• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A slight error on the web site

christssoldiers

I noticed that the website says the Apple //c is lhas an internal 3.5 floppy. In actuality it has an internal 5.25. Just thought I would mention it.

I was lucky enough to find a complete and fully working Apple //c just yesterday that someone was actually trying throw away! It is complete with all the original boxes and packaging including the styrofoam with the embossed "apple" symbol. The software and manuals were all there and even an old epson printer complete and working.

Thanks for the edit! I'll make the fix next time I do a site update!

Congrats on the great rescue! That's quite a find!

Erik

Re: A slight error on the web site

christssoldiers said:
I was lucky enough to find a complete and fully working Apple //c just yesterday that someone was actually trying throw away! It is complete with all the original boxes and packaging including the styrofoam with the embossed "apple" symbol. The software and manuals were all there and even an old epson printer complete and working.

What kind of a sicko would throw away such a perfect computer? I mean, I know guys right now who do their writing on an 800XL because the keyboard feels better to them, and the Apple IIc has the best keyboard ever!

Oh, wait, I forgot some people have trouble with computers that start up in "no-pictures mode".

Anyway, congrats on your find. I hope you put it to good use.

ravuya said:
What kind of a sicko would throw away such a perfect computer? I mean, I know guys right now who do their writing on an 800XL because the keyboard feels better to them, and the Apple IIc has the best keyboard ever!

I agree that it takes a complete nut-job to throw away nice gear like that!

I disagre with the part about the keyboard. Everyone knows that the best keyboard ever built was the IBM PS/2 keyboard introduced in about 1984. It set the standard for keyboards (both layout and tactile feel) and has never been matched. I personally have about 7 or 8 working examples and I install them on any machine I get that will take them. I use them on my VT520 for dumb-terminal duties and on all of my PCs both at home and at work. . .

The Apple keyboard is nice, if a bit mushy, but the PS/2 keyboard (AKA the model M) is king! :D

Erik

and in other news,
While at the thrift store today looking for some 5.25 floppies and possible some nice additions for my new piece of fruit I found (drum roll please) A Apple IIgs with expansion RAM modual, extra 5.25 floppy drive, extra 3.5 floppy drive, keyboard, two keyboard cords, a monitor cord, and a handfull of other cords. I plug it all in over at the test area and it powers up fine and makes two quick beeps. No doubt saying "umm...I like, need a disk please!" but both floppies illiminate when directly connected to the base but not when daisy chained. You can daisy chain them cant you? Total cost for the lot, $10.97USD including sales tax. No monitor or 5.25 floppies though.

Now before you think I have some amazing luck, I do have bad news. I tried to hook up the IIgs to my IIc monitor and it powered on OK with the "can't boot proDOS" or whatever so I popped in my "APPLE IIc "Get down to BASIC" disk... AND IT COOKED IT! my disk is completely ruined ;^(
Oh well, win some...

I wish to throw away MY Apple //c. Of course, it was a source of major aggrivation and it's broken. I can buy another one for cheaper than it would cost to fix, even if I can fix it! lol.

Ah, I'll just keep it for parts but it is in bad bad shape. And the green monitor! Puke!!!

christssoldiers said:
I noticed that the website says the Apple //c is lhas an internal 3.5 floppy. In actuality it has an internal 5.25. Just thought I would mention it.

Apple did make another model called the //C+ that had an internal 3.5 as well as some other differences. I don't remember what the differences are but there is some difference in the keyboard. The keyboard is not interchangable with the //C for some reason. (My friend has a couple of the plus models, neither of which is working. He also has quite a stack of the regular //Cs, but when we went to try to cannibalize parts from them to fix the plusses we ran into all sorts of differences.)

--T

"Terry Yager" wrote:

>> I noticed that the website says the Apple
>> //c is lhas an internal 3.5 floppy. In
>> actuality it has an internal 5.25. Just
>> thought I would mention it.

> Apple did make another model called the
> //C+ that had an internal 3.5 as well as
> some other differences.

That seems strange that Apple made an
Apple //C+ with a internal 3.5" drive. I've
never seen an //C+, however I do know
for a fact that you could get a 3.5"
external Disk drive for the //C & that it
came with a 5.25" drive built in (one reason
I liked this machine more than a //e).

The newer //e's I played with (which had
the 128k as standard I think) also used
external 5.25" disk drive. But yeah, I liked
the //c for the 128k of RAM & built in disk
drive. Think the only thing it lacked was
a colour monitor! :)

Cheers,
CP/M User.

"Terry Yager" wrote:

>> I've never seen an //C+,

> Heres a pretty good side view, showing
> the drive opening:

Certainally explains why I've never seen
one, there as rare as! :)

<snip!>

Check out the picture with the LCD on it!
:)

I also see that the 3.5" disk drive is
virtually the same as the Macs (no way of
manually taking out the disk, unless you
stick the bit of metal in that small hole to
get the disk out), I never did understand
that! :)

Cheers,
CP/M User.

The saddest part is that I haven't yet updated the site to include this corrected information! :(

Kids and work make life VERY busy.

On the bright side, I'm technically a docent for the Computer History Museum so at least I'm getting something done! :)

Erik

"Erik" wrote:

> The saddest part is that I haven't yet
> updated the site to include this
> corrected information! :(

> Kids and work make life VERY busy.

> On the bright side, I'm technically a
> docent for the Computer History
> Museum so at least I'm getting
> "something" done! :)

At least you show you can do something
with those elements around you, I have
no kids, no wife, work voluntry for a
couple of days & still 'am busy as
buggery! ;-)

It's a kind of a joke! ;-)

Cheers,
CP/M User.

P.S. Kids & wife stuff is on hold for the
moment! ;-)

CP/M User said:
Check out the picture with the LCD on it!
:)

Cheers,
CP/M User.

Yeah, I saw that too. Interesting. Too bad the webpage didn't have more info on it, I doubt I'll ever see one in real life.

--T

"Terry Yager" wrote:

>> Check out the picture with the LCD on it!
>> :)

> Yeah, I saw that too. Interesting. Too bad
> the webpage didn't have more info on it, I
> doubt I'll ever see one in real life.

I would have imagined that LCD would have
been worth a bit of money in it's day, for
something that size.

I also see that your site stated it supports 16
colours, however I didn't think a colour
monitor was available for the //c or //c+,
unless of course it's speaking of 16 shades
of green.

Anybody know if the colour monitor for the
//e worked on a //c (cause I've only
seen the little green one (around 9")?

Cheers,
CP/M User.

CP/M User said:
I also see that your site stated it supports 16
colours, however I didn't think a colour
monitor was available for the //c or //c+,
unless of course it's speaking of 16 shades
of green.

Anybody know if the colour monitor for the
//e worked on a //c (cause I've only
seen the little green one (around 9")?

Cheers,
CP/M User.

I seem to remember them having a composite (color or B/W) video output, so they could use any composite color monitor. On the same note, didn't the Laser 128 (Apple //C clone) have an RGB color monitor output? Anyone remember?

--T

Back