• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Adding a DLV11J to an 11/73

leegleason

Experienced Member
I have an 11/73 that I need to add a DLV11J to . I usually use SYSGEN CONFIGURE on a VAX to figure out what addresses and vectors to use for hardware changes. DLV11J (or any variant) doesn't seem to be a device I can specify in CONFIGURE. I tried speccing it as 4 separate single unit DL11s, but the address of the first one winds up as 175610. DL11J's have to have bits 3 and 4 of the base CSR address configured as 0, so that those bits can be used to index to a particular CSR pair for a specific port. 175610 is a problem since bit 3 is set to 1. So, anyone know how to use CONFIGURE to add a DLV11J, or do I have a future that includes rereading Alan Frisbie's article and some hand work?

Jumpers configure the base address (bits A12-A5) of the module. Bits A4-A3 - device (or channel) selection. The default base address (jumpers) is 176500.
Device 0 cannot have address 176510, only 176500. 176510 is device 1, 176520 is device 2, and 176530 is device 3.
There is an exception - device (or channel) 3 can be configured separately to address 177560 - console address.

Jumpers configure the base address (bits A12-A5) of the module. Bits A4-A3 - device (or channel) selection. The default base address (jumpers) is 176500.
Device 0 cannot have address 176510, only 176500. 176510 is device 1, 176520 is device 2, and 176530 is device 3.
There is an exception - device (or channel) 3 can be configured separately to address 177560 - console address.
Thanks for the reply. Yah, I 'm hip to all that - I have a copy of the DLV11J manual I've been poring over. My question really is more concerned with the CSR and vector for the DLV11J AND all the other CSRs and vectors for the existing cards in the system, so that they'll all be arranged for RSX autoconfigure to be happy with them. VMS SYSGEN CONFIGURE is what usually gets used for that, but it doesn't seem to know about DLV11Js, or 4 port DLs of any type. My best guess so far is that I should configure the DLV at its default address and vector, and move the couple other conflicting vectors up to avoid it. Still wondering why SYSGEN doesn't support it - did the DLV11J come along late in the game?

If I understand it correctly and presuming that your 11/73 is running, then it has some device that is already has a console at 177560. Depending on the device there may be one or more serial ports presenting. The DLV11J (or some variant) has been around for a long time. Each of the 4 serial ports look like separate devices to most OS'es.

When adding a DLV11J then you might want to start with Configuration No 2 on page 464 in LSI-11_Systems_Service_Manual_Aug81.pdf. If you want to check for CSR address conflicts and can get to an ODT prompt, then you can manually scan the address range you want to use. Note that ODT requires 22 bit addresses. Just look for any registers startng at 17776500 for conflicts.

Older documentation sometimes had a table for Floating Address and Vector formula calculations that you can use to assign devices from 17760010 to 17764000. It is a manual process. However most of these are for more complex controllers devices.

As far as the support in VMS for (the diverse universe of) DLxx devices, i don't have much experience. VAX consoles are different beasts to start with. Most impmentations used more complex controllers or methods for additional terminal or serial access.

Jerry

RSX autoconfiguration - I don't know about that. There is a utility (AСF) that is used by SYSGEN, but it does not autoconfigure the system itself - its results may be used by SYSGEN and it has a feature - it can find DLs if their addresses start from address 176500 and go in a continuous block. And it finds far from all devices.

I have never done this on a VAX, but RSX SYSGEN AUTOCONFIGURE knows about DLV11-Js from what I remember...

Dave

Back