• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Another collector

Big Blues

Experienced Member
Howdy all, I'm yet another collector. I've been collecting for years, but have never put too much effort into the collection. Now that I see the value of some of the stuff, I wish I did :p.

My first computer was an IBM PCjr back in the day, which I took a programming course for at the age of 9. Ironically I'm still a programmer, and am currently waiting for some unit tests to finish on some code that I'm working on.

On the IBM side of things, I have 2 5150's (one 16-64kb, one 64-256kb), a 5160 that's a work in progress, 5145, PCjr, PS/1 486sx, and I might be able to score my father's old PS/2 55sx. My favourites are the 5150's, both of which I scored for free in the same week 7 years ago. I've since acquired (also for free!) a 5153 monitor, the original PC printer (IBM-branded Epson, I forget model #), an original manuals for the PC (including the infamous Technical Reference that contained the BIOS listing that clone manufacturers used).

Right now I'm shooting for an IBM 5170 to add to the 51-series. I wouldn't mind the 5155 or the 5162 but they're less likely to come along.

I also have a Commodore 64, 128 and PC2-III (I think that's the right model). I had a VIC-20 that I recently gave away and completely made a kids day with. Other computers include Compaq Deskpro 386/20 (with all manuals), generic 486DX4/120-based system (PCI!), P166, Atari 130XE in the box (with printer & drive), a couple TRS-80 based systems, and some other old systems like a 286 (which escape me now).

Actually, the one 286 (which is in storage at my father's), I'd love to fire up. In the early 90's I had it setup as a file-server on my home-brew ARCNet network (running Novell Netware Lite, which someone gave me original copies of). I'm hoping it will fire up, so I can get an old-school network running again (without figuring out all the config/autoexec settings again).

So I guess my current 'goals' would be to get the 5160 up and running (I have the parts, just hasn't been done yet), and to find a 5170 (or just case, I should have parts to build).

I also have a small CPU collection.

Joel (ON, Canada)

Joel, welcome to the forum. Can't have too many Canucks on here :)
You'll probably find, besides the great tips and problem solving abilities of the group that, in most cases, whatever you need to complete a project, SOMEONE has 6 or so that they've been hoarding, umm, I mean holding on to for the right time.

Parts

Parts

Joel, welcome to the forum. Can't have too many Canucks on here :)
You'll probably find, besides the great tips and problem solving abilities of the group that, in most cases, whatever you need to complete a project, SOMEONE has 6 or so that they've been hoarding, umm, I mean holding on to for the right time.

Thanks. I only listed the computers, not all the many parts & pieces I have kicking about too :). Like the 8x mono monitors I don't know what to do with ;) (no, not 5151's).

Joel

Welcome Joel,

I too started out with a PCjr and I am a programmer today as well. (For the same company that sold the PCjr at that ..) I have most of the 51xx series, except for the portable XT and the rarer than rare 5100 and 5110. They are all wonderful machines; beautiful and over engineered, as IBM did things back then.

Mike

Welcome to the forums! I've got a couple of IBM ATs that I need to divest myself of. They are in fairly good shape but I don't have docs or software for them.

Drop me a line if you'd be interested. Either way, enjoy the forums!

AT's

AT's

Welcome to the forums! I've got a couple of IBM ATs that I need to divest myself of. They are in fairly good shape but I don't have docs or software for them.

Drop me a line if you'd be interested. Either way, enjoy the forums!

Hmm, I'm a little scared of the shipping from CA to CA (Canada in the second case).

BTW, got a second 5140 on the weekend with case, $28 Cdn.

Joel

Back