• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

5150 Cassette questions

I wish someone actually had the drive to make a unique IBM PC cassette game some day that works with the minimum 16KB configuration.

Well, the cassette interface is the only removable storage method available in the ROM BASIC, right? So it would have to be a 16K BASIC program. A game is feasible but probably not too fun... but, is there a way to use BASIC to load a 15.5K COM instead? Because that would be your best bet at something halfway fun/decent to play...

4. [not cassette related] I read somewhere that early DOS had support for 250k 8" disk drives built in but no manufacturer ever supported the feature. Is this true?

Depends on what you mean by "support". Did it include DPBs for SSSD 8" (A1 format) floppies? Yes, it did. Was there any BIOS support for those? No, not at all.

Uh, Chuck, this thread has been dormant for 4 years ...

I have seen MS-DOS on 8" disks, for machines like the Zenith Z-100 and Xerox 8/16, but not for the IBM-PC.

The pinout of the cassette is the same as the TRS-80 cable. You might be able to get one from RadioShack.

--T

Radio Shack is getting rid of their small parts bins. I wan informed about this a few months ago. So, getting the components from Radio Shack is going to be problematic. Some stores, at least thos in the Las Vegas area have already done away with their small parts supplies. Others are selliing what they have and just not ordering any more. Connectors, resistors, IC chips, capacitors; the entire line will be discontinued by the end of the year. So where does one go to find these items now? It is kind of funny to me, because when I worked at Radio Shack back in the late 70's, small parts made up a pretty good percentage of their sales.

I found a couple electronic parts stores in Vegas, and they have a lot more than Radio Shack ever offered.

And, since I really don't have the dexterity to build the cassette interface cables easily, I met someone on the web. You can see the results here: (Posted in the Hardware forums a few days ago.) Hope it helps.

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?27366-IBM-5150-TRS80-cassette-cables

I just spotted an original IBM diagnostic cassette on E-Bay. I personally don't want it, but it seems that there are a few here who would find it interesting. If anyone is interested, you can find it here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-198...001?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6b60a131

On a side note; I'll be connecting my cassette recorder today after installing a couple expansion cards I got. Just researching the installation process right now.

Chuck,

I don't think that anybody has claimed that. The diagnostics cassette is usually noted as the only example of IBM software provided on cassette *IN ANY* form.

Mike

Chuck,

I don't think that anybody has claimed that. The diagnostics cassette is usually noted as the only example of IBM software provided on cassette *IN ANY* form.

Mike
Why "*IN ANY* form"? If it's provided on cassette, what other form could it be in other than "cassette form"?

Chuck,

Mike

That would be a most desirable item for a 5150 collector. I guess it's worth a lot of money now so it's probably out of reach of many people.

Back