• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

After the Class of '86

Class of '96 for HS / Class of 2000 for Penn State..

I am also SET on getting my son involved in this as well as both a learning experience as well as a father-son hobby we can enjoy. I really want him to see where things came from to get a better appreciation for what is out there today and how much easier it is to work with compared to what we had as youngsters (some of us had ever harder stuff depending on age)..

But as for the retro thing, I work in IT and talk to a lot of the "Class of 86 folks" and see what you mean as they tend to have MUCH more stuff, but are also the ones that are telling me to "come over and take what you want". The younger vintage computer people I talk to are the ones that want to hang onto and grow what they have...

Class of '05 from the local high school.

Been using 80386's since '94 and it grew from there.
I'm A Micro-Electronics Engineerseeing how they done it in the past is one of my drives for knowledge.

Class of 2014 -- Second youngest here. Hate gaming, hate "home computers" (sorry guys!), I've always been partial to bigger, faster, older computers. If it can run a *NIX, I'm in. I have been messing around in emulators for ages, but recently got a great paying job (at least for a high-school student) and have had the cash to throw at real hardware. Now my collection is expanding and spreads from the 70's to the 90's and across 2 benches in my basement.

This is a guess your age thread lol. Class of 98 for me but was working on computers for many years prior to that and had an interest in them since one arrived in our house at age 5. Responding to the OP yes, we have quite a pleasant spread of age and personal experience here which has always been an encouraging sign. BTW a lot of the folks with 70s gear hang out on classiccmp.org cctech/cctalk mailing lists. Lots of PDPs around. Many are also members here and other forums as well of course. Dang, was going to repost someones pictures of their garage with the rasied flooring and huge (very nice!) server/rack setup, but I can't recall who it was (thought it was Pontus). ooh (wow.. buried in an OT thread as usual) and hope he doesn't mind. Pontus' super computer room.

Last edited:
I don't mind at all :) The room is closed to finished now. I direct you to the story of a recent haul for some pictures of it's current state:

http://www.update.uu.se/~pontus/sthlm_haul.shtml

I'm working on a write-up of the whole floor-ordeal :)

Back to topic: I'm much like barythrin, class of '98 but used computers since my father brought home the VIC-20. Current collection spans from 1973 (the PDP-8/e) to 2002 (SGI Fuel and AlphaServer ES45).

Regarding the stuff predating 1960, there is some stuff out there, a fellow on cctalk is trying to get and restore a Vacuum tube based machine.

I don't mind at all :) The room is closed to finished now. I direct you to the story of a recent haul for some pictures of its current state:

http://www.update.uu.se/~pontus/sthlm_haul.shtml

Fixed that for you (no apostrophe). ;)

It's a shame that I may be among the last generation to remember computer rooms with raised floors (with tiles that rattled as you walked on them) and heavy-duty air conditioning (bring a jacket!)...

Nah, plenty of server rooms still use raised floors. My last job's datacenter had one. Apparently I'm behind on the trend of installing raised floors in my house though. ;-)

Plenty of computer rooms with air conditioning :) However raised floor seems to be falling out of fashion in some places.

Class of '64 - Hi Doug!

Started computing in grad school on PDP-11 and PDP-8; first PC was an Osborne 1, followed by IMSAI and then Godbout S100 gear.

Started collecting micros in 1985 (Byte said it was the "10th anniversary of Personal Computing") with Altairs at $25 to $50 each. ProcTech, Morrow, Cromemco, TDL, WAMECO, etc. Also got some nice 8008 gear - Intellec8, SCELBI, MOD8, Mark 8, etc.

Now getting rid of micros and restocking with minis. Mostly PDP - 8/L, 8/E, 8/A, 8/M; 11/20, 11/35, 11/45, 11/83, Mentec, etc. And some earlier HP - 2116C, 2114C, 2100, 1000.

Jack

Interesting move. You went from an Osborne TO an IMSAI? (flip switch?). What brought about that idea?

Where have all the younger retro-computing people gone? Were they ever "here" at all?

I was in the high school class of '92. We all learned on Apple II+/e and C-64 systems around the fourth or fifth grade. Now we're all approaching 40 and longing for those good ol' days!

Graduated from High school around '76 and University in 1980. In New Zealand of course.

No computers at school...only seen as huge machines in movies and Dr Who shows. Slide rules only, but pocket calculators were just starting to make an appearance towards the end of high school. Took a course in intro computing at Uni. in '79. Punch cards and Fortran. Interesting, but that course didn't hook me on computers maybe because you were so detached from the hardware. I only got hooked when I got my own in 1981.

