• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ancient DOS

To test 86-DOS yourself, you can grab the disk image directly from Archive.org and then follow the instructions provided here to get a working SIMH/AltairZ80 Simulator compatible with the disk image.
Huh? A quick peek says that it's 8086 code, not Z80.
I had a look at the image (looks to be 8" SSSD 77*26*128 byte sectors). I note that there are two FATs, but that directory entries are only 16 bytes long, not 32, as in MSDOS.

Huh? A quick peek says that it's 8086 code, not Z80.

The link therein references a specific simulation module for SIMH for emulating an Altair 8800 in various configurations, including a selection of processor cards including the 8080, Z80, or 8086. For whatever inscrutable reason the author of the module named the binary that launches the emulator, which contains the code for all three processors, “AltairZ80.exe”. So the article isn’t wrong, the world is just confusing.

It's Gene's story (f15sim), but I had a minor contribution. It was a storage locker rescue two or three years ago. I had the honor of driving a 26 foot U-Haul truck on two different trips twice over the Tacoma Narrows bridge here in the Seattle area, and breaking my back with Gene to rescue this stuff.

The important thing is that even years later, Gene is still plugging away sorting, archiving and sharing what was rescued.

Didn't see that, but what interested me when I can across that item was the disk itself and not so much the accompanying article.

Back