also be a NetBSD version that runs on a barefoot 386, but the NetBSD site isn't responding.

Anyone know what's going on?

Edit: They're back online.

Yes indeedy, NetBSD runs on a 386 with or without the NDP chip. It also works on some PS/2 MCA models as well as Xbox.

Last edited:
Back