I do believe your age does make a difference with the emotional attachment you have for aspects of retro-computing. I know for me, by the time the home computers were in full swing I was an adult working at a professional job. My main experience with my personal (home) computer was how it enhanced that job, and other things I did at home like writing. Although I used to enjoy the odd game on my System 80 and did learn the creative joy of programming my experience would have quite different if I'd been 12-13 at the time, blasting bad guys or coding in my bedroom with friends on a Commodore 64. Instead, at that age, my buddies and I were souping up our pushbikes with ape-hangers and banana seats to look like bikers. Later it was cars. My nostalgia to retro-gaming therefore is not as great as with some others on the various forums. I wasn't immersed in that gaming culture in those formative years.

Due to age I also missed the whole "tribal" spectrum vrs c64 and 16-bit Atari vrs Amiga thing. However, I was part of the TRS-80 "tribe" I guess and considered many Apple owners (nearly all who were adults as Apple IIs were far too expensive for kids..and me!) insufferable smug snobs! :)

Tez

Last edited:
your age does make a difference with the emotional attachment you have for aspects of retro-computing. I know for me, by the time the home computers were in full swing I was an adult working at a professional job.

Definitely. When I learned Logo and then BASIC in elementary school, it was the BEST THING EVER because it was fun, it gave my friends and I some self-confidence, and it got us away from the bullies.

considered many Apple owners (nearly all who were adults as Apple IIs were far too expensive for kids..and me!) insufferable smug snobs! :)

Yes. :) Only reason my parents could afford a //e was because my mom worked for the school district. Most of my friends has C-64s at home. But we all had a common background in Atari 2600.

I figured I would be towards the younger end of the spectrum, but glad to see I'm nearer to the middle than I thought. :) I graduated high school in 96, same as few others here. My main interests are rooted around the computers that I was using in the school days. In elementary school it was Apple II's - mainly IIe's I think...though there were a few II+'s I recall, and they actually had some Laser 128 clones. 5th grade there was a IIgs...wow! In middle school there was a lab of IIe's and a lab of IIgs's, the latter having three Mac LC's with IIe cards and 5.25" drives...I always staked a claim at one of the LC's! High school was a lab of LC's for general use. The business department had a lab of some model of earlier Mac's (classics?), the all-in-one units, I think with greyscale screens...I never took a class in that room. I was also one of the last classes to take keyboarding on IBM typewriters! At some point they got in a lab of 486/25 (or 33 or so) clone machines with Windows 3.1. I think before I left they had gotten another lab of something newer, but never was in that room either. When I was in 5th grade (1989), my parents bought a Tandy 1000SL for the family to use.

So...my collection is largely of that era. My main love are Tandy machines, and I've got a good collection of those going. Also got a good variety of Apple II's - II+, IIe, IIc, IIgs...along with Mac LC, LCII, LC475, and few others. I've also been fortunate to acquire an IBM 5150 and a pair of 5160's...got another of those that a friend is holding to give back to me at some point. Those I acquired in a tractor trailer load of old stuff I got at an auction once upon a time...a whole story in itself! I also have a Portable 5155. Also collect any odd old computer that comes my way free or cheap...like a Kaypro II, several C64's, etc. The odd stuff is probably what I like the most...

Wesley

Class of 2014 here. I got started (oddly enough) collecting vintage vacuum cleaners, and moved on to all sorts of antiques. All electrical or mechanical, however. I was fairly specific, only in that regard. Typewriters, fountain pens, cameras, fans, telephones, etc. It was not until around four years ago that I really started collecting (with a SWTPC 6800). My dad had always talked about his IBM PC, but it didn't stay around the house when I was born. The SWTPC 6800 gave me my first introduction to assembly language (what I had previously thought of as a magical, mysterious language now seems so mechanical and understandable thanks to my university classes!) and was my foray into the world of vintage computers. Now I have a couple of Intellecs, an NEC APC, Altair 8800b, Northstar Horizon, Mac Plus, Mac SE, C64, TI 99/4A, Tandy CoCo 2, IBM PC/AT, PC/XT, Compaq Plus, and a few others, with not enough space for most of it...hah!

I enjoy the usability of some of the more modern systems running MS-DOS and System 6/7, but the old front panel machines like the Intellecs and Altairs have always fascinated me. I am trying to focus my collection at this point in my hobby, and I have sworn that the next computer I get will have "PDP" on it. So far, I was unable to pass up two (free) computers that didn't have "PDP" written on them... :)

Kyle

For high school, I'm class of 2008. I should be graduating from my university at the end of this Spring.

I've always been in the C64 camp, but since I scored an IBM PC XT recently, I've been toying around with it instead lately (when I'm not at school, that is). The majority of my old computer experience is limited until a graduate to demonstrating my C64 for friends, and playing games. I have a few professors who enjoy vintage hardware and software discussions, but I only get to visit them on the off chance I have down time.

However, whilst working on a project for my A.I. theory class this week, my classmates & I needed to find a quick text file to process and spit back (its a Markov babbler). After digging around briefly in existing .txt files on my primary coding laptop, I found the transcribed C64 manual, and began processing using that to test mine out. Two friends asked if I could give them a copy to test through their program, which proved amusing to watch as it spat back regular text mixed with BASIC. What made it really fun was having them mention that their projects were coming along fine, and how amusing the output was based on the text I gave them... the professor looked in my direction and just knew exactly where they got it.

