• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

5.25" drive repair help

mvno_subscriber

Experienced Member
Hi,

one of the floppy drives of a system I recently got hold of made this "tac tac tac" noise while the disk was in and spinning. I identified the culprit being a ring of some sort between the big white thing that pushes the disk down so it starts spinning when you close the drive (sorry, I have no idea what that part is called), and a spring.

I had a look on the other floppy drive, and it didn't have that ring. I have no idea if it was an original repair to fix a spring that wasn't stiff enough or something, but it's making a lot of noise because the spring is "popping" off the ring (see, the ring isn't whole, it's only partial).

Now in order to fix this I would need to disassemble it, but I have no idea how to take it apart. Can anybody help me here? I've attached an image hopefully showing my issue..

Since I'm not a native English speaker, especially names of mechanical parts are not part of my vocabulary. Sorry :(

The drive is otherwise working just fine, but the noise makes it hurt every time I use it.

disk_drive_screw.jpg

I've always slipped them off by inserting a small flat-blade screwdriver between the shaft and the small recesses at the back of the ring and twisting or prying slightly--always works with a minimum of damage and ccussing.

316S2k1MF6L.jpg

FWIW, the ring itself rides in a groove in the shaft. You can just as easily slip it back on by starting it off in the groove and then squeeze it home using a pair of pliers; one jaw on the shaft and the other on the back of the ring. At some point, it will "snap" home.

Thanks! :) I'll try that as soon as I get time this evening.

MikeS: It's a Qume drive, double density as far as I know. Not sure about the model number, as seen the serial # is 110208. Here's a picture of the board:

2017-02-24 20.41.00.jpg

Chuck(G): A bit unrelated perhaps, but how do you make the attached images bigger so that you don't need to click on them to see them? As you did with the picture of the retaining ring.

Back