• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AIM-65 PL/65

leegleason

Experienced Member
I have an interest in programming in PL/65 on my AIM65. I have the rom images, so I can make PL/65 roms. The PL/65 manual available online seems to be for a 65/40 with a disk. Does anyone have any instructions for programming PL/65 on a plain AIM-65?

I'd definitely be interested in this as well! I was looking for PL/65 material last week and the only things I found were the ROM images, disassembly, and disk version manuals on Rich Cini's site.

These are the same files from Rich Cini's site, including the manual for the disk version of PL/65.

Yep, that's the case alright. I'm starting to wonder if it's possible to run PL/65 without a disk system. And I'm starting to wonder how many people ever used PL/65 - never met anyone that has. Well, I'll post results if I figure it out.

Yep, that's the case alright. I'm starting to wonder if it's possible to run PL/65 without a disk system. And I'm starting to wonder how many people ever used PL/65 - never met anyone that has. Well, I'll post results if I figure it out.
There's quite a bit of text in the ROM images if you open them in a hex editor. Seems pretty complete to me.

I think that the way this PL/65 compiler works is similar to the assembler. You feed in the source code from an input source (cassette, TTY, RAM, disk, etc.) and receive the generated assembly code on an output source (second cassette, TTY, RAM, disk, etc). You then use the AIM-65 assembler ROM to create the object code.

What disk system do you have on your AIM-65? As far as I know, they were intended to have an adapter the the PL/65 bus and use the PL/65 floppy controller.
Dwight

Dwight:

I don't use PL/65. I use PASCAL which is loaded in upper RAM space in an EEPROM.

I was making a suggestion to max out his RAM before exploring PL/65.

Upper RAM is difficult to obtain for the AIM-65. So I worked on a reliable source
for that first.

That's where the Corsham board comes in.

Dick McCoy

Attachments

• AIM_1st_Pascal_02.JPG
    AIM_1st_Pascal_02.JPG
    476.4 KB · Views: 10
Instant PASCAL for the AIM-65 normally requires a total of 5 ROM chips. I believe
the most of any of the typical languages used on the AIM. 4 of those chips must
reside on an external module.

The original solution for this was an external "Rockwell RM-65 16K PROM/ROM Module
installed in an RM 65 card cage and connected to the AIM 65".

PL/65 also required an external solution. All of these solutions are 'scarce'.

So... to get PASCAL or PL/65 running on an AIM-65 requires quite a bit of work.

Dwight:

I don't use PL/65. I use PASCAL which is loaded in upper RAM space in an EEPROM.

I was making a suggestion to max out his RAM before exploring PL/65.

Upper RAM is difficult to obtain for the AIM-65. So I worked on a reliable source
for that first.

That's where the Corsham board comes in.

Dick McCoy
Sorry, I meant RM65 disk controller. I'd think you'd want a disk system.
Dwight

I have a disk system that I got from Dave Colglazier, orgwood. But, I haven't had time to
get it working yet. Do you know where I can find an RM65 disk controller?

I've been working on getting a Heathkit H8 working.

Dick

I have a disk system that I got from Dave Colglazier, orgwood. But, I haven't had time to
get it working yet. Do you know where I can find an RM65 disk controller?

I've been working on getting a Heathkit H8 working.

Dick
They are quite rare. I think Hugo was going to make one.I could be mistaken.
Dwight

Back