I also brought my Hero Jr. robot in about two years ago, and demonstrated it at the local ACM chapter along with some other vintage computers that professors brought out of storage. Last year, a friend of mine pointed out something at a goodwill (which I bought): an early VIC-20 with a tape drive and a handful of games, not to mention an 8k expander cart. That brings me up to 2 VIC's, and now I can read tapes for all my Commodore gear. I also scored a good ol' Sanyo MBC 555 not too long ago, as well as a ruined Mac Classic II (the electrolytic cap's exploded inside). I also somehow ended up with an Intel iSBC 80/10

Mainly, I collect game systems, due to the amount of time I can enjoy them on a regular basis with friends. Atari, NES, Odyssey2, Combat!, Radio Shack Tennis, and plenty of significantly newer systems are the bulk of my collection.

Last edited:
I've always been in the C64 camp,

Me too! But I have been using my C64 since 1985! That was my first home computer when I was 13 and love it to this day! :-D

I am H.S. Class of 1991. I had used an Apple //e in 8th grade to learn logo. In 9th grade typing class (very useful skill to be a touch typist!). In 10th Grade Basic on some IBM PC (can't remember which processor, but you had to put a command to park the hard drive head before turning off). In 11th&12th Turbo Pascal on those IBM PC. Then off to college and got a Mac SE/30.

However, whilst working on a project for my A.I. theory class, my classmates & I needed to find a quick text file to process and spit back (its a Markov babbler). After digging around briefly in existing .txt files on my primary coding laptop, I found the transcribed C64 manual, and began processing using that to test mine out.

That is soooooo cool! Totally Rad! 8)

- Jeff B

While I graduated high school in '88, early enlistment in '86 moved me ahead of the curve slightly, so generally speaking I'm in the 'target group' the OP was referring to.

Really the 'answer' to the demographic, or more specifically why the systems in question have such a strong following is that unlike what came before them, these were the systems that put them in the hands of normal people. NORMAL PEOPLE didn't own Big Iron, and until the late '70's that's the only computers there really were. Even some of the early "hobbyist" machines (S-100, Elf) required a knowledge of electronics that greatly limited the people who could own one, program one, etc, etc...

Likewise the older systems, particularly mainframes had extremely low production runs -- thus increases value -- but always asking the question...

WHERE THE **** AM I GONNA PUT IT?!? -- much less pay for shipping.

Collecting mainframes is a rich man's sport; anyone can grab a '80's microcomputer off e-fence for less than $100 shipped.

Also, you have some stigma attached to 'big iron', particularly amongst the microcomputing crowd -- "Back room server geeks", "college ****'s who know **** about ****", etc, etc... Despite what todays FLOSS-tards run their mouths about, if it wasn't for Linux as a whole *nixisms were DEAD outside of the handful of universities and holdout businesses with their heads stuck up the 1970's backside. It also doesn't help that most of the 'big' systems prior to the late '70's aren't even as powerful as some game consoles; see how the Intellivision is basically a PDP-11.

That's the group that was left behind by the computer revolution of the '80's. NORMAL PEOPLE never had access to it... nor did they want to. Remember making fun of Unix for being needlessly cryptic and uselessly crippled? I sure do. DROSSDOS? How about this gem from the OS/9 manual:

UNIX: An operating system similar to OS-9, but with less functionality and special features designed to soak up excess memory, disk space and CPU time on large, expensive computers.

The REAL computer revolution in terms of normal people even having access to something you could sit down and use was driven by Atari, Commodore, Tandy, Sinclair, IBM, Microsoft, Borland, Lotus, Apple (to a lesser extent around here since I never new ANYONE who owned one and never even saw an Apple II in person until '88 -- admittedly I'm smack dab in the middle of Wayne Green country), even Coleco -- were the first 'computers for the masses', and that's why there's so much nostalgia for them and collectability to them.

At the same time the first generation of home systems still had a certain amount of "you have to be this smart to use them" -- by the time you get to where you could buy a Windows PC at Staples home computers were everywhere and even grandma could use them. That decreases the geek factor, the value, and anything that makes such platforms 'interesting'. You also have the problem said platforms just weren't unique -- while standardization did wonders for getting systems in people's hands, none of the unique platform specific quirks of the 80's systems even existed.

Without the nostalgia factor, uniqueness, and low (relatively speaking) production counts there's no collectability to anything later. It's like comics -- past the silver age they're not worth anything... and even silver age there are only a handful that are actually worth anything. The same can be said of computers -- a NeXT workstation or even a Sun Workstation is going to have more collector value than a Packard Bell P-150... They were DIFFERENT, as opposed to mass produced everybody's sister had one.

Back