• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

And todays newest member is...

matty

Hey guys

Just thought i'd quickly introduce myself. My names Matt, and I'm coming all the way from Perth in Western Australia.

My very first computer experience was with a vic 20 (which I just recently bought :) ) and from there I've owned a c64 which is where I was writing my first programs. Got a taste and boy did I like it!

From there I went to an XT with hercules graphics, then upgraded to a 286. Man the speed increase was unbelievable! After another year or so went to a 386sx40 (beast!!), then jumped up to a 486dx33. I remember those days like it was almost yesterday.

I'm trying to get a collection together but finding it pretty darn hard here in WA. Maybe if any of you guys know any good sources you can let us know?

Cheers :)
Matt

Welcome Matt. :)

There's the VCF marketplace here and I see people offering stuff in regular posts all the time. I notice a number of members are in Australia too, so I'm sure you'll find good sources.

Hi Matt!

Good to see another enthousiastic here!
Your 'history' is very recognizable for me. Have fun here!

(edit: I see you already started :) )

Thanks guys! I'll be sure to keep an eye out in the market section.

I'd love to chase down some XT's and 286's. I remember looking for them ages ago and there where some XT's on ebay for $600USD buy now! Might see if I can get something a little more locally :)

Cheers

Welcome to the forums! Some fun systems you were able to be a part of and see in their heyday. There are a few different auction sites as well, one I know a few folks here frequent is http://www.trademe.co.nz/ although I think it's more New Zealand based but I'd imagine shipping is still better than from the states or other continents. There do seem to be some nice deals across there sometimes though.

Yeah, $600 would be fairly steep so keep looking and I'm sure you'll find them for less. It's (quite unfortunately) all about patience on most pieces, others just seem to inflate as much as I do (tiresome story but the reason I've never had an Altair lol).

Anyway, welcome and enjoy!

My retirement dream is to sail a container ship full of vintage and legacy computers to Oz, make a killing selling them and then sit back and live off of doing repairs on that kind of stuff :)

Back